Search Unity

AssetBundles at Runtime?

Discussion in 'Asset Bundles' started by BlackAlchemist, Mar 19, 2021.

1. BlackAlchemist

BlackAlchemist

I'm looking to have a provider (some starting user) give my project a collection of assets in the form of an AssetBundle, which would be organized using a ScriptableObject (which acts more or less as instructions). From there I wanted to put it up on a server so that the end user could then bring that package down and reconstruct the provider's product.

It more or less should follow this format:
    Provider > uploads assets > put into AssetBundle format with ScriptableObject based instructions > uploads to server > End-User Requests Profile/Asset > Server sends that bundle to the user > Object gets reconstructed.

I already have the reconstruction side of this mapped out. All I really need is a way to construct an AssetBundle (or like structure) out of those provided assets without needing them to go into a Unity Editor for it.

Does anyone have any ideas on how this can be done?

2. ep1s0de

ep1s0de

You can create bundles only in the editor, the developers are unlikely to reveal the algorithm for building bundles...

You can look at the bundle unpackers (there are quite a few of them), analyze their work, and make your own bundle creator

3. BlackAlchemist

BlackAlchemist

If the Asset Bundle system wouldn't be the most ideal for this situation. Are there any other suggestions? There has to be a way that people move assets around in a consistent and compact manner to and from servers. Having a ton of individual files (of Models, Materials, etc) upon the server seems like the easiest way to cause bloat and clog up the server.

4. ep1s0de

ep1s0de

You can make your own "file system" of the game as it was done in the Kerbal Space Program