Search Unity

Assets for Swords and Shovels Tutorials

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by MachoFox, Nov 9, 2017.

1. MachoFox

MachoFox

Does anyone know where I can get the assets that are used in the tutorial videos for the Swords and Shovels game tutorial done through PluralSight? In the videos the guy imports a package called Unity_Fundamentals_m3_begin and I can't find this package anywhere. I think I need it to continue these tutorials.

EsbenKH likes this.
  2. mbronka

mbronka

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  3. mbronka

mbronka

4. FacesDev

FacesDev

TKerslake likes this.
  5. duboueconrado

duboueconrado

you are my savior

6. Dudechester

Dudechester

How do you manually navigate to that page? I can't see anything on the plural site store which links it?
    Also I've imported the M3_Begin asset from this package, but can't find the terrain textures?

7. Dudechester

Dudechester

It seems the course is expressing to opening M3_Begin in the tutorial video, but the textures required for that part are actually in the next package M4... Not a good start if we are just being left to "Work out" where missing files are, due to incorrectly instructions to import other files! Hope they sort this out for future users.

8. RRShatzel

RRShatzel

I was so confused looking at this dude importing a dwarf and finding files that I knew I did not have. Thanks for clearing this up!

lolerJ and BigGrizzleyGuy like this.
  9. faallenoon

faallenoon

Five or ten words on the lesson indicating where to get the file would have saved me an enormous headache ¬_¬

BigGrizzleyGuy and stina95 like this.
  10. Rainfox700

Rainfox700

thank you all i was thinking i wasted my money cause it would take me a long time to make all that

11. fpszed

fpszed

Thank God I wasn't the only one completely lost with this. I emailed support even. Was about to ask for a refund, no point in doing tutorials that I can't even follow along with.

lolerJ and BigGrizzleyGuy like this.
  12. Rutabaega

Rutabaega

Same complaint. The instructor pulls this file out of nowhere and leaves the learner lost. how did he even get the dwarf in the scene prior to importing package?

Confirmed: The link above works.

Next issue: cant find m3-08_begin scene. It does not appear to be a part of the package for module 3.
    Discovered resolution to missing m3-08_begin:
    The file: PROJECT FILES INSTRUCTIONS.txt
    says this:
    During the last two clips titled "Set Dressing" and, "Building a Level" you will open the scene in Unity titled "module_03_07_begin".
    If you do not see it in your Scenes folder in Unity be sure to import the Unity Package titled M03 - begin.
    note that the scene doesn't match up with the module number in the course, but it is what the author opens in the video.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
  13. Belcherman

Belcherman

I am in M2 - Pipeline, so where does the dwarf come from?

14. rhdlamb

rhdlamb

thank god..

The problem for me was I went to Pluralsight, clicked on "Paths", clicked on "Unity Game Dev Courses: Fundamentals", and then clicked the first Beginner VIDEO which takes you directly into the vid, skipping the splash page that has the actual "Table-of-Contents" and "Exercise files" tabs! GAK!

https://app.pluralsight.com/library/courses/unity-fundamentals

btw the project packages haven't been updated for 2018.1.1f1 so you'll get ObjectDestroy and UI warnings.

15. Vanpotheos

Vanpotheos

So this is still an issue? How can Unity feel ok with this? Substandard.

16. jamfu123

jamfu123

Hopefully they amend the issue for people still trying to access the course

17. Belcherman

Belcherman

All the assets are there now; I have since completed 4 more courses:)

18. _6__

_6__

I took me a while to work out where to get the assets. But when you go the Paths page, instead of clicking on the videos, click on the links underneath them to view everything related to that learning path.

upload_2018-9-9_12-19-43.png

VenomousVice likes this.
  19. lachzbyszek90

lachzbyszek90

Thank you guys for help. It's not so easy to find this packages and it' s not clearly explained in videos.

lolerJ likes this.
  20. Deleted User

Deleted User

I still cannot locate the Game Design Doc_v1_1 that he pulls out in the video titled "Prototyping in Unity: Reviewing the Game Design Document." Where in the exercise folders do I find that 11-page pdf file?

Frustrating that they don't show where it is as it is pulled from somewhere off-screen.

mariops1999 likes this.
  21. Belcherman

Belcherman

There is a new version of Unity Fundamentals for version 2018; it should be in your subscription.

22. chenhenmu

chenhenmu

It was such an angry and silent course that I didn't even want to continue with it.

23. PaulONeill

PaulONeill

I think I had more problems then most doing this so I'm going to break it down step by step.

On the Pluralsight web sight at https://app.pluralsight.com/library/

after you have created a account and signed up and paid for the Unity Game Dev Courses:

IMPORTANT NOTE You need to do this for every one of the course modules. Each part of the course has it's own set of files you have to download and import into unity to use.

Click in the following order

1. Paths NOT Home (If the Unity game dev course isn't in there search for it)
    2. Click on the course
    3. Ignore the picture with the video link to the course and look under it to the words Expand Details
    4. Click "See Details" in the orange box
    5. Click "Exercise Files"
    6. Click "Download exercise files"
    7. Save the files and Extract them to a location on your PC you will find them easily at
    8. Now you should be able to go back into unity and extract the files you need

24. clarHandsome

clarHandsome

I'm watching this course "Swords and Shovels: Game Managers, Loaders, and the Game Loop by Jon McElroy". Where can I find the "swords and shovels programming starter package" required for this particular course? It's not included in the exercise files.

SinEstelle likes this.
  25. rafbanaan

rafbanaan

Same question as above.

26. pakos21

pakos21

Where is the project file?

27. thanasisdovas

thanasisdovas

Can anyone help me where to find and import dwarf ? I have download the unity fundamentals folder from the link above, but i am so confused where to find this file. This course is so confusing.... please help me

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
  28. respectyoda

respectyoda

Has anyone completed the Swords and Shovels project from beginning to end?

29. I mostly just watched, there are some interesting things in there. But since I do not use DCC software they were using, those weren't for me. But the structure of the stuff is good enough I think. But it was two years ago or something? When they started to give out Pluralsight access for Plus subscribers. Why?