Search Unity

Atavism by Neojac

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by cookimage, Jul 1, 2014.

1. cookimage

cookimage

Good news , spoken to Unity and it has been sorted that we can get updates done much faster. Latest version of Atavism is now updated to Unity Store.

VicToMeyeZR likes this.
  2. cookimage

cookimage

3. 3D Omelette Studio

3D Omelette Studio

Hi Cook,

not sure if it is just me, but this movement speed needs quit some fixing, since when you setup the startup race/class startup movement speed ie: 3 to start slow because the default is 6 or 7 and it is quite speedy for my liking.
    so, once you create a new character and enter the world, the currently set startup speed works on and off.
    you just never know when it will work.

meaning you login, and it works, then logout and log back in at a later time and it doesnt, the movement speed get overridden by default i think it is 6 or 7, the you move around then after a while the setup startup speed kicks in and player slows down to preset 3 movement speed and viceversa.

so in other words this is not constant, some times it works and some times it doesnt, so at its current state you can not depend on it.

maybe other can corroborate this, but i have been testing this quite in depth and so far my results are not satisfactory

please advice.

4. cookimage

cookimage

Thanks for the feedback, Ill get sooms and others to test it and get back to you.

5. Ebolinux

Ebolinux

Where do we get Cygwin from? I don't see it in the .unitypackage

6. cookimage

cookimage

7. Ebolinux

Ebolinux

Thanks for the link.

Finally got it working. I can create a player & connect. When it enters the world the character falls through the ground. Any idea why? I'm using your default map and setup right now.

Another question. Where is UMA-Atavism5.unitypackage & AtVoxelterrain_V1.unitypackage located?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
  8. cookimage

cookimage

9. Ebolinux

Ebolinux

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure how to do that. Inside unit > atavism online > everything is empty. There is nothing under player character setup and I can not add or click on anything to add anything. Instances is empty as well. There is nothing there. I entered the DB info in the data base tab and both say success when test connection is pressed. Server start fine & I can connected.

I also asked you a while back if atavism online contacted your servers at all. I was wondering what would happen if you went out of business or stopped supporting it. If I recall right the response said that atavism does not contact you in any way. When I open up atavism online I have to register & login to activate & use the atavism online editor. And it does not look like its a one time login. So what happens if you go out of business or stop supporting atavism???? If we cant logon and contact your server it looks like no one will be able to work with the activism through unity at all.

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/mmo-construction-kit.179338/page-14#post-1593820

10. cookimage

cookimage

That post is about the server contacting Atavism which it does not. Only thing that contacts Atavism is the editor in unity. We have to control licensing some how so Atavism does not get distributed on Crack sites so that's why you login through editor to use the editor only, the same way you do when you login to a paid version of Unity to register the license on that computer. With us if that ever happens that we go out of business we will release source code to everything and it will not any longer need any login proses. We have been in business for over 8 years now so I don't think that would happen. It seems there might be a problem grabbing the information from your database for the editor. If you can send me your Skype details to info@neojac.com I can add you to Skype and see if we can get this fixed for you asap.

11. cookimage

cookimage

12. Ebolinux

Ebolinux

Hi cookimage, thanks for the info. I appreciate your honesty in explaining how it work and how you have it setup!

I'll contact you when I have a chance today and so we can get it working. I have been very impressed with your support so far! Thanks.

13. Moerk75

Moerk75

Hi Cookimage and Sooms.

I've got some technical questions concerning Atavism mostly about physics.

How many characters are you aiming for onscreen in combat at the same time?

How many lighting sources/effects are you aiming for supporting onscreen at one time?

Will texture resolution be scaleable based on lets say distance?

Can you give examples of what physics are done server-side and client-side? I mean are the server handling character movement and collision simulations?

These are for different reasons very important questions so I hope you are able to give some clarification.

14. cookimage

cookimage

Hi Moerk75 , best is to read our first post on this forum thread as you can see everything that we have or am intending to do with Atavism there. As for graphical looks that can be supported on the screen, that depends what Unity can support as most of that has to do with the client and rendering which is Unity.

