Search Unity

AssetBundle.LoadAsset way too slow

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by AllanMSmith, Sep 16, 2017.

1. AllanMSmith

AllanMSmith

Hi,

I am using Unity 2017.1.1f1, and we are developing a game with Asset Bundles for mobile.

We are using ODR for iOS and download bundles from a CDN. The game first used Resources.Load for a lot of things, and now we load the asset bundle and then load the asset itself to use it. However, we've seen a HUGE increase in performance overhead when loading assets... operations that were almost instant, now can take up to 15 seconds on some Android Devices and slower iOS devices as well. We noticed that the huge majority of time is spent just loading the asset, and not the asset bundle, but we don't know how we could possibly make it faster. The way it is is almost impossible to maintain, it is just too slow.

We expected a drop, but this is beyond our expectations =(. Is there a way to make it faster? We are using asset bundle manager for most of it, is this load that slow to be expected?

Best,
    Allan

2. carlosfarinhas

carlosfarinhas

Have you found a solution?

3. Zullar

Zullar

I am also having issues with asset bundles loading slowly.

My build is 480MB now and when loading the asset bundles it takes 26seconds w/ SSD.

Edit: Building with BuildAssetBundleOptions.UncompressedAssetBundle increases the size from 400MB to 700MB but also makes it load in 2sec instead of 26sec.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
    MintTree117 likes this.