Search Unity

Asset Store version 1 is closing

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Rowlan, Apr 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeromeWork

jeromeWork

Noooooooooo... Please Unity, don't force a bodged web design on your users.

My biggest gripe is that all of my asset tags haven't properly carried over to the new version, with thousands of assets it's a nightmare having to re do it all... Not to mention that page loads are so much slower on the new version.

Ony likes this.
  2. KarlGG

KarlGG

Listening, maybe. Doing anything, not noticeably.

StevenPicard and JBR-games like this.
  3. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

Looks like I will save a lot of money from now on… :rolleyes:

Screen Shot 2019-04-06 at 10.11.01 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-04-06 at 10.10.18 AM.png

This is what I see when I use the new store. The page never finishes loading. :mad:

transat, Ony, Kronnect and 4 others like this.
  4. dibdab

dibdab

but is it even possible to search on v2 by asset type?

ah, okay. if you go through the categories page you can find the animations, but still can't filter by newest (which I miss the most)

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
    Ony and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  5. malkere

malkere

Is the new store better?

1. Yes
      9 vote(s)
      6.7%
    2. *
      No
      125 vote(s)
      93.3%
    That pretty much sums it up doesn't it? Small sample, but huge margin. Nobody from Unity cares to respond here? We're just going to have to deal it with?

Ony, Gekigengar, tcmeric and 4 others like this.
  6. hopeful

hopeful

Oh, good point! As I recall, the last many times - over a period of several months - I tried to buy items off the new store it refused to let me.

Looks like I'll be saving money as well! ;)

Ony, JBR-games and wetcircuit like this.
  7. KarlGG

KarlGG

I had problems checking out, not (usually) on the store page. Those were apparently caused by privacy settings, including some that Firefox uses by default now. When I pointed that out during a complaint, it got fixed in a week or so. After a year or more of complaints on the forum, they said "we didn't know."

hopeful likes this.
  8. hopeful

hopeful

That fits with my impression: we complain, but somehow they don't know about it.

JBR-games likes this.
  9. Miwang

Miwang

Unity Technologies

Can you tell me how to replicate it?

10. Rowlan

Rowlan

Do you mean you don't get this? That's odd, I get it regularly. Usually when I try to download and install a new asset I purchased, i. e. one that isn't stored on the local file system yet.

transat and Ony like this.
  11. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

I have had this problem too on mac, high sierra and unity 2018.3

best thing is to go back the a previous page and go again to the page and then it will download.

I also had many times that in safari and asset store page won't load completely.

In chrome I never had this problem.

same for mobile safari. there are sometimes problems there.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    transat likes this.
  12. daisySa

daisySa

On the old store, I can see which assets have new versions by selecting Status > Update. I can't do that on the new store because they've removed the Status option.

How can I see what assets need to be updated? Surely this is a massive issue for everyone?

Ony, tcmeric, XCPU and 1 other person like this.
  13. Player7

Player7

Everytime i goto the asset store, it loads the old one (and you can visually see it loading) then it refreshes and starts loading the new one... every time..

I still prefer the old one for many reasons probably stated most of them in an old thread, and guess I thought they'd actually improved v2.... they haven't.. now they want to remove v1..... this is like the lithium forum move all over again..

they need to make a v3 with all the best of v1 and v2.

14. attensi-unity-administrator

attensi-unity-administrator

Considering what a giant cash cow the Asset store is for Unity, it is strange that they are so unwilling to invest in it... :(

15. wetcircuit

wetcircuit

Current version of Safari. It happens often enough to make the new store unusable – approximately 20-40% will fail.

From the Asset Store search results I've right-clicked 6 items I am interested in learning more about. Of the 6 new tabs, 2 have failed. Refreshing the page does not help. Copy/pasting the URL into a new tab will sometimes load the page (at about the same success rate).

Screen Shot 2019-04-08 at 7.27.01 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-04-08 at 7.27.08 AM.png

transat, Jaimi, JBR-games and 2 others like this.
  16. JBR-games

JBR-games

Wow.. atleast someone from unity responded.. So @Miwang are you saying that the new version of Asset Store is 100% better than the old store. Why is there no mobile zoom ? I own over 1000 assets why is the sorting so bad ?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    malkere and StevenPicard like this.
  17. Miwang

Miwang

Unity Technologies

• Download & Import issue using Asset Store Version 2
    1. We found this actually happening in Editor 17.2 and 5.6, This can be solved by reloading the page in Editor today and we’re solving this in this week so it doesn’t need to require to reload.
    • Price always loading issue
    1. It happens occasionally to first time open the asset store or cleaned the browser cache then open the asset store. We have made a fix to production today.

