Search Unity

Asset Store version 1 is closing

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Rowlan, Apr 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JanisAssetStore

JanisAssetStore

Unity Technologies

@Blueberry Thanks for the feedback. The product/asset detail page has not part of this iteration, but we will re-do this page as well.

@chingwa @Teila The gallery is definitely something we are going to change and improve.

@ikazrima there is actually a "update all" button, when you open "My Local Downloads" in the editor (see attached).

@Rowlan Can you provide some more details on what about downloading/importing is a pain?

Attached Files:

LaneFox likes this.
  2. JBR-games

JBR-games

@AndrewAssetStore
    Super glad to hear that version 2 or most of it will be scrapped, but please keep version 1 around until ALL the bugs (and there will be bugs ,Unity prides its self on them ;):) :D) are worked out.

Ony, TeagansDad, mgear and 1 other person like this.
  3. S4G4N

S4G4N

A very valid comment from a friend on Skype

"all I wanted over time, was a way for the asset store to highlight, with a simple icon, what i already own"
    "half the time, i come back to the store and think "wow", that's worth a buy, click on it, then see the "Open in Unity" button"

KarlGG, digiross, JBR-games and 3 others like this.
  4. malkere

malkere

I, as of right now, cannot use either version of the store. Have you started phasing out V1 or what's up? All of the publisher tags are NVAL and click on anything loads a blank page.

Defeated and frustrated I went to V2, but searching for the exact same thing generates 0 results... Really not looking forward to this "upgrade" if it's really being forced on us. The search is "procedural rock" with 502 results on V1, with stuff that looks really neat "rock factory" "procedural rocks," etc. On V2? Zero results.

Zero results guys. That's really horribly broken.
    I tried on Chrome and Firefox and in the editor.

Literally cannot use either of them right now.

JBR-games likes this.
  5. Shelt

Shelt

Unable to find any of our bought assets today, and all links to all asset store pages are broken, nothing loads.

6. mgear

mgear

7. lewiknight024

lewiknight024

First time back on Unity in a year, and the first thing I want to do is buy an asset for a new project, but the asset store is completely broken. V2 displays about 10 assets and won't find anything with a search. V1 shows all assets on a search, but won't load the pages to them.

I hope this is sorted quickly otherwise I might have to switch engines.

Ony likes this.
  8. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

D2180396-2E92-4FE2-AC01-26D0B5A1C652.png There are a few things that are important for me when using assets that I already purchased:

UPDATES

1. Which assets did I import in my current project ( status imported )

2. Are there updates for the assets that are used in the currently open project?

3. If yes what version am I currently on in this project and whats new in the new version

4. How can I track updates across different projects ( now it updates the asset and I have to remember for each project the status )

5. Notification inside unity of update available assets per project.

Most of this is already available in the package manager, so when that integrates with the store it should be easier to track what assets need to be updated.

I made a mockup of some of the functions talked about.

jeromeWork, daisySa and petero_unity like this.
  9. petero_unity

petero_unity

Head of Asset Store Unity Technologies

Hi

This was down to a network issue that affected a few Unity services earlier, it was resolved quickly. Thanks for flagging though.

Peter

lewiknight024 and S4G4N like this.
  10. SonicBloomEric

SonicBloomEric

I, too, would very much like to have these capabilities. That said, I don't believe it's even possible for Unity to support this with the current Asset Store model because when assets are installed they become, well, pure assets. There appears to be some metadata stored in the meta files that identifies the asset as having come from an "asset store package", but it doesn't say which one. What's more, users who move files around outside of Unity may completely break connections (re-generate meta files), which would then entirely remove the Asset Store status. And that doesn't even touch on whether or not the Asset Store Publisher got it right when they packaged their update. Too many edge cases, as I understand it, to even bother trying for a heuristics-based approach.

That said, my understanding is that the "way forward" is with the Package Manager and Unity has indicated that they eventually want Asset Store packages to be delivered through that system. Whenever that finally comes online, then we may have a way to get those requested features! Fingers crossed...

KarlGG likes this.
  11. SonicBloomEric

SonicBloomEric

Please note that you may have to undock your Asset Store tab in the Editor and expand the width of the window to see those buttons. They simply disappear if your window is too narrow. :(

KarlGG likes this.
  12. Kronnect

Kronnect

That issue still occur on Mac or iPhone.

