Search Unity

AssetBundle browser?

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by chanon81, Jan 14, 2019.

1. chanon81

chanon81

I would like to suggest to add an AssetBundle browser that is integrated with the Addressables system including the Content Update Workflow.

I know there is an AssetBundles-Browser tool
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/AssetBundles-Browser.html
    but it doesn't seem to know about any bundles created by Addressables.

It would be good to be able to see and browse contents of the actual bundle files for each platform. When there are Content Updates, it should be able to list each new version and show the bundle files for each platform and what was added/changed.

Also, it would be good if it could display the contents of the 'content catalog' and/or the addressables_content_state.bin file.

Maybe all of this is already possible or not really needed. Just some ideas of mine from beginning to use the Addressables for asset bundling.

Right now it is clear what all the inputs are, but it is a bit unclear what outputs are created / where they are located etc.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  2. unity_bill

unity_bill

Thanks for the input. Over time, our intent is to integrate the features of the browser you'd want into the "analyze" section of addressables.
    Well, with the caveat that several features of the browser are somewhat unreliable. With addressables, we're trying to avoid features that we know could provide misleading/false information.

3. JotaRata

JotaRata

Hi.
    I want to ask, Is the Addressables package a replacement of the AB Browser tool?
    - If it is, Make any sense to have both installed, or they are dependent on each other?

Thanks in advance

4. davidla_unity

davidla_unity

Unity Technologies

Hey @JotaRata it doesn't really make sense to have both of them installed. If you're wanting to use classic style AssetBundles you can still use the AssetBundle Browser. Using Addressables is to leave behind the old way of using AssetBundles. Like @unity_bill said, we plan on integrating all the features of the Browser into the Analyze tool of Addressables. So, if you want to think about it in this way, the Analyze tool should be a replacement for the AssetBundle Browser if you're using Addressables.

JotaRata likes this.
  5. JotaRata

JotaRata

Great! In that case I will have to learn everything again lol..

6. Dennin-Dalke

Dennin-Dalke

You've mentioned that it doesn't really make sense to have Addressables package together with AssetBundle Browser, but it's interesting to note that both packages are tied together as a dependency to the Asset Graph package.

I know all those things are in active development and the Asset Graph is still in preview, but it sounds really weird @DavidUnity3d stating that and another team doing the opposite.

upload_2020-2-6_16-24-44.png

7. davidla_unity

davidla_unity

Unity Technologies

@Dennin-Dalke you're right, that is weird. I had no idea that was a thing. I'll have to ask and see what benefit they see to having both.

8. Dennin-Dalke

Dennin-Dalke

@DavidUnity3d please, and let us know your findings, it might be interesting to see how the AssetGraph deals with Addressables

9. Neto_Kokku

Neto_Kokku

The latest AssetGraph can work with both classic asset bundles and Addressables (there are nodes for configuring Addressable groups), so that's why I think it needs both.

If you have a large number of assets, even if you use Addressables it's still time consuming and error prone to go setting things as Addressable one by one. AssetGraph is very useful for us.

10. Patrick_PS

Patrick_PS

Asset Graph plugin documentation says I need Unity 2018.3.14 or later but it is not available in the package manager, I use Unity 2018.4.12. Where can I get this plugin?