We do care about our users and taking your feedback seriously.

malkere, Mauri, Rowlan and 2 others like this.
  18. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Thanks for the update!

And what about adding a button show all my assets? without pages, just all on one page.

I really need this because I have more than 1000 assets and I cannot press next every time 20 times,
    I don't mind if its a bit slower to show all.

malkere, ikazrima, RoyS and 1 other person like this.
  19. konsic

konsic

How can I import from asset store without Unity hub?

20. sxa

sxa

So I thought I'd check how the two store versions were actually behaving under my 'license manager' account, where I have a minimal set of assets downloaded.

This is what I see in the old store, sorted by status. All nice and convenient. old store.JPG

and the individual page for that asset concurs that its there to be updated.
    new store page.JPG
    Except somehow or other, the new asset store list doesnt actually think I have this anywhere on my system to update: new store my purchases.JPG
    new store my downloads.JPG

Various other assets not due for update are also missing from 'My Purchased' and 'My Downloads'. Of about 15, only half show up.

Now, my actual account has a large number of assets on it, but its already clear the v2 store is not guaranteed to know which assets I own, so I guess I have to wonder how I'm now supposed to actually manage updating them without the V1 store?

malkere and TeagansDad like this.
  21. jcarpay

jcarpay

Great, so this means version 1 won't be closed?

Ony, Gekigengar, roxIndie and 7 others like this.
  22. RoyS

RoyS

Let's just keep version 1.

Ony, Gekigengar, konsic and 9 others like this.
  23. Jaimi

Jaimi

With the version 2 store, you can't access your previously purchased items without an active, and FAST, internet connection.
    With the version 2 store, even if you have an active and fast internet connection, it locks up my computer for 10-20 minutes while attempting to "figure out" what I've purchased.

It's painful, Unity. Very Painful.

transat, Ony, Whippets and 7 others like this.
  24. Metron

Metron

Worst decision ever. Unity didn't listen to users since V2 made its appearance and now they ditch v1... And announce a beta of v2.5 (?) with... hold your breath... a super improved search function. W T F...

Ony, Gekigengar, JBR-games and 2 others like this.
  25. roxIndie

roxIndie

That's a bold claim, considering the history of of how you introduced the v2 store, and the feedback you got...

Gekigengar, JBR-games and tcmeric like this.
  26. christougher

christougher

"Yes! I'm so glad they're getting rid of UAS v1"
    ---Noah Nevr

hopeful, StevenPicard and TeagansDad like this.
  27. christougher

christougher

But really, how do you even see your UAS notifications on mobile browser on v2?

28. sxa

sxa

In V2, I effectively get a complete lockup of the entire Unity UI for 30-60 seconds every time I open my plugin list in the store, or change the 'search' field, or change the search category. Cant even resize the Unity window. Half the time the scrollbars stay unresponsive for longer still, and all the time there's a random chance the whole asset list gets highlighted 'text selection blue' any time I click anywhere.

V1 can be unresponsive for 30-60 seconds the first time I open it, but it doesnt reoccur, and doesnt lockup the entire Unity UI. Scrollbars work, no swathes of blue.

Ony, ikazrima, Jaimi and 2 others like this.
  29. tcmeric

tcmeric

I agree on both accounts. Both load pretty darn slow in the editor, but V2 is horrible.

Gekigengar and JBR-games like this.
  30. Teila

Teila

Oh Unity, not again. Anyone remember the old NEW forums?

This time we had little notice. So...I have wish list stuff on the old asset store version that are not on the new store version. Since we leave for vacation very soon, I have no time to move those before the old store closes. Could you not have given us a little more notice??

I have fast internet as we live near the NYC hub. Yet, for months at a time I cannot buy stuff using the new store. It will just spin. I can only buy during those times from the old store. Then it is all fine for a while...and suddenly the spin again. I buy when I need stuff, so my wish list is important and being able to purchase when I need it, not when the store happens to be working is important. Good thing is I have purchased less during those times....and then I forget what I needed or get it elsewhere on on developer websites. Sometimes though, it is stuff I need to work with a client. Then it would be bad because I will be unable to meet expected timelines.

Other issues with the store:
    It is created to sell popular asset store items first and those made by popular/best selling asset store developers. These are often the more expensive assets, which is not a problem, but unfortunately, the new hidden gems are missing.

The NEW page rarely changes, unlike the old which you can see quickly and changes every day/week. New stuff is released and easily missed. This causes new asset developers to never even have a chance to get to that popular page. Plus we miss good stuff.

