Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Assets Manager Pro

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by anthonyk, Aug 22, 2018.

1. anthonyk

anthonyk

Hi everyone !
    I just released a tool I've been using and developing for many years now.
    Let me know if you have any suggestion or question about it !

FEATURES :
    – Setup a searchable list of all your packages
    – Parse packages to display their version number, author, categories, path etc. All fields are searchable using regular expressions.
    – Automatically rename and/or organize packages into folders. Those folders are generated using the asset store categories.
    – Extract any unitypackage as a zip archive (even packages stated as corrupted in the Unity Editor)
    – Quickly check assets inside a package. (Displays a list of file with their asset thumbnail)
    – Quickly check the asset store page of any package
    – Windows explorer right click menu shortcuts (for windows users only)
    – List, index and parse all your unitypackages. Display their assets as a grid of thumnails
    – Search the index using regular expressions
    – Extract any asset from any unitypackage
    – Generate lists of packages
    – PC and MAC support
    – Tested with folders containing thousands of packages

Available on Gumroad :
    gumroad.com/l/unity-assets-manager
    Official website :
    www.exoa.fr/en/portfolio-item/unitymanager/

Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
  2. hasanbayat

hasanbayat

anthonyk likes this.
  3. anthonyk

anthonyk

ok thanks !

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
  4. LadyAth

LadyAth

Will you be adding the option to update packages through Asset Manager Pro? If you will have that functionality, I will happily purchase. I am at my wits end with the asset store in the editor and REALLY need an alternative way to manage, maintain and update my asset hoard.

5. anthonyk

anthonyk

Hi @LadyAth,
    It's not currently possible to do so unfortunatly. The tool can at least check for updates automatically, but the download process needs to be done from the Unity Editor as everything is encrypted...

6. LadyAth

LadyAth

Just to make sure I understand correctly, can Asset Manager Pro show me which assets need to be updated so I can then open that asset in Unity asset store to run the update? Even that would work for me.

7. anthonyk

anthonyk

Absolutely, it's not currently implemented though but it's already on the roadmap for the next update ;)

8. LadyAth

LadyAth

Awesomeness, I'm buying! :)

9. anthonyk

anthonyk

Thank you ! I just submitted the update with the package update checker features on the asset store, it should available in a week ;)

10. AndreasO

AndreasO

Hi there!

Question 1:
    Does this tool work with having several versions of the same package in the search path? I do keep versions of every package in case I don't like the updated one at some point in time. I imagine that the tool might go crazy with like showing lots of out-dated packages that were found although I do have the latest version AND all of the older versions of my assets.

Question 2:
    Is it possible to completely disable any actions that would modify the content in my search paths? I don't want the tool to ever change anything, just do read actions like indexing, parsing, extracting data from the .unitypackage files. I have my very own sorting and archiving system and want to keep it that way. I'm a little nervous if it comes to tools and the possibility that I might even accidentally click on the "sort/rename" button.

Question 3:
    Where is the database stored? Can the storage path be customized?

Idea 1:
    It would also be helpful to have some kind of lists so I could tag my assets any way I want regardless of what the assets are categorized on the Asset Store by the publishers. Personally, I'd like to have the option to create custom lists, e.g. "Favorites", "Tested", "Untested", "Deprecated", etc. Readability of tags might be enhanced by allowing users to color code them.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  11. anthonyk2

anthonyk2

Hi AndreasO,

No problem with that, I do the same actually. The only thing is that those packages will be marked as outdated in the "update" column, but it's not a problem at all.

If you accidentally click on "move and sort" you will be able to cancel the "select output folder" prompt. There is no confirmation prompt for the "auto rename" button but I can easily add one in the next update !

The database is stored inside "c:/users/USERNAME/AppData/AssetsManager/" and you can't change it for now but if you feel the need for such feature I can add that to the roadmap.

[/QUOTE]
    Sounds like a good idea! Adding it to the roadmap as well, thanks!

