Search Unity

Assign camera bounds at runtime

Discussion in 'Cinemachine' started by Guliz, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Guliz

Guliz

Hi cinemachine pros,
    for each scene i have placed a camera bounds collider and kept the entry points to the scene a bit ouside the bounds. When the player jumps to the next scene i encounter a couple of issues.

First, if i have a target to follow in my virtual camera (DontDestoryOnLoad) it will smooth follow to the players new position when the scene starts even if i set the cameras transfrom position to the players. I did a work around for this by setting the followTarget to none assign the new bounds and wait some time before enabling cinemachine again.

Second, the bounds have some unexpected behavior depending on the cameras position when the scene is loaded. Some times the camera can't enter the bounds some times it jumps some where far away when the player target moves ouside the bounds.

see
    https://imgur.com/a/J26S7

Code (CSharp):
    2. //script on camera
    3.  public void ResetPosition(){
    4.         //have to disable cinemachine for some time otherwise it will not set the position and will smooth follow to the position
    5.         cinemachineBrain.enabled = false;
    6.         virtualCamera.enabled = false;
    7.         cinemachineBrain.transform.position = new Vector3(player.transform.position.x, player.transform.position.y,cinemachineBrain.transform.position .z) ;
    8.         virtualCamera.transform.position = new Vector3(player.transform.position.x, player.transform.position.y,virtualCamera.transform.position .z) ;
    10.         StartCoroutine(DelayCinemachine(0.05f));
    11.     }
    13.   IEnumerator DelayCinemachine(float seconds){
    14.         yield return new WaitForSeconds(seconds);
    15.         cinemachineBrain.enabled = true;
    16.         virtualCamera.enabled = true;
    17.     }

Code (CSharp):
    2. //script on scene controller
    3. void Start(){
    4.         //bugfix: doesn't work to set the camera without position transiation
    5.         cameraController.virtualCamera.transform.position = new Vector3 (StartPlayerPosition.x, StartPlayerPosition.y, cameraController.virtualCamera.transform.position.z);
    6.         cameraController.traPlayerLookAt.transform.position = new Vector3 (StartPlayerPosition.x, StartPlayerPosition.y, cameraController.virtualCamera.transform.position.z);
    7.         cameraController.traTrackingGroup.position = new Vector2 (StartPlayerPosition.x, StartPlayerPosition.y);
    8.         //optimize: when new scene is loaded the camer is outside the bounds and sometimes it's stuck and can't get in
    9.         cameraController.confiner.m_BoundingShape2D = colCameraBounds;
    10. }

Do somebody know a better way of handeling cinemachine on scene change?
    Regards Nija

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
  2. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

The 2D confiner caches the bounding shape's boundaries for performance. When you change the bounding shape, you have to invalidate the cache. Do it by calling confiner.InvalidatePathCache().

You can also stop the virtual camera from smooth blending, and force it to snap to the new target position by setting vcam.PreviousStateIsValid = false. You don't need to disable the brain or the vcam.

So your scene change code could look like this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1.         //script on scene controller
    2.         void Start()
    3.         {
    4.             cameraController.virtualCamera.PreviousStateIsValid = false;
    5.             cameraController.confiner.m_BoundingShape2D = colCameraBounds;
    6.             cameraController.confiner.InvalidatePathCache();
    7.         }

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    Guliz likes this.
  3. Guliz

Guliz

Gregoryl likes this.