Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Atari Box?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RichardKain, Jun 17, 2017.

1. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

At $45, guessing probably not. ;)

2. elbows

elbows

After reading that drivel I feel like shooting myself right in the Connected Lifestyle.

Branded lifestyle choices eh, passe marketing 101 - dressed up to seem exciting and new but really such lifestyle marketing is an old concept now. It's even worse when its laid on thick and without shame, and without the brand having first been rejuvenated with some actual products in the modern era. Of course this criticism means nothing if the speakerhats are actually decent rather than cheap tat, and the other announcements lead to real and decent products. At this stage I have yet to see anything other than signs of extremely lazy milking of the brand.

3. Player7

Player7

haha :D

I see that hat having more appeal if they licensed it for other companies to offer for custom designed hat apparel.. it maybe a gimmick, but there still appeal for branded gimmicks with a style that the end users desires. Atari isn't it for most people, afterall who F*** is Atari to a newer generation. So l think they could still make money from it they stopped thinking anyone wanted such hats with Atari branding on it and they'd probably stand to make more money from it that way.

4. Ryiah

Ryiah

It's entirely due to their history of repeated failures and has nothing to do with the drivel in that paragraph. If they were able to acquire funding through more traditional means they would have done so, but no one other than fans are going to treat them as anything more than a liability at this point.

zombiegorilla likes this.
  5. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Or if they actually had the money.

6. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Wow... We have a winner for the most craptacular marketing drivel of 2017 (maybe the decade). That is just amazing. Especially the part about not needing headphones. In what way is a big ugly baseball cap an improvement over bluetooth earbuds? They did forget to mention VR though. Will it also have optional wireless fidget spinners?

Thank you Atari for taking a loved brand from my youth and turning it into joke.

Here is a better option... not nearly as ugly, and has a microphone.
    https://www.mychoicesoftware.com/pr...ss-knit-stocking-beanie-with-microphone-black

7. Murgilod

Murgilod

I'm just glad somebody is finally cornering the "asshole on the bus who won't stop playing music through their phone at full blast" market.

8. FrankenCreations

FrankenCreations

Lets be real here. I love atari, grew up with it. That marketing pitch you posted was a pretty lame pickup line almost as bad as askin a chick in a bar if she has any irish in her. I think moderators should have opinions. I also think the atari everyone fell in love with died long ago. Saying thank you for making the brand I loved as a child into a joke was a valid opinion, its how he and many others feel. I would love to see atari come back big but they aren't going to do it by slapping their logo on a crowdfunded turd that already has better competitors. I truly hope they drop the love us because we were your baby blanket nostalgic mess and do something real but the chances are slim.

EDIT: It seems that the person who posted before me deleted his post where he was calling out the haters and letting zombieGorilla know he should be a moderator only and not have personal opinions so this post seems a little out of nowhere. I don't think its really appropriate to call people haters then delete your post as soon as someone responds but here we are.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  9. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

On the other hand people sometimes vent. Then later they have a chance to cool off and they make a different decision. It's just part of being human and despite the Internet seeking to collect everything for all eternity I think it should be any person's right to be able to change their mind and edit or even delete a post they made earlier. I might be ticked off as can be at one point of time. That doesn't mean that represents who I am the other 99% of the time.

Kiwasi likes this.
  10. FrankenCreations

FrankenCreations

I agree and disagree. We are human and get worked up to say things we shouldn't. We should be able to take these things back. We shouldn't be able to remove it from existence and pretend it never happened making the person who responded after look ridiculous. A better way would be to own up to saying things in the heat of the moment and explaining that you've calmed down enough to see the error.

11. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

I get that. It is very possible he had no clue you responded to it while he was doing it. Maybe he was editing and then just deleted it during the time you were replying. Just saying nobody knows such things the true intentions of another what is going on inside their head. I am all for personal responsibility and also for trying to attain enlightenment... a greater understanding. Wow that sounds kind of nuts. lol Anyway just saying often what makes things such a big deal is the follow-up to such things. The original person can change their mind and yet others will keep it going.