13. SonicBloomEric

SonicBloomEric

What version of what browser or Unity Editor are you using?

That kind of info will really help Unity see if they can replicate the issue you're experiencing! :D

14. Kronnect

Kronnect

They know about the issue.

JBR-games likes this.
  15. hopeful

hopeful

I'm sure you'd see the same thing once the old asset store is gone. These are just the proactive posters.

Ony, Teila and JBR-games like this.
  16. hopeful

hopeful

It's not even about being old or not ... although I am old. ;)

Many times the pictures of models submitted have substantial empty space around them, and the whole model is viewed in each frame, so there's no way to try to get a better sense of the detailing in the model without a zoom.

Partly, yeah, it's bad salesmanship on the part of some artists. But Unity could be helping too.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
    JBR-games likes this.
  17. daisySa

daisySa

Of everything wrong with v2, this is by far the biggest issue for me: there is no way to list which assets have been updated. Please don't remove the Group By Status option.

For very large production projects that use a lot of assets, this is essential.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  18. hopeful

hopeful

On the in-editor download / import of purchased assets, I would also like the see the size of the package before I download / import it. I don't want to have to make the window repaint in order to go to the asset's page to see how big it is.

KarlGG, TeagansDad and JBR-games like this.
  19. Whippets

Whippets

Performance.
    Performance.
    Performance.

I have a 2mb connection (not fast but far from the worst); the new store can take upto 5 minutes to finish loading, and there's no reason for it. Can't possibly quantity of data as that would mean it's incredibly badly written.

Though the most annoying thing is that if you start typing a search before its finished loading it either hangs or ignores the search and clears the search text once its finished loading.

The overall experience makes you want to kill things with daggers. Kill, kill, die, die!

KarlGG, TeagansDad, Ony and 4 others like this.
  20. Whippets

Whippets

Also bring back the pure all-assets list by release date option. That was great to peruse over a coffee break. Finding new things you would never have searched directly for.

21. sxa

sxa

I cant even begin to understand why this isnt also under 'Purchased', which is the view that always opens by default
    (especially when switching view takes yet just as long again of a frozen UI as 'Purchased' just did)

However, as per an earlier post of mine, this still isnt really going to work very well when V2 is not properly finding all of the assets I have downloaded.

22. JBR-games

JBR-games

I would be willing to bet that 25% of my purchases were assets like this that I didn't even know I wanted...
    But for whatever reason Unity asset store team only wants to promote their "In Crowd" of Developers.

23. Rowlan

Rowlan

For one you have to first hit the Download button and then the Import button. For e. g. a 2 GB asset that's a waste of time having to wait on the slow connection from Unity only to then click again and wait again. It should be a 1-click action to download and install.Especially when you start a new project and have to install multiple assets.

Problem is that the Import after the Download often doesn't work. All you get is the wait animation that's pictured here:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/asset-store-version-1-is-closing.655975/page-2#post-4399657

I did notice though that the import does work if the file was already cached earlier to the hard disc, i. e. if you downloaded it in another project.

Edit: I tried to make a video of it for you just now and downloaded and imported at least 15 assets and it worked. No idea what changed. Btw the Tanks Tutorial took 5 minues, the asset has 48 MB. That's way too slow, would be even on a Modem :D

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
    Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  24. Mark_01

Mark_01

25. JBR-games

JBR-games

This is forsure a big deal.
    I almost look at the new asset store as like Windows 10. Shiny and new , while dumbed down and with less usability, With little to no reguard for feedback.

Ony and malkere like this.
  26. hopeful

hopeful

Honestly, I never knew why they'd want to throw away their investment in the development of v1. V2 was designed as if someone "just knew" that v1 was done all wrong, and in the process they screwed virtually everything up.

If I've been slow to point out bugs in v2, it's mainly because it is boggling how dysfunctional it is. V1 works great. Change the underpinnings if that's what's needed, but leave the user interface.

KarlGG, Ony, malkere and 1 other person like this.
  27. malkere

malkere

exactly. I submitted feedback when it first came out, then I never used it again because it's so much more difficult to use. If that has caused a lack of feedback, it's because nobody wants to touch it!