BTW, I just pushed an update to the store today that speed up the reading/extracting process by 30x. This should be published in a few days ;)

12. AndreasO

AndreasO

Thanks for you answer putting the things I mentioned on the road map. Will buy it :)
    About the "modifying content" question I had: Adding a prompt for the user before changing data is always good to have to avoid surprises. What I'd like to see is a "read-only mode" that can be enabled in the settings. If I were to do any action that requires modifying my content the tool could show a popup that the read-only mode is still enabled. That would be really great. :)

13. anthonyk2

anthonyk2

You're totally right, I should have added it already ;)

Actually this tool has no modification feature except those 2 "rename" and "move" buttons, so I'm not sure a "read only" mode would be efficient for now. Having this will implies to people that the tool will maybe remove or modify their packages in some way, so it might me misleading. But I keep that in mind for later depending on the features that will be added in next releases ;)

Thanks for your feedback !

14. KeithBrown

KeithBrown

Is there any chance you can fix the sort functionality on the release date? The dates are displayed as day/month/year. So when you sorts by the day then month and then year which is totally useless. It should be reversed so that it sorts by the year then month then day. That way i know the assets that i bought recently vs those i bought along time ago. Having all of the assets that I bought on the first of the month does absolutely nothing for me.

I love the program by the way and if not already said an export to excel would be great or even just a comma separated list instead of the current txt export.

15. exoainteractive

exoainteractive

Thank you KeithBrown for the bug report, I will add that in my TODO list for the next update ( not the 1.1.196 currently waiting for approval, but the next one) and the excel export as well for the next releases.
    regards,
    Anthony

KeithBrown likes this.
  16. KeithBrown

KeithBrown

Thank you!

17. anthonyk2

anthonyk2

I just fixed the "release" and "size" column sorting. If you want to get the update right away please send me an email with your order number at contact [at] exoa.fr
    Thank you !

18. hanneshogni

hanneshogni

This is a fantastic tool! :) The only thing bugging me right now is that for some of the assets the version number does not change, even after I have updated those assets. To confirm this, if I right-click on them in the list and pick "Download update" it takes me to the Asset Store, where only the "Import" option is given.

I have tried removing the asset folder, adding it again and re-checking it, but the wrong version persists. It is an incredibly useful feature to see which assets are outdated, so I hope I can fix this somehow. Any ideas?

19. exoainteractive

exoainteractive

Hi ! Thank you for your feedback ;)
    So your asset is up to date, but the version number displayed in the tool is wrong ? Is the cell green or orange ? Can you please tell me the version number displayed in that cell, and the asset store package link ?
    There is a one day cache regarding asset store informations in my server, and there is a cache on your computer too, so there is a chance that your package is up to date, but the tool tells you it's not because the package infos are still in cache. I will check that. Thank you !

20. exoainteractive

exoainteractive

21. hanneshogni

hanneshogni

Yes, the asset is up to date, but wrong version number displayed. The "update" cell is orange. This is happening to a few different assets, but I can use "Amplify Color" as an example. In the "version" column it says "1.6.6" but in the "update" column it says "1.8.0" (in orange). In the asset store, that asset only gives me an "import" option, and not an "update" option. It makes sense that this would be a cache problem. Is there a way for us to clear the local cache?

Thanks a ton for replying so quickly! The Trello board is also a great idea! I can provide further details there if you like.

22. AndreasO

AndreasO

All assets are downloaded to these folders:

On Windows:
    %APPDATA%\..\Roaming\Unity\Asset Store-5.x\

On macOS:
    ~/Library/Unity/Asset-Store-5.x/

You can simply delete stuff in there and the Unity Editor will show you the "Download" button again.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  23. hanneshogni

hanneshogni

Thank you, but unfortunately this does not solve the issue. The version I have in that folder is the correct up-to-date one, so the Asset Store is doing the right thing when it does not show a "Download" button ;-) I got inspired by your suggestion though and deleted the asset and downloaded it again from the store, then hit the "Recheck all Folders" in the Assets Manager, but unfortunately it still comes up orange. This is most likely connected to cached information in the manager itself, rather than how Unity is doing things.

24. anthonyk2

anthonyk2

Yes I was talking about the manager cache. It's here :
    C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\AssetsManager\Local Store\listCachedbFilesVec.dat and listCachedbFilesVec1.dat

What's weird is that the issue is not about the actual latest version code which is indeed 1.8.0, but the fact that your package is supposed to be up to date but still display 1.6.6.
    When you click "recheck all" the manager is clearing the cache and rechecking every package metadata so the cache might not be an issue here.
    Can you open that particular amplify package with any text editor and send me the metadata infos at the top ? it's something like :
    "{"link":{"id":"XXXXX","type":"content"},"unity_version":"XXXXX","pubdate":"XXXX","version":"XXXX"....