You don't look ridiculous. Just look like someone who replied to a post the author decided to delete. No harm done, right? :)

On the subject... I do wish they would get with it on this Atari thing and just give some deeper info. Like do they even have this thing designed yet? Is it final? How will the games be distributed? Do they have any big players helping with that? Is their hope that one day I can go to Walmart and see racks of these games? So many questions... no answers I know of. I stopped even checking on it and forget about except for when I see these threads because I see nothing I can latch onto.

12. FrankenCreations

FrankenCreations

@GarBenjamin thank you for snapping me into a proper way of thinking.
    this was not really nice to say and I would like to say sorry @wheretheidivides. I could have stated that alot nicer and there is no reason for anyone to even be heated about any of it.

Let me retry.

I think the salespitch posted by wheretheidivides was less than pleasing. It did not give me the feeling that Atari was on the right track to make something worth owning. It made me think they were still just riding the name Atari and hoping enough people felt warm and fuzzy over the past to help them. I have no idea what kind of hardware is actually coming out of this, has anyone heard? I hope its something good, something that would sell without the Atari name attached because thats the only way they will get back in the game for real. I do remember the days of Atari and even still play mine on rare occasions but I think that Atari died long ago. I do have a bit of nostalgic love for Atari but nothing short of an actual product will sell me on one. I dont need another flashback and I dont want them to waste our time with pushing a name instead of a uniquely valuable product.

Ryiah and GarBenjamin like this.
  13. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

He also reported several members for disagreeing with his opinion. Basically he wanted everyone who "disagreed" with him to stop. Things don't work that way. Obviously mods have opinions and are free to voice them, as is everyone. Personal attacks, name-calling and trolling isn't allowed. He was warned several posts up. He is gone.

14. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

If they intend for it to support modern game development (which I think they do or did I imagine that or read an opinion here on it?) it seems like they might be thinking of Unity as a dev tool due to its popularity. If that is the case then it is possible someone at Unity knows something about it. Of course they probably couldn't say anything even if they did.

I don't know... think it makes more sense for me to get started on tonight's game dev session than speculating on this.

15. neginfinity

neginfinity

This kind of marketing speech is not very useful, and generally I don't really like this kind of advertising. Also, it looks a lot like spam.

The general idea behind this text seems to be "Be cool, Be Atari!". Or something like that. Meaning, they're trying to appeal to crowd mentality.

I would prefer to know what their device devices is good for and why should I care instead.

16. elbows

elbows

Thats hardly the way of the Atari Connected Lifestyle! Everyone knows that rather than try to make them stop, you just don the Atari Soundware MegaHat to drown out the noise of the non-believers!

17. Ryiah

Ryiah

There are two possibilities at this point. One, the crowdfunding is merely a marketing ploy with the actual revenue from it being treated the same as if you had pre-ordered and not too important. Though this does imply and require that they have investors which is very unlikely given their history.

Two, and this one is much more likely in my opinion, they are in the same situation the Chameleon was where any and all prototypes they have at this point are completely fake, the website and news articles are to gather attention to the crowd funding, and the crowd funding is to gather initial funding and/or show that there is genuine interest in the console in the event that they have someone willing to invest if they can show that there is interest.

My only evidence for the second one is merely that every single picture presented has been a rendering and not an actual device. If they had a final prototype I feel like they would have showcased it and not hidden it away somewhere.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chameleon_(video_game_console)

Are we talking about the individual who was heavily fanboying over it and then created a thread that claimed fanboys weren't allowed to post in it? Because that was just hilarious.

Kiwasi and GarBenjamin like this.
  18. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

Mods have two tools: reply bans for thread specific pests, and bans which can be for a fixed duration, to deal with larger troublemakers.

People have to remember that mods are not unity staff. But also bear in mind that Unity staff are allowed to have opinions too.

