Search Unity

Assetbundle backward compatibility for Android and iOS

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by aciang, May 24, 2013.

1. aciang

aciang

Hello,

Just realized that if you use Assetbundles and you upgrade your Unity version.. they will break because of incompatibility.

even if you only upgrade from unity 4.0 to 4.1

is there any workaround for this? as I use lots of assetbundle.

it's not efficient if we have to rebuild all assetbundle just to use newer unity version.

please advise.

ibrendan likes this.
  2. ibrendan

ibrendan

Agreed! This is the most frustrating thing on Earth! I've been trying for months to find a workaround for this, but still to no avail. We can't be the only developers who need this feature. I can't upgrade Unity until there's a fix for this, otherwise I'd have to re-build in excess of 1000 asset bundles. What a mission.

3. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

I think 5.x will add support for reading "old" asset bundles. I suspect this will make the run-time bigger and slow loading, since the versions will need to be checked and the required code executed.

How long does building 1000 asset bundles take?

4. mog-mog-mog

mog-mog-mog

Let's say I've bundles build with Unity 4.0 in my mobile application version 1.
    Then I release app version v2 with Unity 5.0 and upgrade my asset bundles with Unity 5.0.

Clients which are still using application version 1(build with Unity 4.0), can they still use asset bundles compiled with Unity 5.0?

My asset bundles do not contain any scripts, they only contain textures. I may remove/add some more texture with time.