Just to make sure your package is indeed up to date ;)

Also it appears that the 1.8.0 is requiring at least unity 5.6 so if your current unity version is older than that you will only get the previous version as the latest for your unity version. So which unity do you have ?

Finally, check if you don't have the package shown multiple times in the manager with different versions each.

I just tried on my side with the Standard Assets package, my version was 1.1.1, and the latest was 1.1.5. I downloaded the update and clicked "recheck all", the correct version number appeared and the color turned green. So I don't see any issue yet with the manager.

Thanks for you help figuring this out !

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
  25. hanneshogni

hanneshogni

With your help I have confirmed that this is not the Assets Manager! In fact, the Assets Manager was right all along and has revealed a problem with my Unity installation ;-)

When I check the metadata for the asset (thanks for the great file hint, I swore I had seen 1.8.0 features in the asset itself), it is clearly 1.6.6, even after I download it from inside version 2018.2.18f1 of Unity.

I noticed that all my assets are kept in a folder called "Asset Store-5.x" inside the "C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Roaming\Unity\" folder. Thinking that this might be something left over from an older version of Unity, I simply deleted "C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Roaming\Unity\" completely! After doing that, I launched Unity 2018.2.18f1 and tried downloading "Amplify Color" yet again, but guess what, a fresh "C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Roaming\Unity\Asset Store-5.x\" folder got created and version 1.6.6 of the asset placed inside it!

So, now I am at a loss here, thinking that somewhere (maybe in the registry) there is an old variable hanging around indicating I have an older version of Unity. I'm not sure where the Asset Store checks for this, but that would be a question for Unity, and not you ;-)

So, thank you for a great asset that lets me see what actually is going on! :) (why the Unity Asset Store doesn't warn you that you are getting an older version, is beyond me).

26. anthonyk2

anthonyk2

Thanks for clarifying this. Just so you know, it's normal to have a "Asset Store-5.x" folder, it's the actual download folder name since unity5 and for latest versions as well. I know this is misleading.
    What's weird is that you're still getting the 1.6.6 even with unity2018. you should contact unity about that, I don't have any clue...

hanneshogni likes this.
  27. marcin-majkowski

marcin-majkowski

Hello!! I have a question: can i make this app to work like portable app - from USB?? I want to make a assets backup on external drive. Greatings!

28. anthonyk2

anthonyk2

Hi ! Sorry I'm not sure to understand your question.
    If you mean "can I use this software with packages on external drives that are not always connected to keep the database of files and search features" the answer is YES, as long as you do not click on "recheck all" when your drive is not connected.
    - If you mean "can I put the software on a USB key to use it on several computers with the same database" the answer is NO, as all data are stored inside the current user directories. You can put the app on a usb key so it's portable but the database will not follow.

Hope that helps !

29. hanneshogni

hanneshogni

Hi, just a quick feature request: Provide a scale slider for the "Grid" view, which would shrink/enlarge the size of each grid cell to fit more assets on the screen at once. I have a large 4K monitor and I feel like so much of the space in "Grid" view is wasted. I really want to get a good visual overview of the assets I have (currently well over 200), and the "Grid" view is perfect for that, but scrolling a lot sort of loses quality of a good visual map. Actually, most of the space is wasted on the asset title, so perhaps providing different ways (e.g. controlled by a parameter in "Settings") to display the title in "Grid" view would help a lot, such as making the font smaller, making it partially (or fully) overlap the icon, or even have the option to not display the title at all (just showing it when mousing over the asset icon). This tools keeps impressing me, and I am only suggesting this feature because I intend to keep using it and recommending it :)

30. anthonyk2

anthonyk2

Thanks for the great feedback ! I'm adding that to the trello board list! Can you post a screen of the app in 4k to see how it looks ? Thanks !

31. hanneshogni

hanneshogni

Ok, no problem:

assetsmanager_gridview_4k.png

What the screenshot does not quite capture is how big everything is on the display itself, i.e. I could easily work with icons and text half this size.

