Search Unity

Feature Request Assets loading system using Unity Addressables

Discussion in 'Open Projects' started by GhAyoub, Oct 8, 2020.

1. GhAyoub

GhAyoub

Hey,

I would like to request adding an Assets Loading System, that will take responsibility to load any requested assets.

I have an in-depth knowledge of how to set up such a system. Maybe it's too early for this, but just to start the discussion of what needs to be available in the future.

Cheers!

ArtofRemo and Neonage like this.
  2. Megatank58

Megatank58

Can you explain what is this exactly?

3. GhAyoub

GhAyoub

Hey @Megatank58, sure!

Addressables is a system provided by Unity that simplifies the way to deal with a huge range of assets loading.
    • You can group assets that will loaded by Label and load them from anywhere.
    • It also provides local and remote deployment.
    • It can manage complex dependencies.
    • You can swap an asset with another by a simple drag and drop rather than touching the code.
    • Super fast once it loads an asset for the first time, it can be loaded in future in no time.
    To learn more about it you can check this useful video:

Cheers!

Neonage likes this.
  4. Neonage

Neonage

5. GhAyoub

GhAyoub

That's actually a good piece of code :D.
    One thing I would like to say: try to make it as Generic as possible to handle other AssetReferences (Textures, Sprites, etc.)
    I will try to publish my version this weekend but this is already a good start for this thread :)

Neonage likes this.
  6. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

Hey @GhAyoub, it was definitely part of the plan to introduce Addressable assets, even though this project doesn't have dynamically changing assets, but it can still benefit from it in terms of loading times and build times.

The only thing that pushes me back is that introducing Addressables on a project of this scale means everyone now HAS to know how to use them to work on the project.

GhAyoub likes this.
  7. GhAyoub

GhAyoub

Hey @cirocontinisio, I totally agree with you and that's what made me think, before making a pull request, that I'm actually forcing a system that we will not benefit from it too much for the time being.

I will wait for the time that we can discuss it together and make a system that fits what we need.

Cheers.