Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Question Assign controller button to EventSystem Pressed function

Discussion in 'Input System' started by SkrobieDev, Dec 28, 2020.

1. SkrobieDev

SkrobieDev

I am trying to use a usb Gamepad (NES controller clone) with Unity's Event System menu navigation. So far everything works with navigating the menu but I cannot actually click on any buttons. On any standard controller, buttonSouth will perform whatever action is on the button, but due to the NES controller's A and B buttons being mapped to "Button 2" and "Trigger", it doesn't press the button by default. I am wondering how to implement support for "Button 2 [usb gamepad]" to execute a button. I am using Unity's new Input System, and have an Input System UI Input Module attached to my Event System Object.

Thanks in advance!

kuralab likes this.
  2. SkrobieDev

SkrobieDev

I added a button in input Action that called this function:
    Code (CSharp):
    2. void NSubmit() {
    3.      EventSystem.current.currentSelectedGameObject.GetComponent<Button>().onClick.Invoke();
    4.     }
    This threw null errors so i added a check

Code (CSharp):
    2. void NSubmit() {
    3. if (EventSystem.current.currentSelectedGameObject != null && EventSystem.current.currentSelectedGameObject.GetComponent<Button>() != null)
    4.      EventSystem.current.currentSelectedGameObject.GetComponent<Button>().onClick.Invoke();
    5.     }
    But then realized the reason I got a null error is because I had a dropdown menu in my menu, and call GetComponent<Button> is not universal with the dropdown menu's script.

I'm not sure that I would want to hard code the functionality for the dropdown menu. I am looking for something better integrated into the EventSystem, as on
    Xbox Controller it works perfect with every GUI element

Last edited: Dec 28, 2020