P.S. You may notice from this screenshot that there are two copies of several assets. This happened after I tried "Move and sort" and then updated these particular assets. The updated versions went back to the old folders, so they are now in two places. I can't find a way to fix this easily, i.e. to undo the "Move and sort" operation. Any hints appreciated ;-)

32. anthonyk

anthonyk

Hi @hanneshogni sorry I missed your issue !
    Basically the move and sort feature is intended to move your assets to a different folder for easy access and storage. You should not move and sort assets to the Unity Download Folder itself, as it has its own structure.

What I suggest is to cut & paste all folders created by Assets Manager to another place on your drive. Then open unity and redownload only needed packages when you need them.

Yes you will end up with duplicates, but you can regularly Move And Sort from the download folder to your other folder, this way you will keep your own folder up to date and clean up the Download folder of Unity. When you need a package open it from your own folder, check if it's having updates or just redownload it from Unity.

I'm sorry I can't make a undo feature for it, it would be hard to manage.

hanneshogni likes this.
  33. eagleeyez

eagleeyez

Hi, I am not getting any thumbnails when i search for something in the asset managertab.
    i type in switch fbx and I get the results just in text, I am in the grid view. Why do I not see any preview of the asset?

And any updates coming soon?
    Thank you

34. anthonyk

anthonyk

Hi! Can you please send me pictures of your package and asset tabs by pm with the different views to have a better understanding ? Thanks!

Just so you know. Thumbnails are retrieved from the asset store. If your package is not coming from there it might not work. Or sometimes there are no thumbnail for fbx files even on the asset store...

35. photonic

photonic

Hi,

I have been waiting for something like the asset manger for many years now ... but I have one major issue: if I want to extract a prefab I don't get the dependencies (like materials, textures, meshes,...) exported, too.

Did I miss something or is there another way of extracting dependent assets?
    Otherwise this tool is just a viewer, not a manager and that would be sad ..

Thanks for any help (@anthonyk )
    Cheers

36. anthonyk

anthonyk

Hi photonic,
    There is no way to find the dependencies between files. I wish I could to it. Only the Unity Editor can calculate that when you export files from your project.
    The tool is still a manager as there are features to sort, filter, search, rename, move, and extract assets.
    regards.

37. photonic

photonic

Thank you for your fast reply!
    Oh, so Unity itself is the culprit .. that's unfortunate .. would have been awesome to extract the useful prefabs from my countless assets in order to organize the stuff of years ;-)

Still, you are right .. at least having the possibility of looking at the package content helps (as long as those previews exist on the AssetStore).

best regards

38. AndreasO

AndreasO

It would be useful to be able to group packages with different versions. this would clean up the listing by a lot for me as i keep old versions of everything.

I'd like to filter by outdated grouped packages. the problem i currently have is that a package is always both in my case, up to date for one version and outdated for every other old version i keep. this is also a problem when using the asset manager function because now I have to wade through lots of duplicate entries. this can be useful but it would be better if this could be toggled on/off.

39. Flurgle

Flurgle

When you search something in packages, does it search in the Description of the asset too? For me, that's the most important thing, as it has the most information in it, and keywords to find stuff.

Also, wanted to report, using Multi monitors, appears the Display Asset Store Infos opens off screen. You have to do alt+spacebar and move to get the window.

40. anthonyk

anthonyk

Hi @AndreasO, sorry for the delay to respond. This is actually a good idea. I've added that to the next features to implement on Trello. Thank you !

Sorry this is currently not possible. caching package descriptions would makee the cache so much bigger and decrease the speed and stability while searching. I had to make choices and keep only short data.

Can you give more details about your setup ? Number of screens, resolutions, and a screenshot ? I have 2 screens and never noticed any trouble with the popup positions, and nobody ever reported such issue. Actually the runtime is automatically managing popup positions on screen, and adds an offset for every new popup, so I don't have to deal with that by myself.

