Search Unity

Assign an animation that doesn't use a skeleton to a model that does?

Discussion in 'Animation' started by IronhideMakes, May 13, 2018.

1. IronhideMakes

IronhideMakes

Hello everyone,

Say I have a model that I have created in 3dsmax, I have imported this model twice into the project, one with an animation that uses a skeleton rig and one that has an animation that does not. Is there a way to get these animations onto the same model and the same animation controller?

2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

We need to see examples of the two different types of animations - to see what you are talking about - for this - animation on a model that does not have a rig.

To answer your question - the animation can be transferred from the model without the skeleton - onto the model with the skeleton in 3D Max, then you can export both animations into Unity.
    Although - I suspect that will result in unexpected results because if the animation without the rig transforms the model and the animation with the skeleton also transforms the model - you will get double transforms - causing the model not to react properly.

I also suspect you might have limited knowledge on animation/rigging and the nuances of importing animated content into Unity. Suggest researching related topics to gain more info on the process, although this is a good test to gain that knowledge. ;)

Most animations on a rigged character should be driven by the animation rig. Some 'extra' animations can be included like morphs/blend shapes, but any modifier (vertex deformation) based animation does not transfer into Unity without using the morph modifier or using Unity plug-ins - like Megafiers.