Search Unity

Asset Usage Finder v4.0 - Boost your workflow - Full Nested Prefab Support added

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Gotlight, May 17, 2016.

1. WF_Bart

WF_Bart

Hey; I just bought this asset and it's really useful.
    One bug I encountered.

I searched for 'scene usages' of a script that was on a prefab. The window told me the script was in every scene that had that particular prefab. I then removed the script from the prefab. Now it still shows the same list of scenes that supposedly use the script, even though it's no longer there (I'm guessing this is cached).

2. Gotlight

Gotlight

Hi @WF_Bart. Thanks for your report. Please try to save project (see screenshot below). Please write me back if it worked for you.

Denis

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  3. krzysztof_janik

krzysztof_janik

@Gotlight Hi, in general tool is awesome, but i have one problem with it. It was mentioned in some of the previous posts by someone. When i search for usage of texture i see prefabs where it is used as an image, but i can't see exact path to this specific object where my image is referenced. It is problematic with some more complex prefabs that have many children. Is it possible to add this?

4. Gotlight

Gotlight

Hi, thanks for your question. The exact path has been already implemented. Due to the possibility of extremely long paths, you can see it on mouse hover on prefab in Asset Usage Finder window

upload_2017-12-12_11-28-5.png

5. krzysztof_janik

krzysztof_janik

@Gotlight Cool! Now it's more than awesome :) thank you!

Gotlight likes this.
  6. Infrid

Infrid

can we force the search to reuse just one window? So if I start a new search, I can hit a toggle that will automatically close the old window and keep just one? It's only a small thing; but when I have to go through a ton of unrelated assets, it'd make my life that little bit more streamlined.

Great asset, left you a well deserved 5 star review.

Gotlight likes this.
  7. Gotlight

Gotlight

Hi, thanks for your question and review! We'll take a look at it and maybe we'll create a special version for you with this feature (as so far you are the only one who came with this idea :)). Please send me your email address via PM.

For now, you can close those windows by pressing Esc button. Maybe it would be enough for you, let me know pls :)

D.

8. redmugstudios

redmugstudios

Does the asset supports finding references for a child prefab? I have tried a different asset on the store and when I search for a child prefab to know who are the scripts that referencing this child prefab, it shows 0 results where in fact the parent prefab on the same scene is the one referencing it.

9. Gotlight

Gotlight

Hi Silvershunt, thank you for your question and sorry for the delay.

Child prefabs were introduced in Unity 2018.3, before it, there were only one level prefabs.
    I must admit that you're the first potential user that requires this feature. If there is an interest from more customers, we'll consider including this feature into the product!

By the way, according to our customers and our own experience as well, Asset Usage Finder is one of the simplest yet powerful tools in asset usage finding area available on market.

Thanks for your idea as it helps us to improve our product.
    Feel free to ask me if you have any questions.
    Denis

redmugstudios likes this.
  10. ScherfLab

ScherfLab

This seems to be working well so far. Nice job. Am getting the following error when I click Search Scenes )Version 2017.3.1f1)

InvalidOperationException: Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object
    System.Collections.Stack.Pop () (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Collections/Stack.cs:329)
    UnityEngine.GUILayoutUtility.EndLayoutGroup () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/IMGUI/Managed/GUILayoutUtility.cs:323)
    UnityEngine.GUILayout.EndVertical () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/IMGUI/Managed/GUILayout.cs:342)
    UnityEditor.EditorGUILayout.EndVertical () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/EditorGUI.cs:7863)
    AssetUsageFinder.DependencyWindow.OnGUI () (at Assets/Admin/Asset Usage Finder/Editor/DependencyWindow.cs:78)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:232)
    System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MethodBase.cs:115)
    UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName, System.Object obj) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:295)
    UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:288)
    UnityEditor.HostView.InvokeOnGUI (Rect onGUIPosition) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:255)

11. Gotlight

Gotlight

Hi ScherfLab! Thanks for you question and positive valuation of our product (and sorry for the delay in replying to you :)).

The thing is that unfortunately, we're not able to read the whole situation from this log. Could you provide us with the exact situation, what you've been doing, if it's still the case? That's the first report of this kind so far.