KarlGG, TeagansDad, Ony and 2 others like this.
  28. LaneFox

LaneFox

I think it was a culmination of team transitioning, back end updates, front end feedback from users and wildly varying opinions on what the store should look like along with new initiatives, marketing strategies and partnerships they had to support. Not to mention geographic challenges with a diverse team. There was a huge abundance of feedback on v2 and maybe that was difficult to digest clearly.

Just trying to be fair, I think it's incredibly weird how the whole thing is handled but I'm also a developer and see weird situations like this sometimes where it feels like gridlock.

Anyway, new store is gonna be hawt.

29. JBR-games

JBR-games

I hope so ;).

hopeful likes this.
  30. SandboxRuckus

SandboxRuckus

I was redirected to post this here.

First off the Asset Icons are unnecessarily large, just viewing the stores home page all you see is a huge banner ad then only 4 to 7 Asset icons. If you want to see more you have to start clicking arrows so you can scroll through more large icons, such unnecessary navigation. The old store front had smaller icons with more information and about 27 to 36 asset icons per page, which made it easy to browse for new assets. Another example of the large icons creating unnecessary clicks is with the “wish list” there are 4 pages of assets when in the old store there is only 2 pages with the same number of assets on the wish list.

On the old asset store front page the asset icons had more info and all the categories were clickable links to them ( name, asset category, creator. star rating, and price). The new store front page icons just has (name, creator, and price) and none of them are quick links.

Now once on the asset’s page in the new asset store you will find some of the most viewed and sought after information (movies / pictures, and package contents) is stuck behind a pop up window which makes it more inconvenient to view all the assets info at the same time. On the old store asset page you can view all the information on the same page you don’t have to go back and forth between popup window and main page. Another pain with the popup window is that resets if you close them and go back to them. Example: I’m digging through an asset’s “package preview popup window” and I have it all expanded and looking deep in to the hierarchy of its contents. When I need to step back to the main page to read some information in the asset’s write up and close the window everything I expanded and had hi-lighted is gone. Now I have to start over and expand the hierarchy each time the window closes. That is a huge waste of time and very frustrating when you are shopping for assets and trying to see if they will work for you.

These are a few of the things that turned me off the New asset store and why I stuck with the old one and fear loosing it for good.

Thanks

KarlGG, Metron, TeagansDad and 4 others like this.
  31. Ony

Ony

Haven't read the whole thread. Can't stand the new store and always use the old one. Too many reasons to list, and I'm sure they've been covered here in depth. I've spent a ton of money in the store. If Unity doesn't want more of my money, then by all means get rid of the old store. If they'd rather keep people like me from finally jumping ship to other engines (it's about time, to be honest) then hey, don't mind me. Between this and the Job forum getting deleted/replaced with Connect (ugh), it just keeps making my time with Unity less and less happy, and more and more irritating.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    Fsilva, KarlGG, Gekigengar and 3 others like this.
  32. r3eckon

r3eckon

I really cannot understand why on earth Unity would remove the old store when clearly a lot of people are saying they like it more than the new one. How about you use a cookie to save our store style preference so everyone can just use the store version they like? Heck, if you really want the new category names to be the norm just change the old store's categories, but for the love of god don't just remove it.

I know responsive / mobile oriented web design is cool to some people and I'm sure most love this kind of website with big scroll away panels and giant buttons... But some of us are on desktop and we have plenty of screen space. With the new store and it's giant icons, at most I can fit 15 assets on screen, and the last row is cut off so you can't see the price. With the old store not only can I see 24 assets with their price and rating, but I also have a visual and thus direct access to all the category and sidebar stuff which requires me to scroll up on the new store to access.

And personally, which is perhaps the most important reason why you should keep this old store layout, I like the old version. I usually hate responsive design because it removes direct access to information and "simplifies" the web pages. It's like those pages are made for people who can't handle too much information at once / mobile users who don't want to have to zoom in.

I mean I don't know. Surely there is some reason why Unity is set on removing the old store... but in my mind it would be very simple to just let us use whichever version of the store we want while they work on their new layout and improve it. In the end, it just feels kinda forced and it's not like people haven't been voicing complaints about this new store.

KarlGG, JBR-games and Ony like this.
  33. hopeful

hopeful

I've tried to use the new store on mobile, and it isn't a better experience there. You're still much better off using the old store.

