Search Unity

Bug Asset Thumbnails Blank. "Texture creation failed. 'None' is not supported for Render usage"

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by KnifeTricks, May 29, 2022.

1. KnifeTricks

KnifeTricks

I am using Unity verson 2022.1.1f1 with URP. None of my meshes, prefabs or materials show thumbnails. I have tried to refresh and reimport them with no success.

I can edit a value in a material and the thumbnail will show until I save my project again, then it will return to being blank.

I am getting an error that seems to occur somewhat randomly. Sometimes at runtime, sometimes when I save.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Last edited: Jun 6, 2022
    Seromu and Vaupell like this.
  2. KnifeTricks

KnifeTricks

I could really use a response from Unity on this. The error in question is not just happening with TireMarks.mat, but with all materials and meshes. It is making working on my project much more difficult than it should be.

3. jbergmann06

jbergmann06

I have exactly the same problem with the same exceptions being thrown.
    The problem appeared for me since upgrading a project from an older version.
    UnityEditor.AssetPreviewUpdater:CreatePreviewForAsset(Object, Object[], String)

Suggests that texture creation fails, but the result seems to get cached either way and that is why the preview appears empty would be my guess.

EDIT: managed to fix it by creating a new urp asset and selecting it in project settings.
    EDIT 2: sadly this solution also stopped working after some hours.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2022
  4. MustardBoy

MustardBoy

Same problem for me (2022.1.3), unfortunately after a day of testing, I couldn't find any fix.
    This problem should be a priority, if you work on the materials it is unusable.

5. KnifeTricks

KnifeTricks

This also occurred for me once I upgraded my project from an older version.

Still no word from Unity... could we please get some support on this issue?

6. MustardBoy

MustardBoy

I found a solution, I recreated the 3 files for the URP and I re-assigned them in "Project setting".

Urp Render.JPG

Then after the first save of the scene, the Thumbnails reappeared.

Hope it still works tomorrow...

7. MustardBoy

MustardBoy

Edit :
    after restarting unity it still works, but:
    - I still have the error msgs.
    - Only Shader Graph materials are displayed correctly, custom shader or standard URP do not work.​

8. Ravery

Ravery

I'm still experiencing this problem.
    Has anyone found a solution?

9. Vaupell

Vaupell

I found the ticket, and it's closed, and says fixed, but clearly not.. URP 13.1.8 now, still not working.

