Search Unity

Assets Store revenue

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HolyShark, Jun 5, 2013.

1. HolyShark

HolyShark

Hi,
    I am thinking about releasing a plugin on the assets store. I won't go into detail about the plugin, but I was wondering what I could expect for revenue.
    What is your experience with the Assets Store?

Reading the terms, it seems that Unity also has quite the power over my plugin as well, which is fine, if it yields some revenue. However, there are no statistics available on (other) plugins about the units sold etc., so I cannot make a real estimate.

If I estimate the sold units to be low, I might consider a license outside of Unity, hence I'm asking.

Also, does a plugin aimed at Unity Pro generate considerably less revenue as I would expect it to?

Thanks,
    HolyShark

2. nipoco

nipoco

All is possible. Some people make next to nothing, while others make the big money. It really depends on your plug-in. What it does and the desire of it's function.
    You have to try and find it out by yourself.

3. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

The only three devs making good money out of Asset Store are the PlayMaker and NGUI folks and the Prime31 plugins.
    Those are very exceptions, for most products on Asset Store you can't wait for a constant selling rate.

One of my packages is downloaded from 40 to 200 times a month since release, but there are some months ppl simply won't look for anything on Asset Store.
    Proly be because like any other store they showcase what is already selling instead of what is new, so users don't really know if something new and useful is there and most don't browse the forums much either.

Oh, and for sure a Pro only asset will sell way way less, most Unity users are using basic free version.
    I uploaded right now my first 'pro only' asset and still waiting for review, but I am sure it will sell quite about nothing if compared to popular packages available for Unity basic.

4. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

It always very much depends on "what" you are selling. Some things like "editor extensions" sell better than another "3d model". Things like nGUI for example sell very well due to high demand. Do some market research/stay involved with the community to figure it out.

5. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

They say 10% of the users are making over 2k a month

Beloudest likes this.
  6. nipoco

nipoco

I think there are a some more people, who make good money with the AssetStore. Not sure what "good money" means for you.

And if you have around 40 to 200 sales a month with one of your paid AssetStore items, I'd say you're pretty good in business :D

7. Sisso

Sisso

8. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Yes I asked the asset store folks about sales figures and they could only share (as said above) that around 10% of asset store developers are now making $2000 per month or more, which is pretty impressive - you could live off that.

9. Mr.T

Mr.T

Although I would assume this kind of information is difficult to come by, It would be interesting to know how much of those 10% are 3d model makers.

I can do scripting stuff for my own purposes but can't do commercial grade scripts. 3d models on the other hand are an avenue for a larger group of people like myself.

10. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

#7,8,10 top grossing are models

11. Mr.T

Mr.T

Thanks for that information. :)

If I could be a bit more inquisitive, could I ask where one can come by that kind of information?

EDIT: Never Mind. It appears that its already available at the asset store itself. Top 10 grossing
    Guess I overlooked it

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  12. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

It was mentioned in that Unite 4.2 (?) video that some were cracking 30,000/month

13. Assets-Reporter

Assets-Reporter

14. dentedpixel

dentedpixel

I created this site to help developers track the statistics of their own packages and the performance of the asset store as a whole: http://UnityBuzz.com

I think you might find it helpful when assessing how different packages fair in the store, and what might be worthwhile pursuing.

Ryiah, SarfaraazAlladin and elmar1028 like this.
  15. elmar1028

elmar1028

Pretty neat! Thanks for making this :D

Btw, I can't seem to find my asset (Tutorial Master). Do you list the trending packages only?

16. dentedpixel

dentedpixel

Not a problem :)

Tutorial Master is there: http://unitybuzz.com/stats/assets/Tutorial_Master/

I only list the top 800 assets per major category, so depending on how an asset is doing it can drop in and out of being tracked by the site :-/

Ryiah likes this.