Search Unity

Assets - What do you do when they dont exist?

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by ElginR, Sep 11, 2019.

1. ElginR

ElginR

I am new to the forums, forgive me if this is in the wrong location.

Working on my first game release. I've been successful in finding many good assets (2D), however, what does everyone do that relies on the asset store (indie developer) when they cannot find what they need?

2. kdgalla

kdgalla

There's only three possible things you can do (that I can think of):
    1) make it yourself
    2) Hire someone to make them for you (Maybe for free, if you have an artistic friend).
    3) Change your specs so you don't need that asset anymore.

I typically opt for number 1. If I use assets at all, I have to be sure that the assets that I'm using are in a vein where I, myself, can create assets that match the style and quality if I need to.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  3. ElginR

ElginR

If you make them yourself, what tools are you using? Right now I have cheesy placeholders I created in MS Paint.

4. kdgalla

kdgalla

For 2-D I use Corel Photopaint. Photoshop is actually a lot better so I don't really recommend buying Corel unless you get a really good deal.

The best-looking free software that I've come across is Krita https://krita.org/en/ It really looks like it has all of the same features you'd expect from an expensive, professional software package, but I haven't got around to trying it out yet.

5. ElginR

ElginR

I see Coral has a free trial I can check it out with. I'll look at the other as well.
    My artistic skills are some what limited. Do you use a mouse for this or are you working with something like a stylus and tablet? I can do ok with paper and pencil.

6. kdgalla

kdgalla

I've used an intuos tablet, but I found it better than a mouse but still much more difficult compared to just drawing on paper. I also have a flat-bed scanner that I use pretty frequently. I scan hand-drawn art and then mask-it-out in software. For instance, during a gamejam, I made all of the graphics for this game:
    https://beanborg.itch.io/dmvania
    All on four sheets of paper with pencil, pen and one of those cheap, kindergarten watercolor sets that I bought at drugstore across the street. ;)

7. ElginR

ElginR

Awesome work. Seeing other peoples work makes me wish I called off today to focus on the game.
    I've pondered the hand drawn idea for a few games. Always thought it brought a different element to the game that you dont get with digital. Thanks for the advice.