Code (CSharp):
    1. [Worker22] Texture creation failed. 'None' is not supported for Render usage on this platform. Use 'SystemInfo.IsFormatSupported' C# API to check format support.
    4. [Worker22] NullReferenceException
    5. UnityEngine.Rendering.RTHandleSystem.Alloc (System.Int32 width, System.Int32 height, System.Int32 slices, UnityEngine.Rendering.DepthBits depthBufferBits, UnityEngine.Experimental.Rendering.GraphicsFormat colorFormat, UnityEngine.FilterMode filterMode, UnityEngine.TextureWrapMode wrapMode, UnityEngine.Rendering.TextureDimension dimension, System.Boolean enableRandomWrite, System.Boolean useMipMap, System.Boolean autoGenerateMips, System.Boolean isShadowMap, System.Int32 anisoLevel, System.Single mipMapBias, UnityEngine.Rendering.MSAASamples msaaSamples, System.Boolean bindTextureMS, System.Boolean useDynamicScale, UnityEngine.RenderTextureMemoryless memoryless, UnityEngine.VRTextureUsage vrUsage, System.String name) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.core@13.1.8/Runtime/Textures/RTHandleSystem.cs:490)
    6. UnityEngine.Rendering.RTHandles.Alloc (UnityEngine.RenderTextureDescriptor& descriptor, UnityEngine.FilterMode filterMode, UnityEngine.TextureWrapMode wrapMode, System.Boolean isShadowMap, System.Int32 anisoLevel, System.Single mipMapBias, System.String name) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.core@13.1.8/Runtime/Textures/RTHandles.cs:117)
    7. UnityEngine.Rendering.Universal.RenderingUtils.ReAllocateIfNeeded (UnityEngine.Rendering.RTHandle& handle, UnityEngine.RenderTextureDescriptor& descriptor, UnityEngine.FilterMode filterMode, UnityEngine.TextureWrapMode wrapMode, System.Boolean isShadowMap, System.Int32 anisoLevel, System.Single mipMapBias, System.String name) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal@13.1.8/Runtime/RenderingUtils.cs:570)
    8. UnityEngine.Rendering.Universal.Internal.RenderTargetBufferSystem.ReAllocate (UnityEngine.Rendering.CommandBuffer cmd) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal@13.1.8/Runtime/RenderTargetBufferSystem.cs:82)
    9. UnityEngine.Rendering.Universal.Internal.RenderTargetBufferSystem.GetFrontBuffer (UnityEngine.Rendering.CommandBuffer cmd) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal@13.1.8/Runtime/RenderTargetBufferSystem.cs:59)
    10. UnityEngine.Rendering.Universal.UniversalRenderer.GetCameraColorFrontBuffer (UnityEngine.Rendering.CommandBuffer cmd) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal@13.1.8/Runtime/UniversalRenderer.cs:1256)
    11. UnityEngine.Rendering.Universal.Internal.CopyColorPass.Execute (UnityEngine.Rendering.ScriptableRenderContext context, UnityEngine.Rendering.Universal.RenderingData& renderingData) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal@13.1.8/Runtime/Passes/CopyColorPass.cs:124)
    12. UnityEngine.Rendering.Universal.ScriptableRenderer.ExecuteRenderPass (UnityEngine.Rendering.ScriptableRenderContext context, UnityEngine.Rendering.Universal.ScriptableRenderPass renderPass, UnityEngine.Rendering.Universal.RenderingData& renderingData) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal@13.1.8/Runtime/ScriptableRenderer.cs:1099)
    13. UnityEngine.Rendering.Universal.ScriptableRenderer.ExecuteBlock (System.Int32 blockIndex, UnityEngine.Rendering.Universal.ScriptableRenderer+RenderBlocks& renderBlocks, UnityEngine.Rendering.ScriptableRenderContext context, UnityEngine.Rendering.Universal.RenderingData& renderingData, System.Boolean submit) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal@13.1.8/Runtime/ScriptableRenderer.cs:1058)
    14. UnityEngine.Rendering.Universal.ScriptableRenderer.Execute
    have this issue both on latest 2021 and 2022 beta,,

10. Armend

Armend

I get the same error message. I am currently developing a EditorTool and need the "AssetPreview.GetAssetPreview()"-Preview of the objects, but it allways return a blank preview.

What helped for me was marking the asset as dirty.

EditorUtility.SetDirty( gameobject);

Then the asset preview reappear. Idk why this is happening.

I use URP and ShaderGraph-Shaders.

11. Ravery

Ravery

Where would I put it? I have only a very rudimentary understanding of editor programming.

12. Vaupell

Vaupell

I got mine working again, by changing rendering path to deferred also changing the masks.
    Which is terrible, because this should only effect the project NOT THE EDITOR.

Anyway, changed to deferred and random clicked around the layers then it started loading and show the prefabs again.,
    However ALL the warnings and alarms are still shown..

But now at least i can work

upload_2022-8-1_21-22-4.png

13. Herbal23

Herbal23

I think I found what's causing this bug.
    It looks like the Opaque Texture setting in the default URP asset is the culprit. It's not fixed in the recent stable release (I'm using 2022.1.10f1, URP 13.1.8).
    My guess is that probably these settings are used for thumbnail generation camera and the texture is not properly init there.

For now, I've disabled the Opaque Texture in the URP asset and enabled it in the main camera's rendering override setting instead. The only drawback I can see is that now, the scene camera doesn't have the texture, but I can live with that.

14. gasppol

gasppol

Thanks Herbal, certainly, only projects with Opaque Texture enabled are those with blank thumbnails. After changing the setting, the thumbnails comes back.

15. FaberVi

FaberVi

Same problem on latest unity 2022.1.12f1...

16. haleler51

haleler51

Been having this same problem.

17. MrBigly

MrBigly

I have developed a transparent shader (using the shader graph) that does funky things with the light as it passes through the mesh. I found that I have to turn on OpaqueTextures in the URP-HighFidelity to get my shader to render transparent.

I am currently using 2022.1.14f1. I don't recall this problem with 2021.1.24f1, but I may not have noticed. I am not certain the impact it has on the game I am developing. I am thinking of moving back to the recommended LTS 2021.3.8f.

If I can turn on the transparency without turning on the OpaqueTextures flag that might be the best solution to move forward with this latest version. Any insight is appreciated.

