Search Unity

Assetstore upload of multiple projects with shared assets?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ProjectMakers, Jun 20, 2022.

1. ProjectMakers

ProjectMakers

Hello people.

I am just finishing the 2nd asset of my series "Modular Assets" for the AssetStore.
    However, here I encounter an inconvenience for which I can't find a satisfactory solution.

In my 1st asset there are textures and shaders, which are also used in the 2nd asset.
    I would not like to create / use everything twice, because if someone buys the assets, then has the same textures or shaders twice.

Therefore, I would like to build my folder structure as follows:
    • Assets
      • ProjectMakers
        • Modular Assets
          • Demo
            • Effects
            • Textures
            • Materials
            • Shaders
            • Prefabs
          • Modular Wands (1st Asset)
          • Modular Swords (2nd Asset)

The problem with this is that I have to specify a folder when uploading to the store, and I can't specify any specific dependencies or exceptions.

So I currently do this by specifying the ProjectMakers folder and removing everything from the folder structure that doesn't belong to the asset I'm about to upload.
    With the specific folders this is only a small thing, but with the shared assets it is quite time consuming and feels very unprofessional.

Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with the shared assets?

2. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

If you develop both assets in the same project and make packages for both, where each package contains assets that are also in the other package, and you import them in a new project, the already existing assets should be excluded from importing when users choose to import the second package. Or they get overwritten, if newer or depending on user choice. I‘m pretty sure I‘ve seen this behavior in store assets too. For instance the Obi physics series.

In short: from the end user perspective there is no duplication. For you it‘s only a matter of ensuring that assets in one package continue to be compatible with the other package, even with older versions - in cases where users update only one of the packages. Or notify users with a popup and in the manual.

ProjectMakers and DragonCoder like this.
  3. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

As for the folder structure, perhaps you can make two separate projects for each where you symlink or hard link only the required folders into the project (or perhaps using source control with branches and branch-specific ignores). Benefit is that you can open either project and immediately see whether it compiles with just the files for an individual package.

ProjectMakers likes this.
  4. ProjectMakers

ProjectMakers

Hello Steffenitterheim,

if I understand correctly, you mean that I should upload the assets from another project?

So that I first finish building the asset in the current project and then move the asset I want to upload to an extra project?
    Then I can define the UnityPackage better and also test the asset better before.

Thank you very much for the quick answer.

5. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

Yes and ideally you set it up so that you can update and test the projects for specific packages with just a few clicks.

ProjectMakers likes this.
  6. nasos_333

nasos_333

If the assets keep the same meta numbers should not duplicate even if are in different folders