Search Unity

Atari Box?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RichardKain, Jun 17, 2017.

1. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Legit or not, they do look kinda cool.

2. Ryiah

Ryiah

They look painful for long term use. :p

3. RichardKain

RichardKain

So were the original Atari 2600 controllers. But I suppose if this thing is going to do any level of emulation, it would need to have an "authentic" Atari 2600 joystick.

4. Murgilod

Murgilod

So it should either be too stiff to move reliably or so loose that it can't possibly recenter?

5. RichardKain

RichardKain

Yep, at least if they want it to be the authentic experience.

I've considered rigging up an arcade-control style Atari stick. I have the parts I would need for it, but somehow it almost feels like a waste. The 2600 joysticks were just so primitive. Four directions and a single button. I admire how much they were able to squeeze out of so little tech, but in our modern era it's just so primitive.

I have noticed that my young nephews have a bit of trouble figuring out modern controllers, however. I have to wonder if my generation benefited from a more gradual video game learning curve.

Ryiah and TylerCode_ like this.
  6. TylerCode_

TylerCode_

From my understanding, they want this to be a hardware platform not just a "classic" box. I'm very curious how it will be marketed and what configurations it will ship in.

I agree, they do look quite nice. I can't say I'd even be mad if these came with the device. I'd have to redo part of my design but it could be adapted to that.

7. TylerCode_

TylerCode_

8. RockoDyne

RockoDyne

Don't worry. I'm sure you'll plug in a genesis/megadrive controller, and it'll be just like old times.

9. RichardKain

RichardKain

I'm not sure that they are going to have the classic input serial port. That concept joystick looks like it's going to be wireless, most likely Bluetooth. I imagine that you will be able to plug the majority of USB standard controllers into it, and possibly pair a decent number of Bluetooth controllers to it.

10. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

I highly doubt that will be the only control option for the AtariBox. I am guessing they will also include an Xbox style controller. They will most likely design everything around BlueTooth, and offer multiple controller styles.

zombiegorilla likes this.
  11. derf

derf

Its probably the onscreen controller for the UI mouse pointer. After you select the game you wish to play you have to put down that controller and pick up the gaming controller you need to use.

I wonder if Atari is attempting to create some kind of entertainment system like the Nintendo Wii with its widgets ranging from shopping to weather to Netflix, etc. You can watch movies, play music order right off of your TV or play the latest games.

12. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

I highly doubt it. It seems like their “strategy” is somewhere between lets throw stuff at the wall to what sticks, and trying squeeze money out of a brand that used to have value. Those kind of entertainment systems already exist. And while there clearly isn’t a dominant player in that market, Atari isn’t in any position to challenge for that position. A handful of prototype renders and some vague details is long way from an actual product.

I find it funny that they release these images without actually providing details. I’d bet that it is primarily a form of market research. Toss out an undescribed image and see what think it is, or what they want it to be and go from there.

If that joystick existed, was actually good, and sold for about $10-20 with the ability to use on any system via Bluetooth, I might buy it on a lark. But it doesn’t increase my interest in the ataribox in general, if anything it lessens it.

Ryiah and nat42 like this.
  13. TylerCode_

TylerCode_

I agree fully. In my discussions with them though I will say they referred to it as a "Hardware Platform" and I know it will have Hulu and Netflix out of the box. I hope it comes bundled with something besides this cause for 200 ish I have to be compelled to get it.