15. sowatnow

sowatnow

Hi CookImage,

I got a small problem with spawning mobs. I have followed all the instruction step by step on your website...
    However, when i try to spawn a mob, it doesn't show up. I can see a spawn marker, but no object..
    I get the following error:

eceived MobPathMessage for oid 750, but that object is not a MobNode!
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
    WorldManager:HandleMobPath(BaseWorldMessage)
    MessageDispatcher:HandleMessage(BaseWorldMessage)
    MessageDispatcher:HandleMessageQueue(Int32, Int64)
    MessageDispatcher:HandleMessageQueue(Int64)
    Client:Update()

Any idea what's wrong?

16. Ebolinux

Ebolinux

Have a computer with windows 8 on it. I can not for the life of me get the server to start. I have tried numerous thing and put a lot of time into it and it just wont start. I did get it to start on a window 7 computer after a bit of work.

I'm following the tutorial video exactly. Tried both JDK 7 & 8. Have Cygwin & tried doing a clean install. Have atavism server edited all 3 files by hand & copied the ones from the window 7 box that works. MySQL XAMPP is setup, databases sql files are all inported, ip address in changed in database, user and password was setup, I even deleted the databases and recreated them. I tried restarting the computer, I tried running everything as admin, and tried getting help from several other people and showing them, I tried removing all the java and reinstalling everything, I don't know what else to try. There is no antivirus or firewall running on the computer, nothing is being blocked, none of the ports should be in use. It just wont start.

All it says is STARTUP FAILED - didn't complete after 120 seconds.

17. cookimage

cookimage

Hi guys , send em a email with your log files and ill get it send to our programer. Send it to info@neojac.com

18. Ebolinux

Ebolinux

I can not create an forums account on your website. Do you have to do anything special to create a account?

19. cookimage

cookimage

We have a bug on Atavism login. When you filled in your information don't click the register button but just press enter and it will work. Working on a fix for it at the moment.

20. Ebolinux

Ebolinux

Thanks that worked.

21. cookimage

cookimage

22. cookimage

cookimage

For those looking to add the UMA character system you can find the download in this post on our forum:

UMA Character System

23. Deleted User

Deleted User

I was looking at this package as a possible solution to filling or at least reducing the amount of work needed to handle server side events in a mmo, or even large network instanced world.

I did not chose your tech, and I feel like I must explain why.. so that maybe you can fix your issues.

1. There is a very high risk choosing a unproven tech.
    Your tech is not yet proven therefore you need new licensing options, such as early development options.

2. Your tech is lacking core features
    From what I have read, your guys are too gun hoe on producing new features and not slowing down to improve or revamp core features required for a mmo server engine.
    Here is a list of these core features..
    Server Side Collisions,
    Load Balancing, automatic server based AI.. that can work in a node like environment..
    Each node, needs to be able to pick up jobs and execute them and then return the results as needed to a master server with one simple job.. pick from group of connected server and relay messages to clients who fit the criteria..

3. Scripting interface, with basic LUA, or other based language support.
    Expose important functions for use with LUA scripting type interface - Server side..
    So, plugins can be developed, so they can execute across all server nodes.
    Look at Multiverse for a decent example of this.

4. Your trying to produce your own MMO engine / Kit well producing your own MMO.
    This is your biggest flaw, you cant do both with a team of 10-20 people.. your kidding yourself s..
    And another problem here, will be.... your going to start gearing your tech spec toward your game and when you do this your going to create a lot of problems that would be solved by doing more generic functions vs game spec functions... I can already see this in your stat system, and tree based systems... a MMO engine should know next to nothing about the game game logic.. you should be able to code all of that in with script helpers..
    Your closed source, is fine.. if you dont embed all the game logic into it.

So, my advice to you is stop focusing on too many things at one time.
    Instead focus on key things required, and then test those key things, and then redo and test again.

24. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Cook, do you offer server installation on linux system? I can't get the server installed properly.

25. cookimage

cookimage

26. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

Your logic is slightly flawed. All features are plugins. If you don't want a feature, don't use the plugin. If you want to change a feature "script" your own plugin. Therefore none of their features they use for their MMO will be "forced" on the users of the engine. Also, only the core is locked, if you by the upgraded package, you get the source to ALL the plugins.

27. Deleted User

Deleted User

Please correct me if I am wrong.. (although they are a simple plugin in unity, they are not on the server side)
    My logic is, these features are tightly integrated into the server side code therefore separating them or load balancing them is going to be a night mirror.

28. cookimage

cookimage

All plugins are server side as well as client side. For server side you need to upgrade to get the source code to make changes.

