Search Unity

AssetBundleManager TOGETHER with AssetBundleBrowser

Discussion in 'Asset Bundles' started by SamuelAsherRivello, Mar 27, 2018.

1. SamuelAsherRivello

SamuelAsherRivello

I am creating a custom AssetBundleSystem which relies heavily on these 2 Unity projects. The source for each sits in an external repo and is not part of Unity's included DLL.

1. AssetBundleManager (Updated June 2017)
    https://bitbucket.org/Unity-Technologies/assetbundledemo

2. AssetBundleBrowser (Updated March 2018)
    https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/AssetBundles-Browser

Both were promoted for us to use, including examples of using them together in this talk
    (Updated October 2017)

Since June 2017, I've been using both #1 and #2. However, #1 has not been updated in a LONG time.

Questions...

1. What is the status of AssetBundleManager?
    2. Can we expect more repo commits on AssetBundleManager? When?
    3. Do you recommend #1 and #2 be actively used or is there another project that will be in public release in 2018 that will provide better/different solutions? (ex. ResourceManager, ex. Addressables)?

2. Reichert

Reichert

Unity Technologies

We are not investing any more effort into the Asset Bundle Manager, but you are of course free to use it and modify as you see fit.

Addressables - along with Resource Manager and Scriptable Build Pipeline - are all slated for release in 2018.2. If you are mid-development cycle and are releasing a game this year, it's likely you'll want to continue with what you already have and ship with that. However if you're definitely planning to upgrade to 2018.2 within the project cycle, I would encourage you to migrate to the Addressables system at that time as well. It will save you a lot of time and effort down the road.

-Stephen

nilsdr likes this.
  3. SamuelAsherRivello

SamuelAsherRivello

That is very helpful timing. Much appreciated.