Search Unity

AssetBundles: Linux - Hololens compatibility issue

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Westerby, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Westerby

Westerby

Hello Everyone,

I've been using Unity Linux edition to create Asset Bundles on a server side with standard:

Code (CSharp):
    1. BuildPipeline.BuildAssetBundles ("Assets/AssetBundles", BuildAssetBundleOptions.None, BuildTarget.StandaloneLinux);
    When I download bundles in Unity Editor on Windows 10, everything works correctly and bundles are loaded, even if BuildTarget.StandaloneLinux suggest that Unity on Windows should complain. However I have enormous problems to get it working on Hololens app.

I realized that probably there should be a compatibility between asset bundle and an app build for Hololens - by that I mean that both should be WSA Player builds. The problem is that I tried several different releases for Linux, and with almost every one of them I was unable to successfully create bundles where BuildTarget is WSAPlayer:

Code (CSharp):
    1. BuildPipeline.BuildAssetBundles ("Assets/AssetBundles",BuildAssetBundleOptions.None,BuildTarget.WSAPlayer);
    The errors were:
    • Unity 5.5.1.xf: Assertion failed on expression: 'IsBuildTargetSupported'
    • Unity 5.6.2.f1: Assertion failed on expression: 'IsBuildTargetSupported'
    • Unity 2017.1.0f3: Building an AssetBundle for target "MetroSupport" is not allowed because the required module is not installed.
    • Unity 2017.2.0xb: Building an AssetBundle for target "MetroSupport"is not allowed because the required module is not installed.
    • Unity 5.6.1xf - also tested, ufortunately didn't save log.
    The only version which managed to actually create asset bundle file was Unity 5.4.3. Hovewer I couldn't download the asset neither in Unity editor on Windows nor on Hololens. The error was:
    The asset bundle could not be loaded because it contains runtime classes of incompatibile versions.

I would appreciate any help.
    I can share full logs or full code if necessary.

2. Tak

Tak

Sorry, Unity can't build asset bundles for targets that aren't supported (for deployment) on that platform.
    (This also applies to Mac, for example.)

3. Westerby

Westerby

Thanks for the answer.
    Is there a plan to change it in a future releases? Or is there any other approach other than asset bundles to download assets in the runtime?

4. madhur

madhur

Any updates on this?

samuelmorais likes this.