Thanks!
    D.

12. NawarRajab

NawarRajab

Hi, I'm getting this error when searching scriptable ojebts:
    Code (CSharp):
    2. InvalidOperationException: Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object
    3. System.Collections.Stack.Pop () (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Collections/Stack.cs:329)
    4. UnityEngine.GUILayoutUtility.EndLayoutGroup () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/IMGUI/Managed/GUILayoutUtility.cs:323)
    5. UnityEngine.GUILayout.EndVertical () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/IMGUI/Managed/GUILayout.cs:342)
    6. UnityEditor.EditorGUILayout.EndVertical () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/EditorGUI.cs:7863)
    7. AssetUsageFinder.DependencyWindow.OnGUI () (at Assets/Asset Usage Finder/Editor/DependencyWindow.cs:78)
    8. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    9. Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    10. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:232)
    11. System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MethodBase.cs:115)
    12. UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName, System.Object obj) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:295)
    13. UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:288)
    14. UnityEditor.HostView.InvokeOnGUI (Rect onGUIPosition) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:255)

13. Gotlight

Gotlight

Hi Nawar Rajab! Thank you for your report.

**EDIT**
    We've been able to simulate your bug on older version of Unity. We'll fix it with the next version, but can send you the fixed version via email now.

Can you provide us with your email address please?

Thanks!
    D.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  14. NawarRajab

NawarRajab

Hi, I've sent you a PM. Thanks alot!

Gotlight likes this.
  15. Fronne

Fronne

Great Asset!

The only reason why I didn't wrote a 5 star Review, is a missing button or option to clear the cache...

Sometimes I have to clear it manual because after copying Objects, Asset Usage Finder doesn't always find all references because it's relying on the cache (and that could be very dangerous)...

Cheers!
    Franco Palmieri - Fronne

16. LeFx_Tom

LeFx_Tom

Hi there,
    cool tool so far, but i do have some issues:

when using it to search scene wide, it often shows all scenes in the project, although the prefab (for example) is only used in one of those scenes.

Furthermore, it gives me the following error, when doing the scene-search:

Code (CSharp):
    1. InvalidOperationException: Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object
    2. System.Collections.Stack.Pop () (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Collections/Stack.cs:329)
    3. UnityEngine.GUILayoutUtility.EndLayoutGroup () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/IMGUI/Managed/GUILayoutUtility.cs:323)
    4. UnityEngine.GUILayout.EndVertical () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/IMGUI/Managed/GUILayout.cs:342)
    5. UnityEditor.EditorGUILayout.EndVertical () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/EditorGUI.cs:7863)
    6. AssetUsageFinder.DependencyWindow.OnGUI () (at Assets/3rdParty/Asset Usage Finder/Editor/DependencyWindow.cs:78)
    7. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    8. Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    9. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:232)
    10. System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MethodBase.cs:115)
    11. UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName, System.Object obj) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:295)
    12. UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:288)
    13. UnityEditor.HostView.InvokeOnGUI (Rect onGUIPosition) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:255)
    We're running unity 2017.3.1f btw

17. LesBloom

LesBloom

Hi @Gotlight ,

I have been encountering an issue where it will rebuild the cache very often. It seems like it happens the first time I use it for the day. Maybe it's when I close and reopen Unity? I am not exactly sure. This wouldn't be so bad except for that it takes about 10 minutes to build the cache.

Any help would be appreciated

18. Gotlight

Gotlight

Hi @Fronne , thank you for your feedback! You're the first user to report us such issue.. Would it help if we create the special version for you with such button? :) If so, please provide me with your e-mail address (you can PM me).

Thanks!
    D.

P.S. sorry for the late reply ;)

19. Gotlight

Gotlight

Hi @funnersoft , thank you for your question. Unfortunately, Unity disables the cache in these cases.. We'll try to find some workaround for this situation. I'll provide you with an update if we find it.

Thanks,
    D.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  20. CodeBombQuinn

CodeBombQuinn

This is an awesome product! We're also switching to 2018.3 and nested prefabs. Would love to see this searching implemented into the new Prefab Workflow. Any idea when that could become available?