KarlGG and JBR-games like this.
  34. Ony

Ony

Since the editor doesn't run on mobile, and people are usually working (on their desktop, in the editor) when they need to access the store, I can't for the life of me understand why it's so important for Unity to set everything up with dumbed down mobile style "design".

KarlGG, Whippets, JBR-games and 3 others like this.
  35. chingwa

chingwa

According to my overall AS product statistics, less than 3% of viewers are using mobile devices.

KarlGG and Ony like this.
  36. JBR-games

JBR-games

Not even usable by a long ways...

KarlGG likes this.
  37. Whippets

Whippets

Dumbed down ugly UI is all the rage at the moment. Windows 10 is a prime example of the most user unfriendly, ugly as sin UI ever created.

Antypodish, KarlGG, malkere and 4 others like this.
  38. JBR-games

JBR-games

Im one of those 3% and have actually purchased many assets via my phone. Even when i dont purchase via phone i look around on lunch breaks and other moments of free time to decide on assets to purchase.
    With that said i cant even use the new store with my phone. Old store is so much better and easier. Yes i have to zoom in , but zoom isnt even allowed on new store.

KarlGG, hopeful, Ony and 2 others like this.
  39. JBR-games

JBR-games

Although i 100%agree with you...
    I was thinking about it, and we shouldnt compare the "New" asset store to Windows 10 .

That will just inforce their obvious warped sense of how great their design is. :eek:;)o_O:D

40. Deleted User

Deleted User

And I thought I was the only one thinking that... ;)

Antypodish and JBR-games like this.
  41. mgear

mgear

oh boy, saw email: "we’re excited to announce that the Asset Store Version 1 is officially retiring next week"

and it says affiliate links to old https://assetstore.unity3d.com/ will be broken,
    which sounds like all other links to that address will be broken too?
    (hopefully that's not the case.. would be quite annoying with old forum post asset links, and considering that adding a simple re-direction would be super easy on the server side..)

42. claudial

claudial

Unity Technologies

Hi Affiliates! Please disregard the "retiring next week" call out you've seen in the recent email sent out. Version 1 will be sunsetting soon, but NOT next week. Apologies for this confusion. We'll be providing you more detailed information regarding redirects so you have very little work (if any) to do on your end! Thank you for your engagement and working with us to provide a better experience for our customers. If you have any questions please email the affiliate team at: affiliates@unity3d.com so you can get a prompt reply.

43. Whippets

Whippets

Things not going quite as well as expected?

Antypodish and JBR-games like this.
  44. joshcamas

joshcamas

Yikes. Please don't do this :^)

JBR-games likes this.
  45. JBR-games

JBR-games

Why is it a different person from Unity every single time ?

I sure hope they do alot of changes but from the past year worth of nothing , it doesnt look good at all.. o_O but ill remain hopeful...

Please. More content in a smaller space.. This is about indvidual assets as much as search pages that should have large amounts of asset to scan through. Its all about being able to look at an asset and determine an assets usabilty/value quickly. Does there really need to be constant tabs i have to click to see asset description, version date, version info, contents, size, Reviews?

Also i want to see all the new assets being added to the store (i either already own or dont care about popular assets on the store). Bring back the latest search..

Mobile Version has to have zooming ability or its completely useless...

46. joshcamas

joshcamas

The new site is also incredibly laggy, while the old one loads instantly without any issues. This is made especially clear in unity.

47. hopeful

hopeful

Please, Unity, take your time on this and get it right. From the customer perspective, there's no reason to move from UAS1 to UAS2. All the advantages are owned by UAS1.

TeagansDad, KarlGG, JBR-games and 2 others like this.
  48. Whippets

Whippets

Laggy doesn't do justice to the huge loading times.

KarlGG and joshcamas like this.
  49. Pandur1982

Pandur1982

Really... I have read the old Version will close no more Button for Shop on old store. The New store Version is laggy and Looks more epic store Design. The search is horribel and you find not all on that version as on the old store. I hate the New store Version and is not step in the future... Better you close Version 2

50. Distant_Temples

Distant_Temples

90 % of the time pages on the new site do not fully load. The images show up but nothing works when you click on it.

KarlGG, JBR-games and joshcamas like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.