Search Unity

Astro Attack - Retro Arcade Action mashed with everything Video Game

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Time-Jockey, Apr 2, 2016.

1. Time-Jockey

Time-Jockey

Hey everyone,

My name is James from Blocky Pixel. I've been working in the unity space for a few years, and shipped a handful of unity games. For the last year or so, I've been working on "Astro Attack" in my spare time - my casual mobile take on the classic Space Invaders.

2016-03-31 17.16.55_640.png 2016-03-31 17.17.36_640.png

Astro Attack is inspired by my love of video games, and I've tried to find a little something for everybody. My goal for this game is for somebody to open it up, and see some obscure reference to something they loved as a kid, and get excited about it. It might be something from an adventure game they loved, or a console they grew up with. PC, Console, Arcade - any of them (I still want to get a ship inspired by the time machine in Space Quest 4).

The mechanics are pretty simple, and you unlock new ships by spending coins on boxes of delicious "Astro Puffs" that contain new ships to play :) I've got about 40 ships in the game, but have plans for an awful lot more. We're working on a classic Gameboy-inspired theme at the moment, with the classic green colour scheme.

2016-03-31 17.18.35_640.png 2016-03-31 17.24.06_640.png 2016-03-31 17.37.51_640.png

Astro Attack is still under development, but we should have some launch details pretty soon. If you're interested in following the project, I regularly post updates to twitter (@JamesBowling) and facebook (Blocky Pixel)

I love any feedback I can get, so please let me know if you have any thoughts, good or bad. Have any ships you'd like to see in the game, let me know that too!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

All around very clean looking. Graphics and gameplay.
    Nice work.
    Are you considering to release on PC? Controls would be super simple to convert. ;)

3. Time-Jockey

Time-Jockey

It's certainly an option ;) I play most of the time in the editor with the mouse, anyway. It wouldn't be hard to get in controller support either. I was actually thinking yesterday it would be amazing to get an arcade cabinet version!

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  4. Time-Jockey

Time-Jockey

We have a release date! :D Astro will be on the store on the 14th April!