Search Unity

1. Full schedule for #UniteBerlin is now available! Featuring talks on our roadmap, hands-on labs and much more! Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 2018.1 has arrived! Read about it here
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Scriptable Render Pipeline improvements, Texture Mipmap Streaming, and more! Check out what we have in store for you in the 2018.2 Beta.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. ARCore is out of developer preview! Read about it here.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Magic Leap’s Lumin SDK Technical Preview for Unity lets you get started creating content for Magic Leap One™. Find more information on our blog!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

Assign an animation that doesn't use a skeleton to a model that does?

Discussion in 'Animation' started by EnderCow, May 13, 2018.

1. EnderCow

EnderCow

Hello everyone,

Say I have a model that I have created in 3dsmax, I have imported this model twice into the project, one with an animation that uses a skeleton rig and one that has an animation that does not. Is there a way to get these animations onto the same model and the same animation controller?

2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

We need to see examples of the two different types of animations - to see what you are talking about - for this - animation on a model that does not have a rig.

To answer your question - the animation can be transferred from the model without the skeleton - onto the model with the skeleton in 3D Max, then you can export both animations into Unity.
    Although - I suspect that will result in unexpected results because if the animation without the rig transforms the model and the animation with the skeleton also transforms the model - you will get double transforms - causing the model not to react properly.

I also suspect you might have limited knowledge on animation/rigging and the nuances of importing animated content into Unity. Suggest researching related topics to gain more info on the process, although this is a good test to gain that knowledge. ;)

Most animations on a rigged character should be driven by the animation rig. Some 'extra' animations can be included like morphs/blend shapes, but any modifier (vertex deformation) based animation does not transfer into Unity without using the morph modifier or using Unity plug-ins - like Megafiers.