41. anthonyk

anthonyk

I posted a new version that should be available soon . Here is the changelog :

1.4.209 :
    - You can now extract « using RAM » a unitypackage that is stated as « corrupted » in Unity and where the default extractor fails to process. This extractor takes more time but can help to retrieve files. (Accessible from the windows right click menu ).
    - New slider in grid views let you resize items to better suit your needs and screen sizes
    - A new option to force refresh a package and clear its cache is available by right clicking any file inside the software. This is useful to fix any missing thumbnail from outdated data.
    - A « Clear all cache » button in the Settings popup will help you clear all the asset store cached data if needed.
    - Bug fix displaying outdated thumbnails from cached data. The server side cache will update every month, or every day if the « Force Refresh » option is clicked.
    - Bug fix in the new version button showing « null » instead of the version number
    - Bug fix when bulk opening asset store pages of many packages

42. critterman

critterman

No matter what I try, I can't seem to get this app to communicate with the online store.

43. AnthonyKozak

AnthonyKozak

Hi critterman,
    Sorry about that, Unity just changed the asset store architecture a few days ago. I fixed the server scripts so now it should be good.
    Can you please manually remove your cache files at these places and try again ?
    C:\Users\<YOUR USER NAME>\AppData\Roaming\[Worker].null\Local Store\cache
    C:\Users\<YOUR USER NAME>\AppData\Roaming\AssetsManager\Local Store\

Thanks,
    Anthony

44. critterman

critterman

Thanks Anthony, that did the trick. Really appreciate the fast response as well. Here's wishing you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

45. eagleeyez

eagleeyez

1 Year and no updates. Is this long wanted asset already dead. And I bought this right at the start.
    This has so much potential. So here is my updated review on the store.

Ok, found the forum now.

- Asset Store -
    EDIT 7 April 2020 Very SAD, 1 year now and no updates. This could be so promising if when I extract and import a prefab or fbx that it also brings in the materials for that object. So please make a forum and start updating this or tell me an alternative to asset manager. I will up the star again if something happens here

46. AppBite

AppBite

Really could do with this asset, I can't imagine how many rocks or space textures I own in different Asset Store packages.

Does it work with recently updated assets? I'm guessing it would work until the .unitypackage format changed?

47. exoainteractive

exoainteractive

Hello!
    Sorry for the long time without any update, it's been a tough year!
    I just release a new update to support the latest Asset Store website update and the new unitypackage format.

Unfortunatly, only the unity editor itself can find the associations between files. the packages do not contain any data about these links.

Yes it does work with the latest packages ;)

48. AppBite

AppBite

OK bought the asset and there are some problems with the Asset Manager tab search.
    If I point it at my own .unitypackages directory first time it found nothing. I was trying the "Add Unity Download folder" it finds those & then my packages came up as "Not from the asset store". Eventually I found the config for allow non-store assets, I hit that checkbox and it seems the program has died, the list now says 'Queued' and basically the search doesn't work any more. I've tried clearing the cache, hitting Parse again & it just finds the Asset Store assets and none of the in-house packages. Looks like the only way it works is to reboot and only use Asset Store directory.

The search itself: What is the RegEx based on? basic stuff like ^rock*.mat does not work. I've tried many, many different options and can't make it just show the files I'm typing in the regex for. (to be honest, seeing this a PC app I think rock*.png should work there)

The search tab definitely needs filters for Prefab / Texture / Material under that 'Any' pulldown as the results are a jumble of different types of assets. I really want to be able to do simple things like search for 'Rock' and then decide if I want to look at Rock FBX models, or maybe I'm building a rock wall and want to look at Rock Textures only. A 'Not' box would be really handy for things like 'not normal maps', when you're looking for a nice texture you don't really need to see a bunch of blue squares.

Thanks.

49. AppBite

AppBite

Assets Manager Pro is also unable to handle Store assets like this one, which are .unitypackages inside a .unitypackage.
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/environments/dungeons/multistory-dungeons-33955#content
    Even if I extract one of the files to another directory it declares it as "Not From The Store" and wont read any of the assets inside it.

Selecting a package, right clicking Explore Package content doesn't appear to do anything. It says Loading on the top line near the Cancel button, and Extracting below it, but nothing seems to happen, even after leaving it 10 minutes.

50. Utanipishtim

Utanipishtim

Anthony, et. al, I see Assets Manager Pro is now deprecated on the Asset Store.
    Unless you are re-releasing this asset, please consider making the source code publicly available so that I (or others) could continue your work.
    I have used this asset for several years; I was grateful to have found it, and since there is nothing else like it to my knowledge, I am heartbroken that it is gone.

AppBite likes this.