Thanks!

21. plmx

plmx

It seems that when searching for sprites, their usage within a UI Image ("Source Image") is not found. What I did was this: Leftclick on the sprite asset in the project, select "File usages", then click "Search Scenes". The correct scene is listed. Then click "Open Scene and Search", which results in nothing ("No file dependencies found"), although the sprite is in fact used in an image in that scene.

22. pajamajama

pajamajama

@Gotlight just want to bump the requests to update for nested prefab searching. Is that being worked on? This plugin seems mostly unusable now in 2018.3+

23. Gotlight

Gotlight

Hi, thanks for letting us know. We'll start the work on this feature in the nearest feature as we see there are more people interested in it.

Thank you,
    D.

24. Gotlight

Gotlight

Hi, sorry for the late reply, is it still the case? If so, we'll try to simulate and fix it together with an update discussed above.

Thank you,
    D.

25. pajamajama

pajamajama

dang. In that case, you should probably update the supported Unity versions to be "5.3.4 to 2018.2", instead of "5.3.4 or higher".

sonnyb likes this.
  26. jonagill_rr

jonagill_rr

Seconding interest for a version of this that supports 2018.3 and nested prefabs.

afshin_a_1 likes this.
  27. JohnnyFactor

JohnnyFactor

This was working well for a while but now it seems the cache is out of date maybe? I searched for an image file and it showed usages in a lot of materials using Amplify shaders. I replaced that image with another one but the file usage window still shows it in use. I think I could use that "clear cache" button too.

afshin_a_1 likes this.
  28. Tony707

Tony707

+1 for 2018.3 support.

afshin_a_1 likes this.
  29. sonnyb

sonnyb

+1 for 2018.3 support.

afshin_a_1 likes this.
  30. Split82

Split82

Can't wait for the 2018.3 support. Thanks for the great work :)

afshin_a_1 likes this.
  31. sonnyb

sonnyb

I also agree with this, and there is another comment in the reviews

"At least update the description to mention that it is not compatible with 2018.3+"
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/utilities/asset-usage-finder-59997

I'm still hoping this gets updated someday! Thanks

afshin_a_1 likes this.
  32. PatrickLipo

PatrickLipo

Just what I would need: I had my finger on the "Buy" button but then I saw the issues with 2018.3. Eager for an update!

afshin_a_1 likes this.
  33. Brechtos

Brechtos

Been using this asset for over 2 years and really hoping for an update that supports 2018.3+ in the near future :)
    To me this is an essential maintenance asset/feature that should be available from inside the engine to begin with!

afshin_a_1 likes this.
  34. Meatloaf4

Meatloaf4

Also want to add my support for the update.

Love this asset

35. Archanor

Archanor

+1 vote for 2018.3 support. Would be happy to pay again.

afshin_a_1 likes this.
  36. MildaGenius2

MildaGenius2

Waiting for 2018.3 support too.

afshin_a_1 likes this.
  37. Stexe

Stexe

Any idea when/if there will be 2018.3 and 2019 support?

afshin_a_1 likes this.
  38. afshin_a_1

afshin_a_1

i got a whole bunch of errors using this package with unity 2018.3. also changes unity editor ui to a wierd thing after playing an audio file.

39. murgonen

murgonen

+1 for Unity 2018.3/2019 support. Thankfully we use 2018.2 so I'll buy it anyway, but if we upgrade at some point it would be nice to have support.

40. SugoiDev

SugoiDev

Is there any news for nested prefabs support on newer Unity versions?

