Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Assets not opening from web

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by EvilGremlin, Jun 15, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EvilGremlin

EvilGremlin

I appreciate the desire to make the editor more performant. But I can't open assets I have purchased directly from the website any more. I've tested this on firefox, chrome and edge. Is it just me?

2. Antypodish

Antypodish

Which Unity version?
    Try download through Project Manager.
    There is also Asset Store in Unity.

3. * Package Manager

Antypodish likes this.
  4. EvilGremlin

EvilGremlin

Sorry, let me clarify. All Unity versions I have no longer open the asset store in the editor. There is a note saying the feature has been removed for editor performance. And now none of my assets open directly from the web. I have to search them in the package manager which is slow and requires the exact name. For example I can't search invector and get invector's assets, I have to name each one exactly and one typo or extra space ends the search. I don't mind opening them from the browser instead of the editor, I just can't. And the issue seems to be across every browser.

5. IDK, it works for me. Windows 10 / Chrome browser.
    https://assetstore.unity.com/account/assets
    screenshot1.png
    And it opens Package Manager inside Unity (I have the desired editor and project open):
    screenshot2.png

6. EvilGremlin

EvilGremlin

Thank you for letting me know. I wish I had some clue as to how or why this is happening. All my software is up to date, browsers, unity, windows. I'm totally lost. This is par for the course though. It seems like I get every Unity bug/glitch/error. Another inconvenience I can work around I guess... Again, thanks for the reply. At least I know not to hope for a timely fix now.

7. Maybe you just hit decline when the browser first asked you to open the link in unity. Or virus software or firewall. The possibilities are endless and not every problem is a Unity problem. You're a developer, act like one and find out what is the root cause.

8. adamgolden

adamgolden

For me, for a while now (..still happens in latest alpha) if I click "Open In Unity" it opens the Package Manager and loads the list and the info for the first item in the list, but doesn't open what I picked on the website until I switch back to the browser and click "Open In Unity" again while the Package Manager is still open. Windows 10, Chrome, 2021.2.0a20.

MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  9. BTW, if you use newer Unity, and you have QuickSearch (ctrl+k in 2021 or ctrl+' in 2020), you can try to search in that with the "store:" prefix. Then on right click in theory it should open up in the Package Manager.

10. sxa

sxa

step 1: install Unity 2019 or earlier, and create a dedicated project in that for downloading your assets the old way, and download all your assets
    step 2 : in your actual working project use Asset>Import Package>Custom Package, point it at your local asset folder (on Windows its %appdata%/Unity/Asset Store-5.x) and use the OS file browser search facilities to locate the .unitypackage you want.

alternately there's a third-party asset manager which makes it so much easier.

step 1: install Unity 2019 or earlier, and create a dedicated project in that for downloading your assets the old way, and download all your assets
    step 2 : buy Grab Yer Assets
    step 3 : install GYA in your project, get it to scan your downloaded assets, then import your assets from its UI
    optional step 4 : organise your assets into groups within GYA, and import entire groups at once.

11. adamgolden

adamgolden

The issue mentioned in my previous post appears to be fixed as of 2021.2.0a21 :) ..the only time it won't go directly to Package Manager now is if the editor itself isn't open (..in which case clicking the website link opens the editor splash and the Hub to the Projects list, but clicking a project just closes both the editor splash and the Hub without opening the editor to the selected project).

MadeFromPolygons likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.