If I want a barrel prop and I search in the new store, I get every single package that might contain one barrel, not just an asset with a barrel or two. This happens even if I narrow to props. I even get stuff that has nothing to do with barrels. Type in tree and you get stuff that has not relationship to trees. Maybe a skill tree? lol

Sometimes the store crawls and it takes a while to allow you to download an already purchased item. At times, I wonder if I actually own the asset...so go to old store and sure enough I do.

Now..all of this could be fixed in the new store. But..how long has it been up? We have asked for better search options. The ones we have on the new store are terrible and very confusing for folks new to Unity. The old store is clear and easy. No reason that old store wishlist items could not also show on the new store. That was a great deal of time to make that work. The loading issues, inability to get to the payment screen, and many others could have been fixed.

So...this will affect many of us, but most of all the creative folks, the asset developers who make items to sell to us. Many have already left and are publishing on other sites now or for other engines. We will never get them back. It would be sad if losing the old store causes loss of sales and more leave.

As for those of us hoping to publish someday, we will languish among the many small developers who will rarely be seen on the front page. The old store at least gave new developers, or those who are publishing new packages to be seen.

More and more will go to their own website stores, which are easy to build now and then we will really lose them.

KarlGG, Ony, Whippets and 8 others like this.
  31. Deleted User

Deleted User

i must admit that I don't have these sort of problems whatever the version: in editor connection is not too slow; downloading an asset, importing the asset content, are as fast as possible, according to the size of the asset. I just don't like version 2. The only thing I appreciate is the new search system and I don't say about reliability but the suggestion system is not a bad thing.
    As to why I don't like version 2, a fast comparison, no need for many words, images talk by themselves; here the same page on both versions.

Capture.JPG

Capture_2.JPG

32. Teila

Teila

Excellent example. It reminds me how much I hate that vertical row of pictures next to the artwork on the new store. I find it sometimes difficult to scroll down to look at more pictures and often, the pictures are cutoff in the quick look version. The side scroller is much easier and nicer on my old hands. But then....accessibility was horrible on the old NEW forums and they also on the NEW asset store. lol They need to hire some folks to look at the needs of their users.

transat, KarlGG, Ony and 7 others like this.
  33. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

This is one of many reasons why I think even the format of the new store is a step backwards.

KarlGG, Ony, hopeful and 3 others like this.
  34. MrG

MrG

1) All this is missing from the new store favorites page in portrait width:
    upload_2019-4-10_10-31-12.png
    New store has no sorting in portrait width
    upload_2019-4-10_10-42-25.png

2) Favorites goes to a single column in portrait width, while old store is two columns.

3) New store is missing icons in portrait width
    upload_2019-4-10_10-32-50.png
    Make the window a little wider and I get these
    upload_2019-4-10_10-35-44.png

4) Ugly truncation in new store
    upload_2019-4-10_10-36-35.png

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  35. Teila

Teila

Odd that a tool that makes it easy for us to build our games for different screen sizes and resolutions is now forcing us to use a website store that cannot handle different screen sizes and resolutions. :rolleyes:

KarlGG, Ony, hopeful and 8 others like this.
  36. MrG

MrG

Where are the scroll bars? No, I don't mean those ridiculous click-fest arrows either...I mean an actual scrollbar!

upload_2019-4-10_10-57-21.png

Edit - I suppose I shouldn't be surprised about a missing scrollbar. Hierarchy panel in Unity doesn't have them either (been asking for horizontal scroll for years).

hopeful, Gekigengar, Teila and 6 others like this.
  37. Teila

Teila

In spite of all the complaints, it looks like only two pages of people who do not want the store to close. Nothing compared to the old NEW forums. So some constructive criticism....

Most of us could live with the new forums if they fix the problems. Fix the lag, the inability to sometimes actually pay for stuff, spinning when using paypal, etc., and please make a more intelligent search. Add all the categories you had in the old version so we can narrow it down faster. And keep up with the NEW page. Put all new stuff on there daily, not just new stuff that cost a lot or comes from well known developers. Give all new developers a chance to have one day of visibility.

And seriously, in the day of mobile phones and tablets, make it so that the Store fits on smaller screens. You do not want to lose those impulse sales. I have had so many experiences at meetings when I mention an asset I like, the person whips out their phone and buys it on the spot.

Let us somehow download/print our old faves if that is possible. Some of the stuff in mine is little props and will be impossible to find again.

None of the complaints are new and with fixes I think it would be okay. I do use the new Asset store now more than the old and I imagine many of us do as links go to there and it gets old having to push that button all the time. And the store has gotten better. Lag is less, I can pay more often now without having to get out my ipad.

KarlGG, TeagansDad and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  38. chingwa

chingwa

I wish I had archived that new forum feedback thread... it was glorious. I would go back and read it like a retiree reliving the days of youth. :D

Ony and Teila like this.
  39. AndrewAssetStore

AndrewAssetStore

Unity Technologies

Hi everyone!

