Search Unity

Asset store very slow with Unity 4

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Jesse_Pixelsmith, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Jesse_Pixelsmith

Jesse_Pixelsmith

Anyone else noticing that the Asset Store in Unity 4 is extremely slow? When I have it open I can't do anything else with my project, and it takes about a minute to load the page.

Using Unity 3 was fine for me. Servers just bogged down?

vexe likes this.
  2. Darrick

Darrick

I have the same problem, unity runs fine until I open the asset store and then everything crawls, everything else still runs fine and my cpu usage says low. as with jalex everything was fine with the previous version of unity.

3. Katalyst

Katalyst

I have this same exact issue. Been trying for days to find something that will fix it. :(

4. EvansGreen

EvansGreen

Yeah, I'm unable to use the asset store... It just takes 3 minutes for it to open...

5. Silvers

Silvers

same thing here. worked fine in unity 3.5

6. EvansGreen

EvansGreen

If anyone managed to fix their asset store, please post a brief description of what you did, cause... I've read that reinstalling Unity4 could solve the issue... I'll tell you later if that works!

7. createdbyx

createdbyx

Same problem here. It usually takes about 10+ seconds before the unity ui becomes usable again and the asset store page begins loading. It only does it when I switch over to the asset store tab or open a new tab.

8. Jesse_Pixelsmith

Jesse_Pixelsmith

Still an issue for me, anyone found a way to fix?

9. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Jalex - Make sure to report a bug on this if it's acting odd for you. That way it's filed and can be tracked/fixed.

10. Matt1988

Matt1988

Also having this very frustrating problem.

11. vanmani

vanmani

Yeah, I've got the same issue. The store when using Unity 4 is paaaaaaainfully slow - just having it open makes Unity unusable. With a Unity 3.5 install it's just fine.

12. tinman

tinman

Me too, same thing.

13. Saccoon

Saccoon

Why do i see no admin posts on this yet? This is extremely impairing. :(

14. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

I've found that occasionally it works at almost acceptable speeds (still WAY slower than opening Asset Store in Firefox), but on occasion it will take like 5 minutes to load and then error out with SSL connect errors. A bit annoying -_-

15. dakka

dakka

Yup, so painfully slow. My only work around is using the asset store from 3.5, which is a horrible workflow.

16. Victor-Cardona

Victor-Cardona

Same here, the asset store in unity 4 is very slow

17. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

Aye same thing, i have something like a hundred assets, everytime i open the asset store i know i'm in for 2-3minuts before i can even begin to click "import". Was working perfectly fine before unity 4.

18. ShortcakeTheDeveloper

ShortcakeTheDeveloper

Works fine for me. Unity 4 under Windows 7 Pro x64, Intel i5 2400.

19. progmeer

progmeer

Same here. Opening the store basically freezes the application.

20. Alexandros1313

Alexandros1313

same problem...

21. Trinda

Trinda

Same problem also

22. WolfGames

WolfGames

Same problem...

23. 1tera

1tera

same problem ...

24. theSoenke

theSoenke

same problem

25. Manaburn

Manaburn

It's staggeringly slow, makes using the mixamo browser unbelievably painful. It also caches nothing, and only actually bothers loading if the window has focus (so no tabbing out and doing something useful while it takes 5-6 mins to load around 200k of images).

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/

Doesn't seem particularly slow in a real browser.

26. Pix10

Pix10

It's never particularly fast but it does seem a bit troubled tonight. "Connecting to Mixamo..." will be haunting my sleep, although no idea if that has to go through UAS or not.

27. Trinda

Trinda

Problem with that is you can't setup downloads or purchase items through the web store, it only opens the sluggish asset store.
    Tried using Unity 3.5 to get what I need, anything that requires 4.0 can't even be downloaded

28. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

It should be easy to find the bug since it happened at 4.X, not that much could have changed in their asset store there. Wonder why this isn't fixed yet because it's a huge huge huge pain point for me (i'm probably in the 100 paid assets range, so buying or importing anything is near impossible now!)

29. ttank7

ttank7

This problem is not good...

30. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

I think they should go ahead and integrate an existing browser solution like Mozilla... would probably run loads faster than it is now :)

31. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

They probably have, i doubt they've rolled their own browser yknow from scratch yknow :)

32. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

Well, I thought they used Webkit as a base... not fully used something like Mozilla

33. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

Well you can't integrate a full browser with everything, my bet is the issue is one of two (wild bet really)
    1) Update to a newer version of the web engine made a JS bug apparent and is leading to very large recursion in their JS somewhere
    2) Change to the unity engine made speed issues with a diferent way of drawing / invalidating surfaces from the browser API

34. EvansGreen

EvansGreen

It has been like this for me since Unity 4 started... The best I could do is download Unity 3, which works just fine, and browse/purchase from the asset store there, limiting the usage of Unity 4's asset store to the mere import of the assets. Still slow, but it's something. Tried everything else out there and found no way to make it work adequately.

It would be reassuring to read that this is, at least, being investigated by the devs.

35. LNMRae

LNMRae

Been in contact with Unity over this. I talked to general support and they had me send over a ticket via their bug reporter and they sent that to the asset store devs. Everyone I have talked to has been stumped and never even heard of the issue, which isn't very reassuring that they're even working on fixing it. I encourage all of you to contact support so that they can become aware of this.

36. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

I'm fairly sure i submited this as part of another bug (a DX11 issue where the asset store doesn't appear in DX11 mode). However no fogbuz link for this bug so can't be sure.

But this thread has been going on since last november, how come no one from unity spoted this and created a bug internally?

37. Singtaa

Singtaa

This problem only happens on certain hardware (mine included). It's a shame that it's been going on for months with no solution at all. I couldn't get anything from the Asset Store since 4.0 came out.

There was an official response to this in this thread:

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/160982-Asset-store-terribly-slow?p=1137756

They need to just improve the web version, so we can buy from there and have our payment information saved online. In the client, they can just have a window or some UI to sync the owner's packages. There's no need for the client to embed a browser. I'm sure that'll save a bit of bytes too.

38. Toasttify

Toasttify

Same problem here on amd based system, honestly the easiest fix would be to just let us buy from the browser, using chrome loads asset store in seconds yet it makes you open unity just to buy it.

39. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

Buying from browser wouldn't fix the issue , it would fix the browsing / buying process but not the browsing for assets you own to import.
    When i open up the asset store "just" to import assets it takes forever.
    Actually the good fix would be to both be able to buy on web AND separate the downloaded assets from the web area (make it a separate non asset store window done natively in unity GUI using no web components).
    That or get some consulting into this as i've seen many many web browsers integrated into other products that work just fine performance wise (in everquest 2, in eve online etc) so it should be trivial to get a web browser component that works smoothly, even more so if you only have a single website to test!

40. greenrhyno

greenrhyno

Is this still an issue? Is it Mac or Windows specific? Just wondering about to take the Unity 4 plunge but don't want to lose the asset store.

41. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

Yes dtill an issue for me.
    Windows 8 here

42. theSoenke

theSoenke

same problem for me on Windows 8 and Windows 7

43. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

Ew, you guys use Windows 8?
    JK
    I only occasionally experience problems (on Win 7 here). Most of the time loads fine (although a bit slow, same as in Unity 3), but every so often it will take well over 30 minutes and then throw an error (and when that happens I have to reboot Unity)

44. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

For info it's not a win 8 issue, i had it on win 7 before i switched to 8.

45. LNMRae

LNMRae

Updated to the latest version of unity 4 and it is still an issue. Running Windows 7. I don't understand why nothing has been done about this yet-I guess not enough people are affected by it? It's unfortunate, makes buying stuff impossible.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  46. DRAX

DRAX

Has anyone managed to solve this issue?
    I am having this problem also (few minutes app is frozen upon opening asset store)...
    Unity 4.0.1
    Windows 7 x64

47. eddyjohnson3

eddyjohnson3

Same problem here. Been bothering me for weeks now since Unity 4.

Windows 7 Proffesional 64 bit + high speed internet connection...

48. Master-Tanker

Master-Tanker

Same problem here, this is annoying and a very old issue, i have reinstalled unity and still broken.

49. M4R5

M4R5

Same!! D;

50. unitylover

unitylover

Same problem here, Windows 7, Unity 4. Most of the time I get a white screen, but if I restart the editor it loads 75% of the time.