Search Unity

Asset Store with Subscriptions

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Cromfeli, Jan 4, 2017.

1. devluz

devluz

We really need subscriptions. Assets just naturally die after a few years because the maintenance costs overtake the purchases.

Flipbookee and Cromfeli like this.
  2. Zer0ne7

Zer0ne7

Please add a subscription model for selling on the store

Flipbookee and Cromfeli like this.
  3. Cromfeli

Cromfeli

The more I think of it the more this type of approach feels like a good way.

I am wondering if "market rules" would settle and converge quickly if even multiple pricing approaches would be available. Instead of fixing it in stone. Abuse naturally is a issue that always must be fixed, yet if developer risks their business on abuse in free market the competing solutions will just get bigger space to operate. Monopolistic single solution devs with no competition in principle should have the freedom, as they have today, to price the product as they wish. I suppose that's the idea of free market capitalism what Asset store represent in its sandbox universe?

Voxel-Busters and Flipbookee like this.
  4. Voxel-Busters

Voxel-Busters

When it comes to subscriptions, I'm glad to see that @Cromfeli, although being an asset store consumer, constantly offers his opinion in favour of the publishers. Thank you very much, buddy!

Yes, support subscriptions will undoubtedly assist, and they have been a well-known sustaining model on the Envato market for a long time.

I'm certain that the Asset Store team will listen intently and respond to this issue sometime soon :)

Cromfeli likes this.
  5. jerotas

jerotas

We tried demo versions of our products but it provided no discernable increase in sales at all, so due to the increased maintainence required for the demo versions, we abandoned it. And I've heard this a lot from other authors.

Although we've also released several major upgrades and never charged for them. Subscriptions do intrigue me, and they could be pretty inexpensive possibly to make it attractive.

6. jerotas

jerotas

I mean what if it was like $1-2 a month subscription vs $75-100 to get it outright? At some point it becomes attractive based on your timeline, for most people.

7. jerotas

jerotas

Playing devil's advocate here.

1) I use the free Malwarebytes and have no issues, I get updates too.
    2) After all the potential customers have bought it? That's not really possible. New gamemakers come along every day, and they are all potential customers. If an asset wants to stay on top (as Master Audio does), updates need to keep coming or it will drop out of use (as NGUI has). Especially as Unity breaks things multiple times a year.

I do like the idea of subscriptions though.

8. cdr9042

cdr9042

Because Malwarebyte has premium customers paying subscription to support them.

Cromfeli likes this.
  9. Cromfeli

Cromfeli

LOL HI UNITY!

10. Cromfeli

Cromfeli

11. ZerinLabs

ZerinLabs

Hi folks,

I was wondering if unity had some kind of subscription method in place (or planned) for the asset store developers and just found this thread...

anyway, here simply to express that I really think a susbcription payment method (if not per asset per bundle or even per UAS developer would pay off for unity no matter what.

so... time to see if our prayers are listened :)

Mark-Currie and Cromfeli like this.