41. Gotlight

Gotlight

Dear @redmugstudios @ScherfLab @CodeBombQuinn @plmx @pajamajama @jonagill_rr @JohnnyFactor @Tony707 @sonnyb @Split82 @PatrickLipo @Brechtos @Meatloaf4 @Archanor @MildaGenius2 @Stexe @afshinunity @murgonen @SugoiDev

Guys, guys, guys. We have great news for you! Yesterday, we have submitted the Asset Usage Finder v4.0 with support for Nested Prefabs for review.
    You should be able to grab an update for free within several days. ⚡

P.S. Sorry for the delay and thank you for your patience. Hope you'll like it!
    P.P.S. As part of an update, product asset store page will receive a new design

Archanor, sonnyb and Stexe like this.
  42. Archanor

Archanor

@Gotlight That's awesome! Thanks for supporting this asset again :)

Gotlight likes this.
  43. Stexe

Stexe

Great news. Looking good. But what about that free voucher for version 4.0 you usually post? wink wink nudge nudge :p

44. CodeBombQuinn

CodeBombQuinn

Thanks @Gotlight! What about finding references when used through Addressables, we're starting to move a bunch of our prefabs to load through Addressables instead, hopefully there's some way to find usages through that, would be pretty great!

Stexe likes this.
  45. Gotlight

Gotlight

Hey Stexe! We think we may renew this nice practice :)

Are you still to become a happy Asset Usage Finder user?

D.

Stexe likes this.
  46. Stexe

Stexe

Yeah, I've been holding off on getting it until the 4.0 release and when I'm further in my project. But I'm always interested in getting a key and trying it out before hand. =)

47. Archanor

Archanor

@Stexe It's definitely worth the money. I bought it 3 years ago and it's saved me hundreds of hours of optimizing my VFX assets and cleaning up my projects.

Stexe likes this.
  48. Gotlight

Gotlight

Hi Addressables have been quite unstable some time ago (were crashing in the runtime even on the examples from Unity). We doublechecked and they are still quite raw.. We're not using them in our projects personally and it's the first time someone asks us about them!
    Should there be more users, we'll add their support in some way, however it's not something rock solid to support as of now.

Thanks a lot! :)

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
  49. Gotlight

Gotlight

@redmugstudios @ScherfLab @CodeBombQuinn @plmx @pajamajama @jonagill_rr @JohnnyFactor @Tony707 @sonnyb @Split82 @PatrickLipo @Brechtos @Meatloaf4 @Archanor @MildaGenius2 @Stexe @afshinunity @murgonen @SugoiDev @Stexe @CodeBombQuinn

Our dear users and Asset Usage Finder fans (us among them)! We'd like to thank you for your patience again and we're happy the product is living again and easing your lives.

We're thrilled to announce to you we've released a new powerful product - Asset Cleaner!
    Basically it's as good as Asset Usage Finder with a Cleaning functionality on top of it.

In a nutshell:
    1) It helps you to make & maintain your project clean, easily. Includes both window and dockable view
    2) It has Usage finding feature built-in, with usages being shown immediately after selecting an asset

Fantastic news is that we provide a great discount on Asset Cleaner to our existing Asset Usage Finder users.
    Instead of $30, you should see a price of $10 when you're on the product page:
    - https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/slug/167990

Please check whether it's something interesting for you (2x <2min video showcases included) and let us know in you have any questions

We're looking forward to have you onboard & ready to become a cleaning ninja ✨
    Denis & GameDevTools team

AlejMC, sonnyb, Stexe and 1 other person like this.
  50. AlejMC

AlejMC

I'm incredibly happy to have seen this product be updated, I was using it as is since the last time before the updates with all the warnings and whatnot... that useful it is.
    I had a question, when a project gets huge it naturally becomes incredibly long to search for assets references, however sometimes I know the reference or object to be searched for is already in the scene.
    Currently I see two functions embedded regarding asset reference finding:
    1. An object/component/etc instance inside the scene and searched for a reference inside the same scene (this is usually quite fast)
    2. An asset/texture/material/scriptable-object/etc to be searched for project-wide: this one is naturally susceptible to get longer and longer the bigger the project grows. Not much to do here especially on the very first search before any caching happens.
    What would be great is to have a great option to search for the asset like in #2, but inside the already opened scenes... for example, I use a lot ScriptableObjects as Events, so it would be great to select an 'Event' (i.e. EnemyKilledEvent scriptable object in the browser) and do a 'search in scene'. This is very similar to how unity already does 'Find References In Scene' but the unity built one is incredibly slow (sometimes 10mins searching for a single thing on my side) and sometimes it find nothing... Asset Finder has a faster and better presentation for searching and displaying the found references.