VicToMeyeZR likes this.
  29. cookimage

cookimage

Here is some screenshots we have done with our MMO Neos that's using Atavism. The good thing with making our own MMO is we can test things in real time in a full project environment to see whats bugged in Atavism.

30. Deleted User

Deleted User

Your game looks great... But the problem is your resources are spread to thin.

Instead of creating a full fledged game, you should be creating very basic turtorials on how to use your tech in meaningful ways.
    You have very little documentation available.

Your game should be nothing more then a demo of your tech, and it should be given as a basic easy to understand source example to the developers who purchased your tech.

You all should be focusing on your tech,which is what your current business is.

If you want you build a mmo, should focus on that and not try try to do both.

31. cookimage

cookimage

Actually you should know that more than half our revenue comes from the game so if it was not for the game we would not be any where close to where we are currently with Atavism. I do think you underestimate the importance of testing a product in a full working environment which if we just did a tech demo it would not be anywhere close to a proper testing ground as many things can work fine in a tech demo but on a full game scenario it would not. We also have over 60 pages of documentation on the wiki and its gaining every week.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
  32. Grateyfratez

Grateyfratez

Oh hey look, months later and still complaints about documentation haha.

33. recon0303

recon0303

James should not be commenting you do not have any creditability sir.

Please link the 60 page of docs please. I did go to wiki, and seen very little. So any information would be great Thanks .!!

Keep up the great work Cooks!

I wish everyone the best with your games and Cooks with his MMO framework.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
  34. cookimage

cookimage

When I was counting I was counting each section or link as a page on wiki, This one here will most likely be the most useful as it explain nearly every plugin in detail.After we get Neos next test run out I will start doing some things on Twitch channel every now and then so you can ask me questions directly and see how to do it. Like a class setup. I have found many ask me questions which is not really related to Atavism but more so how to do things in Unity and I don't mind sharing the few good tips I have picked up using it at all.

Wiki Reference Section

35. Ebolinux

Ebolinux

We have been using Atavism for a short while now. Its making great progress and all the folks from Atavism have been SUPPER friendly and helpful. They have gone above and beyond in assisting us in various ways. I own several companies outside of anything that has to do with Unity3d or games. And as a business owner I can tell you that Atavism is putting themselves in a great position by both building their own game and building a server along side it to offer to other developers who wish to do the same.

36. cookimage

cookimage

Here is a quick video showing housing system in the MMO game we are building using Atavism. Its the object/claim system that comes with the standard Atavism and allows you to place many objects down in your claim and its sinc over the network.

37. Teila

Teila

This is very nice, Cookimage! I am still watching and waiting for Atavism to be complete. :) I would love to see a video of this actually in Atavism rather than Neosworld. Neosworld seems "worlds" ahead of Atavism and yes, I know you are using it for testing the kit.

Also, will those of us with the Developer's pledge kit get the modular pieces as assets? So far only one item has been released on the asset store so kind of wondering about this since we spent so much money.

I am still hoping Atavism will be usable for us in one of our projects so please keep all of us that donated money to this project in the loop. I don't even get update emails anymore, which I find odd.

38. Ebolinux

Ebolinux

Looks supper good!!!!! nice work cookimage.

39. cookimage

cookimage

Most of what you saw there is in current version of Atavism, except the selection color change and moving objects up and down. Those things will be in next update coming soon. Developers Package will be getting nearly all modular Units we build our self's for sure. I will see if I can start the news letter again for Atavism soon as we haven't send one out in a while and have just been posting here and on our forums with updates and information.

Teila likes this.
  40. 2dchaos

2dchaos

Hello there, very interesting system ;] I have some questions:
    -I'm a playmaker user, is it possible to use it with your engine?
    -Does the voxel engine come with the starter package available on the asset store?
    -Since you have a login system, could you provide a limited time/user demo of your system?

Thank you ^^

41. cookimage

cookimage

You can code stuff that will only be displayed on one client thus not networked with playmaker but if you need to do coding for server you cant use playmaker as its not really a coding language but more just a tool. The voxel engine does not come with the Atavism standard version , but is sold separately. That building system you see there how ever is not voxel and does come with the starter package. We have a demo we put on , with request so send me a email to info@neojac.com if you would like to see it.

radar089 likes this.
  42. 2dchaos

2dchaos

Thank you for the quick answers @cookimage, sent you an email. ;]

43. cookimage

cookimage

44. 3D Omelette Studio

3D Omelette Studio

wow, i cant believe its been now almost a year since atavism release its first alpha to its backers
    and me being one of then and watching the engine grow.
    gratz Atavism devs :)

Now, is there any chance for an update soon?
    its been almost 2 months since last quick incremental 2.1.1 fix.

the housing video shown above looks great, but the current housing that atavism has is not even close to that. so do not tease please unless you planing to add to the standard atavism that we all share.