EDIT 9/22/22- I am not sure why but I don't see the error message any longer. I turned on opaque textures for all three qualities of URP settings. But now if I turn them all off and on again, I still don't get the error messages. I don't recall if I did something else to trigger the issue. If I see it again and determine what I was doing to trigger it I will update this post.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2022
  18. Reahreic

Reahreic

This issue still persists when running the latest non-alpha/beta build available in 2022.1.16f1. Unfortunately due to using custom render features that require OpaqueTextures to be checked the workaround is wont cut it and rolling back to 2012LTS, 2020LTS, or even 2019LTS leave too many unfinished features and issues that forced me to update in the first place.

Code (CSharp):
    2. [Worker0] Texture creation failed. 'None' is not supported for Render usage on this platform. Use 'SystemInfo.IsFormatSupported' C# API to check format support.
    4. [Worker0] NullReferenceException
    5. UnityEngine.Rendering.RTHandleSystem.Alloc (System.Int32 width, System.Int32 height, System.Int32 slices, UnityEngine.Rendering.DepthBits depthBufferBits, UnityEngine.Experimental.Rendering.GraphicsFormat colorFormat, UnityEngine.FilterMode filterMode, UnityEngine.TextureWrapMode wrapMode, UnityEngine.Rendering.TextureDimension dimension, System.Boolean enableRandomWrite, System.Boolean useMipMap, System.Boolean autoGenerateMips, System.Boolean isShadowMap, System.Int32 anisoLevel, System.Single mipMapBias, UnityEngine.Rendering.MSAASamples msaaSamples, System.Boolean bindTextureMS, System.Boolean useDynamicScale, UnityEngine.RenderTextureMemoryless memoryless, UnityEngine.VRTextureUsage vrUsage, System.String name) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.core@13.1.8/Runtime/Textures/RTHandleSystem.cs:490)
    6. UnityEngine.Rendering.RTHandles.Alloc (UnityEngine.RenderTextureDescriptor& descriptor, UnityEngine.FilterMode filterMode, UnityEngine.TextureWrapMode wrapMode, System.Boolean isShadowMap, System.Int32 anisoLevel, System.Single mipMapBias, System.String name) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.core@13.1.8/Runtime/Textures/RTHandles.cs:117)
    7. UnityEngine.Rendering.Universal.RenderingUtils.ReAllocateIfNeeded (UnityEngine.Rendering.RTHandle& handle, UnityEngine.RenderTextureDescriptor& descriptor, UnityEngine.FilterMode filterMode, UnityEngine.TextureWrapMode wrapMode, System.Boolean isShadowMap, System.Int32 anisoLevel, System.Single mipMapBias, System.String name) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal@13.1.8/Runtime/RenderingUtils.cs:570)
    8. UnityEngine.Rendering.Universal.Internal.RenderTargetBufferSystem.ReAllocate (UnityEngine.Rendering.CommandBuffer cmd) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal@13.1.8/Runtime/RenderTargetBufferSystem.cs:82)
    9. UnityEngine.Rendering.Universal.Internal.RenderTargetBufferSystem.GetFrontBuffer (UnityEngine.Rendering.CommandBuffer cmd) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal@13.1.8/Runtime/RenderTargetBufferSystem.cs:59)
    10. UnityEngine.Rendering.Universal.UniversalRenderer.GetCameraColorFrontBuffer (UnityEngine.Rendering.CommandBuffer cmd) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal@13.1.8/Runtime/UniversalRenderer.cs:1260)
    11. UnityEngine.Rendering.Universal.Internal.CopyColorPass.Execute (UnityEngine.Rendering.ScriptableRenderContext context, UnityEngine.Rendering.Universal.RenderingData& renderingData) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal@13.1.8/Runtime/Passes/CopyColorPass.cs:124)
    12. UnityEngine.Rendering.Universal.ScriptableRenderer.ExecuteRenderPass (UnityEngine.Rendering.ScriptableRenderContext context, UnityEngine.Rendering.Universal.ScriptableRenderPass renderPass, UnityEngine.Rendering.Universal.RenderingData& renderingData) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal@13.1.8/Runtime/ScriptableRenderer.cs:1099)
    13. UnityEngine.Rendering.Universal.ScriptableRenderer.ExecuteBlock (System.Int32 blockIndex, UnityEngine.Rendering.Universal.ScriptableRenderer+RenderBlocks& renderBlocks, UnityEngine.Rendering.ScriptableRenderContext context, UnityEngine.Rendering.Universal.RenderingData& renderingData, System.Boolean submit) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal@13.1.8/Runtime/ScriptableRenderer.cs:1058)
    14. UnityEngine.Rendering.Universal.ScriptableRenderer.Execute (UnityEngine.Rendering.ScriptableRenderContext context, UnityEngine.Rendering.Universal.RenderingData& renderingData) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal@13.1.8/Runtime/ScriptableRenderer.cs:843)
    15. UnityEngine.Rendering.Universal.UniversalRenderPipeline.RenderSingleCamera (UnityEngine.Rendering.ScriptableRenderContext context, UnityEngine.Rendering.Universal.CameraData cameraData, System.Boolean anyPostProcessingEnabled) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal@13.1.8/Runtime/UniversalRenderPipeline.cs:432)
    16. UnityEngine.Rendering.Universal.UniversalRenderPipeline.RenderSingleCamera (UnityEngine.Rendering.ScriptableRenderContext context, UnityEngine.Camera camera) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal@13.1.8/Runtime/UniversalRenderPipeline.cs:338)
    17. UnityEngine.Rendering.Universal.UniversalRenderPipeline.Render (UnityEngine.Rendering.ScriptableRenderContext renderContext, System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T] cameras) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal@13.1.8/Runtime/UniversalRenderPipeline.cs:293)
    18. UnityEngine.Rendering.RenderPipeline.InternalRender (UnityEngine.Rendering.ScriptableRenderContext context, System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T] cameras) (at <790a43858b4b404fbe02a2b7b4a0d9d6>:0)
    19. UnityEngine.Rendering.RenderPipelineManager.DoRenderLoop_Internal (UnityEngine.Rendering.RenderPipelineAsset pipe, System.IntPtr loopPtr, System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T] renderRequests, Unity.Collections.LowLevel.Unsafe.AtomicSafetyHandle safety) (at <790a43858b4b404fbe02a2b7b4a0d9d6>:0)
    20. UnityEditor.AssetPreviewUpdater:CreatePreviewForAsset(Object, Object[], String)