Let me provide a little context and hopefully details that help. :)

As many of you cited there a number of serious UX issues with the latest Asset Store. We have released a large amount fixes over the last year but we decided in order to really meet your (and our) expectations we needed to rebuild it.

Over the coming months we will be completely overhauling the Asset Store and address the major issues and feedback we have received since its release, starting with the home page and search.

We are currently sharing a BETA internally, and to a handful of Asset Store Publishers. Our plan is to collect feedback, address it and then open this up to the public in a few weeks.

Next week, we’ll be giving you a first glimpse at what you can expect from the future of the Asset Store. We’ve been listening to your feedback, and our priorities with this update are to address the following:
    • Homepage design
    • Improved filtering and bringing that back to Home page
    • Search performance and relevance including typo tolerance, plurals recognition and synonyms
    • Clearer navigation
    • Responsiveness across devices
    • Category pages enhancements
    • “My Assets” page enhancements for large libraries
    We know there are features of the earlier iterations of the Asset Store that you loved. As long time active users of the store ourselves, we’re excited to say we’re bringing back some design and functionality from those earlier iterations. I’ve personally been using our new homepage to help find new assets to feature and I’ve found it to be a faster, more fluid experience. I’m looking forward to hearing what you think about it.

We look forward to sharing that with you. The team is poised to take in feedback and iterate throughout the BETA period and beyond. The new page has a feedback button which we hope you all use :)

Thanks!

Whippets, Circool, Gekigengar and 9 others like this.
  40. Jaimi

Jaimi

Please don't forget the ability to see and import our purchased assets when we have slow or no connectivity!

Currently, you just get an error message. No "offline import" or anything.

Whippets, Teila, TeagansDad and 2 others like this.
  41. Teila

Teila

Thank you, Andrew! Looking forward to seeing the new store. :) I already spend so much time there anyway. lol

Gekigengar, Buhlaine and S4G4N like this.
  42. MrIconic

MrIconic

Did you make it so that on an asset's page the latest update date and build versions are visible without having to open additional panels. Just wondering since personally every time I look at an asset I look at that first. When it's hidden for no reason it's a sore spot in v2 for me.

43. chingwa

chingwa

I've said it before but I'll say it again, any plan that does not include a redesign and rethink of how asset images are previewed is an incomplete plan. I understand there are many points of approach to improving the store, but it is my humble opinion that the preview / image carousel is of maximum priority. It needs to be as easy to use as possible and display as clear information as possible to the customer about the assets they are interested in buying.

KarlGG, Ony, hopeful and 8 others like this.
  44. Teila

Teila

Yes please. As a customer, I find that row of pictures on the side way too tiny and some of them get cut off. The old store style where you could pick a picture and the scroll through was great. Maybe I need new glasses or something but honestly, we are all looking at these pictures through different lenses and they need to be easy to see. The +21 is a pain, you know? lol I only look at those if I decided I may want to buy this. But what if one of those +21 was the one picture that showed exactly what I wanted?? I bought an entire pack of props once because I saw one thing in a video that I wanted. :)

KarlGG, Ony, hopeful and 4 others like this.
  45. christougher

christougher

Hi @Teila . The wishlist is actually carried forward. There are heart icons on the main graphic picture. If you go to "my lists" and click on favorites all your wishlist will be there. I can add and delete from either version and it populates the other...

Teila likes this.
  46. sxa

sxa

cant help but think that it would be better to deprecate V2 while 'V3' is being rolled out, not V1.

KarlGG, Ony, hopeful and 4 others like this.
  47. Rowlan

Rowlan

There's 1 missing: imo absolutely highest priority should have the download and import of purchased assets, which doesn't work properly and is always a pain which makes me revert to the old store inside Unity.

KarlGG, hopeful and Jaimi like this.
  48. ikazrima

ikazrima

Great! Please retire v2 instead of v1 :D

As someone mentioned V2 keeps freezing the editor for a number of seconds. Hopefully it's fixed in V3.

Badly in need of the Update All button from V1.

Ony, Jaimi and StevenPicard like this.
  49. syntystudios

syntystudios

V2 editor performance is sub par. It generally runs at 15-20 fps. I think the in-editor performance needs a full overhaul as it's not a great look using Unity 2018 and the Asset Store is jittery (This should be a chance for Unity to outshine Unreal with store performance in editor)

KarlGG, Ony, TeagansDad and 2 others like this.
  50. JBR-games

JBR-games

Your Awesome...
    Unity cant even make their asset store work on mobile resolution ??? :(:(.. Us older folks need to be able to zoom in on an image and text..

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
    KarlGG, hopeful, Teila and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.