It's 2017 where companies have staff that aren't any different from you. They can probably draw the line at disclosing work-related details but still have an opinion*. This is fine, providing the job is not impaired. The staff should not by large represent the company, they should represent their own diversity without dragging the company into it. Common sense.

*Unless you work for Google, tee hee.

HemiMG, Kiwasi and Ryiah like this.
  19. FrankenCreations

FrankenCreations

Whats this term mean? Im unfamiliar with it.:rolleyes:
    I did not realize this, I feel tricked in a way.
    Are you trying to hint at something I'm not aware of here?......I sure hope so because I am interestedif this is the case.
    This exactly.

What are or are there any actual facts? I dont mean that as a rhetorical question. Can we list what we do know for sure because altough not a "fanboy" I am definitely curious and interested. All I know so far for sure is Atari is talking about releasing something that looks like a rendering of a small set top box. There has been enough guesswork and buzz about it on this thread that I'm not sure whats actually known anymore and all I can get out of the Atari ad campaign is that something is being crowndfunded I think but I dont know what and the Atari lifestyle is soon to be the new hip thing that replaces hemp beanie caps and fidget spinners.

20. Ryiah

Ryiah

FrankenCreations and GarBenjamin like this.
  21. FrankenCreations

FrankenCreations

Well thats not alot of facts but at least its something. I had not seen what was in that link previously. Thanks for that.

22. Ryiah

Ryiah

23. RichardKain

RichardKain

There have been some new developments. Not a lot of information, but we now have a general price range for the theoretical device. It looks like it's going to be in the $250 - $300 price range. It is also going to be using some manner of custom AMD chip. I'm not certain if this is going to be for the CPU, or the GPU. Or possibly both, it could be squeezing both functions onto a single chip. (as is not that unusual in modern computing hardware) We do know that it will be running Linux as its default operating system. It will be a customized version of Linux, with an interface that is designed for the TV screen. But it will still be Linux.

With this limited amount of information, we can't say for certain whether this is going to be an ARM platform or an x86 platform. But from previous information provided, I would say they are leaning toward an x86 implementation. This would be good news for Unity developers, as Unity currently has everything needed for deploying to that combination of hardware and operating system.

I am slightly encouraged by the price. On the one hand, it probably means that they do not intend to take a bath on this thing. The Atari Box is not going to be a loss-leader, hoping to make up its production costs with software sales. I don't see that as being a sustainable model in this day and age. Having it priced a bit higher makes sense, even if it limits initial sales. It is possible that it will also have a bit more processing muscle than many of us initially expected. I still don't expect it to be extremely powerful. But with a decent desktop-style processor it is at least likely to have some amount of processing muscle for developers to leverage.

I am still skeptical. I mentioned in earlier posts that the community they build around this thing is what will truly make or break it. After hearing that it will be Linux-based and potentially moddable, I am more convinced of this than ever before. Hobbyists are going to be the backbone of this thing, for better or worse. The people behind this need to understand and embrace this aspect of their user base, and tailor their messaging and community relations accordingly.

24. Player7

Player7

hmm interesting

25. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Very cool that it will have a cpu and gpu!!! I am going out on a limb and saying it will also have RAM. ;)

My biggest take-away is they haven't dropped this yet. It might just happen. Be interesting to see how the crowdfunding goes. That phase ended the RetroVGS. If it makes it through that I will start following this.

I like the built-in retro game library. Hope they take it a step further and work with the homebrew game developers to include some of those great games as well.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  26. Murgilod

Murgilod

So well outside the impulse purchase point for hardware. For $300 I can grab a goddamn PS4 and play, you know, a huge library of good games. I genuinely laughed when I saw this price point. This is laughable. They're actually putting themselves in a price point competition with Microsoft and Sony, which is a monumentally terrible idea.

Ryiah and Kiwasi like this.
  27. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

Yeah, it will be a decent price and performance point, but Microsoft and Sony will be extremely tough competition. Atari will need something to set it apart from the existing obvious choices.

28. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

If the Atari Box performs the same as an Xbox One or PS4, here are a couple ways maybe Atari could set themselves apart:
    1) Include Steam client (this would instantly give them a massive playable library)
    2) Be more open to indie devs than Microsoft and Sony. MS and Sony still want to block most people from their platforms. Atari could go the Steam route and let everybody into their platform. At a minimum, that would give them a massive number of potential developers.
    3) Make every box a potential dev kit. Microsoft originally teased about that but then pulled back and only released a very limited UWP. If Atari made every box a real dev kit, they could probably sell a million boxes just to developers.

Also, I suspect they will offer to include a collection of Atari 2600 titles with the Atari Box. That would be neat for a quick jolt of nostalgia, but it would not be a significant value for most gamers.

29. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Their vague information already talks about being able to run existing compatible games. That kind of ticks box #2 there, and box #1 seems like a good fit.

The catch with #1 is that on its own it wouldn't make money for Atari.

30. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

Yeah, a Steam client would not be a direct money maker for Atari. It would just be a way to sell boxes.

31. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

The place where Microsoft and Sony are honestly weak is support for indie devs. Atari could exploit that. If Atari did decide to go after indie devs and hobby devs, then Microsoft and Sony would likely be very slow to react.

32. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Its also a vanishingly small market. I'll pick up an indie PC or mobile game because I have the hardware already, its low cost, low risk. I'm not likely to buy new hardware just to play indie and hobby games.

33. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Indeed. They will need some exclusives (good ones), to draw people to their product, people need a reason to buy it.

Agreed on the market size part as well. If there were gold in them thar hills, Sony and
    MS would already be mining it. In fact Sony has already taken a few shots at and has MS (and steam). If those companies can't seem to make money at it, I wouldn't place any bets on the speaker hat guys.

Ryiah and Kiwasi like this.
  34. elbows

elbows

At this stage its far from clear to me that they even want to compete with the big console players. That way probably lies doom anyway, better to do something a bit different with a different business model. By doing it on the cheap and crowdfunding it they might be able to build something somewhat sustainable on a smaller scale than the 'real' console business.

35. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Yea, but it's not different (from what we know) than has been done before. And they are at a similar price point as real consoles. People buy consoles for games, content is king. They haven't really talked about content yet at all. If they manage a deal with steam or itch or something they may have shot. But with crowdfunding, it is going to be a challenge to secure something like that. Hopefully they have some big aspect that they haven't announced yet.

36. FMark92

FMark92

If they did, it would be the first thing they'd talk about.

37. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

I was not saying Atari should only focus on indie games. They should definitely encourage AAA titles on their platform. But they should also make it very easy for indie devs and hobby devs to use their platform. Atari does not have enough clout at this point to get meaningful exclusives, so they won't be able to rely on big name exclusives to help sell their platform. Microsoft and Sony are still intentionally difficult to work with for small indie devs. Atari could exploit that to sell boxes.

38. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

That is the way the tradition console market has succeeded. I don't think Atari is in a position to deliver any big name exclusives at this point, though. To build some initial market, Atari will need to get a decent install base before trying to land any good exclusives.

39. RichardKain

RichardKain

Well, one method that Atari could use is collaborating with smaller indie devs to work on Atari-owned IP. Atari is not a development power-house at this point, far from it, in fact. But they do still own intellectual properties that some people still remember. Using those in conjunction with some talented indie devs could produce some exclusive titles for their Atari box. There are some indie developers who would probably be willing to put a few months to a years worth of work in for the chance to work on a storied property from the days of yore. I, for one, would be excited to work on a modern interpretation of Missile Command. (always one of my favorites)

GarBenjamin likes this.
  40. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

And they'll need to have compelling content to get an decent install base. It's a catch-22. If they were a large company, they could do a deep investment in hardware amor1tize it over time to get the install base, or simplly pay for developers to port/create content. Like Microsoft did for their phone. They launched with several Disney titles because they paid for nearly 20 titles to ported to windows. But part of the problem is that they don't have the time to build an install base, they are crowdfunding. They need a large base to agree to pay for it long before it ships (if ever). Right now it is just a marketing idea with no specifics, no money, a terrible business history, terrible marketing, no unique content and is largely perceived as a joke. That is a lot to overcome. They need people saying 'Cool!' right now, not 'WTF?'

