Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Asset Store Statistics - May be useful for publishers

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Assets-Reporter, Jul 9, 2015.

1. Assets-Reporter

Assets-Reporter

We analyzed the data publicly available on the asset store, and with some maths and estimations we could have some interesting charts. If you are not sure how to determine the price for your asset, or if you should sell it as small packs or one large pack, those numbers may be useful.
    Formulas are explained but don't hesitate to ask for more details!

Charts:
    • TOP 50 MOST POPULAR ASSETS
    • TOP 25 MOST PROFITABLE ASSETS
    • TOP 25 MOST EXPENSIVE ASSETS
    • REVENUE PER PRICE RANGE
    http://assetsreporter.com/statistics-assets-072015/

2. hopeful

hopeful

Part of the problem with this sort of analysis is that things change over time within the Unity world. NGUI is challenged by the new Unity GUI introduced in 4.6, and now all the once "Pro-only" products are usable by indie users.

If it is possible, what would be better would be to see what has been popular since Unity 5 dropped, excluding free items.

theANMATOR2b and Assets-Reporter like this.
  3. Assets-Reporter

Assets-Reporter

We took time into consideration, avoiding some "dead" assets from the chart.
    We could also focus on the last few months of data - we will do an updated version based on the feedback we will collect.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  4. Assets-Reporter

Assets-Reporter

We just published a picture for the price range analysis

5. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

not sure where you get your numbers from but luckily for me they're kinda off.

6. Assets-Reporter

Assets-Reporter

Hi Rosor
    Based on the public data on the asset store. It is a snapshot of the 44000 assets. Popularity is based on the number of votes, and revenue is based on popularity * unity price.

7. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

hey, yeah I noticed it's based on a formula. I guess it's not super accurate. You mentioned you're looking for a way to improve it. On my end I really can't help... Not smart enough to put anything any better on the table... :(
    What you call votes are reviews right? Or Am I missing something?

8. Assets-Reporter

Assets-Reporter

1. You are right this is not totally accurate, because we would need to have an access to Unity databases.

2. However this is accurate enough to compare values each other. We can say this asset is selling more than this one.

3. This chart just confirm what Unity Technologies repeat and repeat: cheap assets are not the best sellers. In other words, people don't want cheap assets...

Our take: Price is part of the marketing. If you set low price, people will think it is low cost asset, not this is a great asset at low price. They generally want solid, bug free assets and are OK to pay for the value. They understand the work behind. They have no time for small, cheap, unprofessional assets. They are looking for the best of the best.

Why we published this chart? Few sellers asked us: should I sell $5 or $10?
    We try to demonstrate that both are probably bad prices. If you want to make revenue and feel your asset value is lower than $30, spend more time on it to increase the value of your asset.

9. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

Maybe, but my asset didn't make your top 25 most profitable list and last months sales would have put me easily in your top 10, and my average sales would keep me in your top 10 to 15. And depending on the month there are 1 to 3 other assets in the /scripting/input-output section alone that gross more than mine which would lead me to believe that metric is wildly inaccurate.

Different types of assets are likely to get different kinds of reviews and some categories will get more reviews than others so it's a very very loose metric to use and unfortunately the only thing that's really available to you (that and following the trends of the top grossing / top selling segments).

Assets-Reporter likes this.
  10. Assets-Reporter

Assets-Reporter

Good input.
    What we have today help us to get a general idea and we will release stats based on categories.
    For data based on time: we need to build our own data by following the progression before we can focus on a specific period of time. Currently have to do with a snapshot with no monthly or yearly data, just totals.

11. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

I agree with @Dustin Horne as well. I would think that for now as you said you have to base it on only public metrics that you know of like the votes you mention. While in general "votes" probably has a decent correlation I would think popularity time % for the month would be a much more accurate metric (assuming you can't convince Unity to share any private data). I can definitely say that in my experience monitoring my own asset that the time frame that Unity uses for their popularity rankings is quite short if you don't have any sales you will drop fast. If you calculated an average popularity ranking it would be much more accurate data.

Dustin-Horne and Assets-Reporter like this.
  12. Kronnect

Kronnect

Thanks for sharing this @Assets Reporter !
    It's a pity you have to close btw!