Search Unity

AssetBundle Manager deprecated?

Discussion in 'Asset Bundles' started by sgower, Apr 24, 2018.

1. sgower

sgower

I posted another message about this in the 2018 beta forum, but can't figure out how to delete. Anyway,when I visit this page:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/AssetBundles-Manager.html

It provides a download link to a deprecated asset. Does anyone know if this has truly gone away? Is there an alternative package to use? Is there some new method for managing Asset Bundles?

I've never quite understood why this wasn't just part of Unity to begin with. Thanks.

What I liked about this AssetBundle-Manager package is that it allowed me to use the Asset Bundles only in the built game. When in the Editor, it would load from the bundle folders, and not the actual bundles. This way, it let's me add and remove from the bundles without needing to re-build the bundles all the time.

The old package is still working for me, but I wonder why Unity would deprecate what seems to be a pretty nice package.

2. Desiiigner

Desiiigner

I`ve got the same Problem. How to create AssetBundles now?

3. FMark92

FMark92

Editor script.

4. Reichert

Reichert

Unity Technologies

Yes, this package is deprecated. The code is still available as reference on BitBucket, if you wish to use it as a template for your own system. https://bitbucket.org/Unity-Technologies/assetbundledemo

2018.2 will introduce the Addressables system, which supersedes the Asset Bundle Demo project. It has a similar "virtual" mode for loading bundled assets in the Editor, but in a much more elegant and robust way.

5. pavelkouril

pavelkouril

Is there an overview of the "addressables" system that I've been hearing about in beta forums? Is it connected to the "addressableNames" of current AB system, or is it something completly different?

6. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

7. Reichert

Reichert

Unity Technologies

That video is a good start, and we'll have more up-to-date info very soon.

8. King-Klong

King-Klong

I'm working on moving a game to use asset bundles (all assets currently load from Resources). It seems we will be stuck on 5.6 for a while, so no new fancy features for me. I've installed the Asset Bundle Browser and have started to move things into bundles, but it got me thinking that we need a good way to run the game without having to rebuild the bundles every time we make a change.

Should it be fine to use Asset Bundle Manager to just be able to use Simulation mode? I really don't want to take time to write my own thing.

aer0ace and ina like this.
  9. xavi_GSN

xavi_GSN

Man ! This kind of info would be SO useful to have on the Manual / on the repo... The Unity Asset Bundles Manual documentation constantly links you to the Asset Bundle Manager missing package at the Asset Store... No explanations. Then they proceed to explain how to use that. Once you happen to find the asset bundle manager code in the sample demo repo, you have no explanation as to whether the manager will be deprecated in the future, should be used as a template or where its future lies.

Blenderik and TooManySugar like this.
  10. Reichert

Reichert

Unity Technologies

You're right, we need to at least clarify the intent to deprecate the Asset Bundle Manager. I'll see that it's done.

11. DevinW

DevinW

Yep ran into this rabbit hole this morning too. Also, my test project from a few weeks ago has the Resource Manager installed from the Package Manager but in my latest project 2018.1 it doesn't even appear on the list. :(

Feeling a bit like asset management purgatory right now.

aer0ace and TooManySugar like this.
  12. Reichert

Reichert

Unity Technologies

I understand your frustration. I'm confident Addressables and Resource Manager are going to be a solid foundation to build on going forward, so we're excited to get that into your hands in 2018.2. It will also be nice to be able to deliver fixes and enhancements on a regular basis via Package Manager.

13. ScottPeal

ScottPeal

I tried the addressables 0.0.24-preview and new Resource Manager 2.0.17-preview running on 2018.2.0b4. But the build button was greyed out. I agree with DevinW, the asset bundling with caching is core code for our project which all other items are built upon. Until we get the new solution we are stuck. Any chance a preview version will come out before Berlin? Pretty please with sugar on top :)

Also, loved the video. For the next video could you consider incorporating the caching aspects? See you in Berlin.

14. ScottPeal

ScottPeal

LOL, so I just completed our implementation of UnityWebRequest with distributed Caching on 2018.2b and may have discovered our business case for addressables?

With the current solution, the cache uses the URl/version of the bundle as the primary key. However, if I leverage multiple bundle hosting servers with different URIs, and the same bundle gets pulled from different servers, the bundles would be put into the cache multiple times. Does addressables fix this issue by using the addressable name/version for the cache instead of the URI?

polytropoi likes this.
  15. aer0ace

aer0ace

I am in a similar situation. @Reichert , is this the way to go for those of us who are staying with 5.x?

AnomalusUndrdog and mr-bulldops like this.
  16. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

Deprecating sounds like too agressive way to "solve" this, further considering its swap thing is not even ready. They should simply put a note like this is OLD, or not compatible with the NEW THING, but hey, ppl still Works on older versions, ppl whants STABLE editors rather tan state of the art all work inprogress versions of things. I ended up here looking for a reason why the ACTUAL documentation points to a deprecated package.

phobos2077 and ina like this.
  17. pancur

pancur

Exactly. This deprecation for THIS moment is just wrong. Please revert it until the new system is well known and the community is aware. Right now many projects depends on asset bundles and the manager is crucial.

phobos2077 and aer0ace like this.
  18. mr-bulldops

mr-bulldops

@Reichert Echoing @aer0ace question about a way to use simulation mode outside of 2018.2. We recently had to move to 2017 for our game, and just moved all our assets from Resources to bundles and a lack of simulation mode is a huge overhead and time loss for development. Is there a way to accomplish this in 2017?

19. ina

ina

phobos2077 and rob_ice like this.
  20. Deleted User

Deleted User

21. Tortuap

Tortuap

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
  22. Tortuap

Tortuap

From https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/WWW.LoadFromCacheOrDownload.html :

Cached AssetBundles are uniquely identified solely by the filename and version. All domain and path information in url is ignored by Caching. Since cached AssetBundles are identified by filename instead of the full URL, you can change the directory from where the asset bundle is downloaded at any time. This is useful for pushing out new versions of the game and ensuring that files are not cached incorrectly by the browser or by a CDN.

23. LoxodonStudio

LoxodonStudio

Hi
    I recommend you use my plugin,Loxodon.Framework.Bundle.

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/utilities/loxodon-framework-bundle-87419

24. LoxodonStudio

LoxodonStudio

25. ina

ina

this is way too much fragmentation. surely there is an official unity way for asset bundles?

alfpooh and marc_unity692 like this.