19. ElliotB

ElliotB

This bug has also occurred for me for months. It is by it's very nature hard to reproduce, but disabling Opaque Texture seems to have stopped the error from occurring.

20. jack_artisan

jack_artisan

We're encountering this error message after updating our project to 2022.1.16f1, and can confirm that changing the Surface Type on a material from Opaque to Transparent removes the error and correctly generates the thumbnail. However given that we're specifically using the Opaque surface type this isn't a valid solution. Is there any update on a fix for this?

21. FaberVi

FaberVi

After at least 4 Unity updates it seems to me really absurd that there is still this problem. No fixes even in the last 2022.1.17f1. Unity are we going to wake up or not?

22. KnifeTricks

KnifeTricks

To update everyone... I was unable to resolve this issue in any proper way. I ended up exporting most of my project as a package and importing it into a totally new Unity project with the latest LTS.

I know that isn't what people want to hear... Fortunately my project was still small enough where this only took a day of work, but I can imagine that isn't a workable solution for others.

JustJunuh likes this.
  23. JustJunuh

JustJunuh

Yep. I got the same bug as y'all. It looks like it's the Opaque Texture. I disabled it in all my URP assets, restarted Unity, and thumbnails are back. URP 13.1.8 v2022.1.20f1

There is some good news though. Looks like our issue is in review for one of the next versions... https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...lit-shader-graph-if-opaque-texture-is-enabled

It remains to be seen if it will actually stay fixed though, lol

FaberVi and KnifeTricks like this.
  24. sanchopancho02

sanchopancho02

for future googlers: delete library folder and restart editor

25. Zorranco

Zorranco

2021.2.0b11 and if I disable opaque texture in the URP asset, refresh or even reimport, thumbnails still don't appear ¬¬

This, and the fact that shader graph's preview isn't worlking too (not in my beta, but even in 2021 LTS releases I've tried) is driving me absolutely nuts.

Starting to think about migrating my game to a 2023 release...wich is going to take me months.

PD: tried to delete library folder too, just in case. Rebuilt it and doesn't work.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2023
  26. MatheusDallaRT

MatheusDallaRT

I made a script to automate screenshots, and I was having this issue.
    The solution that I found was disabling the Decals render feature.

27. DeathPro

DeathPro

I was using decals in my project. I changed the Decal Technique from Automatic to Screen Space. Then all the 999+ errors are gone.

upload_2023-10-10_16-40-7.png

gentt1024 likes this.