Search Unity

1. Unity 2020.1 has been released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are looking for feedback on the experimental Unity Safe Mode which is aiming to help you resolve compilation errors faster during project startup.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

AssetDatabase v2 Refresh Significantly Slower Than v1

Discussion in '2019.3 Beta' started by austin-beck, Jan 2, 2020.

1. austin-beck

austin-beck

I'm doing some preliminary 2019.3 tests on a very large project in terms of number of individual assets. One of the features we were most excited about was v2 of the AssetDatabase, which was supposed to significantly increase Editor performance for large projects.

After creating two side-by-side versions of our project, one on 2019.2.2 and one on the latest 2019.3 beta release, not only did we not see any gains, but we actually took a ~40% hit in asset database refresh time (2-second average on 2019.2 and 2.8-second average on 2019.3). Please note that these tests were done on a machine with a significantly better SSD than most developers at our company possess, so in actuality these numbers will be several times higher for our average dev. This is a huge concern for us because refreshes are already extremely slow on our project and eat up a lot of productivity.

I'm hoping that someone can help me figure out what's going on here and whether or not this is something we can get fixed in a later release. I didn't see anything in the Known Issues list that seemed related to refreshes, which worries me a little bit more than I would be otherwise.

If specifics about our project, such as number of assets and directories (we have a lot of directories) would be helpful, please let me know and I can provide those numbers.

Any info/insight would be greatly appreciated!

2. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

3. Anotheryeti

Anotheryeti

I'd like to say I'm also running into this, but much, much worse. Asset import times that were ~10ms in 2019.2 are now at 500ms, and every single individual model takes at least 13s. Doesn't seem to be related to asset type at all, and this is on a 2018 MacBook pro w/ solid state drive.

Whole project took 30 hours to re-import. :S

4. sgower

sgower

My project has been re-importing now for around 24 hours. It looks like it's importing all the .fbx files. But what I'm seeing is that every one is taking around 20 seconds. I guess I was hoping it was simply only updating the progress bar title occasionally, and was actually making more progress that what the progress bar seems to be indicating. If this is really only importing 1 item every 20 seconds, then I imagine it will take many days to complete the process. I guess I'll let it run, but I'm hoping this is a one-time process.

5. Kenthria11

Kenthria11

6. nights007

nights007

Seeing this issue on 2020.2a15.1993 too a lot, change one character in a script and wait 20 sometimes 30 seconds for an asset database refresh. Almost unusable.

7. Kenthria11

Kenthria11

It is currently taking me upwards of 40 minutes to reimport or refresh anything, even just one script. I am struggling through as my game is nearly ready for release, but this is insane.

PhoenixAdvanced likes this.
  8. RoyM_Daemon

RoyM_Daemon

We just Updated to version 2019.4 and the AssetDatabase.refresh is taking huge chunks of time to finish when I simply add a new line to a script and click back in the editor. Took 32 seconds to finish loading the editor. They said they fixed it in 2019.3 https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/issues/focusing-the-editor-window-causes-noticeable-slowdowns But immediately in the next minor version people were reporting it again. And even in the 2020 version people are still experiencing the issue.

9. mdroxas

mdroxas

Restarting Unity solves this problem for me. However, after some time, the lag returns and have to restart again.

unityunity