Search Unity

ATI Radeon 200 anyone?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by bigkahuna, Sep 30, 2006.

1. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

I've got someone with one of these and he's getting miserable framerates (3 fps) even though he's using a fairly fast AMD Athlon 2.3 GHz system. I've searched around for info on this chipset, and the specs look pretty weak. Has anyone had any experience with this chipset before? My main test platform has less than 1/2 the cpu power of his and an old nVidia FX5500 graphics board, but I'm still getting about 5x the framerates he is. Argh, I hate ATI graphics cards...

I found this neat little utility:

http://www.realtech-vr.com/glview/download.html

which should tell me more when he gets around to running it.

2. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

I just got the OpenGL graphics card report and it's attached as a text file:

Attached Files:

3. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

It's the Radeon Xpress200, and integrated Radeon graphics card (no hardware vertex processing, etc.). But whether it runs decently or not - that very much depends on what exactly is he running (is it using large amounts of geometry? many pixel lights? anti-aliasing?). You could try sending the webplayer or the standalone player to us with ReportBug.app, we'll investigate what's happening.

4. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Thanks Aras, the answer to most of those questions are "yes". I've created a "demo" application that uses almost everything Unity can do with little regard for performance. My reason for posting was more to find out just what the Radeon Xpress 200 is capable of doing or if anyone else has had experience with it. If my demo game doesn't run on it, it's not really a problem at this point.

What surprised me was that this particular graphics system was delivering about 1/5th the performance I'm getting on another, much older system with a GeForce FX5500 even though the Radeon is a "newer" and supposedly more advanced graphics system.

I've sent you folks a web player to play with, your comments and feedback are appreciated.

5. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Never judge graphics hardware by the year it's released :) And yes, the performance differences between low-end and high-end can easily be a magnitude or two (that does not say that FX5500 is high-end of course...).

Anyway, if you can send the player to us. Maybe it should be that slow on that machine, maybe not.

6. Brian-Kehrer

Brian-Kehrer

I have also had issues with a friend running the radeon xpress 1100 with AMD chipset getting miserable framerates. Any ideas?