In the other hand, i heard was atavism crew stopped giving update dates due of not delivering the promised dates. so they mentioned that no more promises of dates since they will work on the always postponed server side collisions and authiritative server side for a while, and they mentioned they still do updates during the time, but not a single word of the advancement of server side collisions nor bug fixes.

So again back to the dark :-(

I wish you guys can add real basic must have mmo core features to atavism,
    something like what any other mmo game has as basic like:

- grouping/party <-----this is a core mmo must have feature.
    - friends <-----this is a core mmo must have feature.
    - clan/guild <-----this is a core mmo must have feature.
    - Arenas/battlegroups <-----this is a core mmo must have feature.
    - controlled instanced zones <-----this is a core mmo must have feature.
    -instanced private dungeons <-----this is a core mmo must have feature.
    -chat channels : local,zone,world,party,guild etc... <-----this is a core mmo must have feature.
    -a pet system available to all or only to a class or race <-----this is a core mmo must have feature.
    -mount or vehicle system <-----this is a core mmo must have feature.

i can go on and on , but at least with those features one can have a decent basic playable game demo.

--there are even some ngui scripts to add ngui support to atavism but all ive seen are rumors and not a solution as of yet.

Imo, all the above are core if not a must have feature being that pretty much any mmorpg has it without exception as a base feature.

without the above it just does not feel like a real basic mmorpg game.

hopefully at least 1 or 2 features can be thrown as a treat in a soon update this year.

and i mean this because these must have features are not even in the roadmap any more, so it sadens me to know they may not get added anytime soon within the next 6 to 12 months. :-( what????

I have requested or brought this up in several occasions in other atavism threads a few months ago and nothing has been done , not a single feature has been added,
    all i got is:
    "this features are already implemented on the atavism server, they just need to be added to the unity client"
    So??? I think they still sitting in the server side and still no unity client side yet,
    therefore no playable or functional feature yet.
    and if iam not mistaken this response was around 6 to 9 months ago.
    and still no damn signs of them yet :-(

well if they are already implemented on the server side, isnt that half way done?? but still no features as of yet or plans at all. ill be damned :-(

so, to atavism developers:
    please,pleasssseeeeee at least add some of the above features so we can at least be able to release anything playable within the next 6 months.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
    Teila likes this.
  45. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

Well said ^ I don't know why anyone wouldn't want you to put out updates. That make no sense. Would like to hear something on whats going on as well.

46. TerritoryGamer

TerritoryGamer

Have you guys done anything in regards to player leveling? As I think that really needs to be implemented if it's not already and locking certain weapons so they can't be used until a certain level. If this is currently not in the system then it needs to be added.

47. toloo

toloo

I do not work for me Atavism Online Editor
    please help

upload_2014-10-11_3-7-33.png

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
  48. SLThompson

SLThompson

Are there any present plugins for adding user in-game purchases or game payment/subscription?

49. Tom_Timothy

Tom_Timothy

@Jeff there is not at this time but you could make a web page have a subscription and make account creation throw web page like a lot of mmo do. or you could make a web store that they buy tokens gold bars what ever and tie that to your database so they buy on web page then it transfers to database.

50. cookimage

cookimage

3D Omelette Studio - Next update will have a basic instance limit system in place as far as I know and that update is very close. With that you will also be getting the housing system you have seen in that video, it uses the one that's in current Atavism with some more features which will be in next update.

TerritoryGamer - Player leveling is fully implemented already, you can also choose your standard XP leveling for character progression or just plain Skill leveling for character progression. You can also set items like armor or weapons to only be useable at a certain xp level or skill level.

toloo - I got your email and send you one back so we can get this fixed for you.

Jeff00001 - currently no real cash purchases system but there will be one coming. Like Tom said you could link it to your website account system and have players sub there as you can control login to your game with your website account system as well.

To all sorry for late response, dam Unity was suppose to alert me if there was any new posts on this thread and for some reason it stopped doing so.