Search Unity

Assignment of rights for a client with unity asset store assets

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by corjn, Jun 29, 2018.

1. corjn

corjn

Hey,
    Me and my team are making a VR game for a client. We are supposed to deliver all the unity project in the end, leaving to them all the copyright of our work. So that way they could leave the project to another team/studio later for exemple.
    But we are using a lot of assets coming from the asset store (Bolt, Amplify, etc.)
    Just wanted to know if there is any legal issue doing that, as it's said "one lisence per seat" on the asset store.
    Thanks in advance for any help,
    Jonathan

2. ThermodynamicsMakesMeHot

ThermodynamicsMakesMeHot

Based on my understanding of the TOS.

Your client will need to purchase those assets for every person that will be using them.
    You cannot transfer your license to someone else.
    You bought them, if you give the source you are essentially pirating the assets.

It's seems pretty clear that you can use assets and provide an end product compiled result but you cant provide the source code and assets to people.

Your client should have purchased them for you to use so they own the license, and your using 1 seat. They have no right to the source code of assets you purchased.

I'm not a lawyer, just reading the TOS and using common sense.

corjn likes this.
  3. TonyLi

TonyLi

Yes, there are a few legal concerns, all addressable. Make sure to address them before delivering the project to the client, as they won't appreciate receiving a project that's in legal violation of Unity and Asset Store EULAs.

1. You can't transfer licenses to another account. And they can't use the project without licenses. They can use a final build if that's all you're delivering, but they can't use the Unity project. Have them create an Asset Store account. Then you can either give them a list of assets that they must buy using the account, or you can buy the assets for them with that account and add the cost to your invoice. When you deliver the project, make sure they're the sole owner of the account, with all the login info, etc.

2. Find out how many seats in the client's organization will touch the project. For example, if they have 5 people who may open the project, buy 5 seats. For studio licenses (i.e., assets without "one license per seat" restrictions), find out how many geographically separate locations they have (e.g., London office and New York office). You'll need to buy a separate license for each location.

3. Find out the client organization's gross annual income. They may also need to purchase licenses for Unity Pro or Unity Plus if they don't already have them. Or at least inform them of this requirement so they can handle it.

EDIT: I see Thermo just posted before me. I'm not a lawyer either, but I've been doing business with the Asset Store for several years. If you have concerns, contact Unity support and/or your lawyer.

corjn likes this.
  4. corjn

corjn

That's what I would have guessed actually. I think we are just going to make a buy list of assets and deleting mine before delivering the project. Then they will just have to re-import all the asset from their seat. And pay another seat if they want another people to work on it.
    Maybe I will also contact Unity support to see what else could be done.

Thanks a lot, it really helps !

5. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

If they buy all the assets you used, you shouldn’t have to delete them from the project. That could really be a pain to get it working properly again. Just make sure they buy them on thier account first.

Kiwasi and corjn like this.
  6. corjn

corjn