Wierdly, I do hope they have some crazy ace up thier sleeve that will allow them disrupt the market in a positive way. Innovation is good, and I have fond memories of Atari. But, literally everything they have done so far is ridiculous. It is a fickle and tough market, they are way out of thier depth. In fact, I would almost be willing to bet that the group running it will tank it and still make money for the shareholders. I hope not, but it is a common story for those types. (Investment bankers). Now... if someone like Woz was behind this, I would be a huge cheerleader for it. But these guys aren't even part of the industry, let alone tech visionaries.

ShilohGames and Kiwasi like this.
  41. verybinary

verybinary

I vote on Kiwasis name.
    AtariMcAtariFace needs to stick.

I heard about this yesterday, and looked it up today. I have high hopes for this if its done right.
    the prerelease will almost definitely be pulling at the heartstrings of the gamers that started out with this. but 2600 games are not all they have done. when they got done with the hardware, I still saw their icon on various games throughout the years. now, it seems like they are getting back into the hardware run.
    I anticipate this thing starting out rocky, bundled with 2600 games and a few titles they have worked on since, along with some downloadable 3rd party games that you can get on any other system as "icing on the cake", but if they can snag some quality exclusives, I can see this going from gimmick, to a real console contender. I'd put faith into it, and depending on when this releases, I'll offer up an RPG I'm currently working on as one of those exclusives. Even a launch title if the timing is right(Unity accessibility pending)

42. neginfinity

neginfinity

Or it is possible to double it and get a Vive.

....and now i'll be stuck thinking why the hell does Vive cost more than a PS4.

Shinobi1507 likes this.
  43. neginfinity

neginfinity

That would make it into another Steam Machine.

I believe Steam Machines are dead.

44. verybinary

verybinary

Steam Machine as a platform, possibly. But streaming is going to be the new era of gaming. If AtariBox was my baby, I wouldn't integrate Steam. I would rather live or die as my own thing. Using Steam would make me another clone. But downloading or streaming games to the box is where I think "it" is and going to be.

45. FrankenCreations

FrankenCreations

Yes and quantum computing is touted as the direction we are headed however I dont think either will happen soon.

Kiwasi and zombiegorilla like this.
  46. FMark92

FMark92

GUYS, GUYS, AI. AAAAAAA IIIIIIIIIIIII.

FrankenCreations likes this.
  47. Shinobi1507

Shinobi1507

This, I would love this. I've been harassing them pretty much non stop for info on the console since even if I didn't get any IP to work with, I'd love to have a title made for it by launch day.

1: I doubt they would preload, but since I'd bet it will be running a debian variant. Putting steam on there would be very easy.
    2: I really hope for this, as said above I've been harassing for info to start a project for it.
    3: I don't see any reason why they wouldn't since it's an open platform but I've seen dumber things.

48. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

I would go ahead and get started on your game. Ultimately, there will virtually nothing specific you will have to design around (possibly market). Based on info known so far, it’ll be a generic pc platform. Unlikely the controllers are going to be anything unique. So you can build right now for it unity. If it every actually get produced, there may an sake or something that will handle the hardware stuff. And the thing never sees the light of day, you’ll still have a game that works on several other platforms. :)

Ryiah likes this.
  49. Shinobi1507

Shinobi1507

That's sort of been what I've been thinking and I've been refining my project pipeline over the last couple months in preparation for it. Last week I started on the design doc cause I agree, I don't think the controller will be a retro throwback or anything so it should work fine. Plus again, even if the console is a bust (I plan on backing it if it gets me an early unit) I pop the game on steam and maybe try to port to another console.

The beauty of Unity

50. Shinobi1507

Shinobi1507

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
unityunity