Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Asset Store site upgrade

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by JanisAssetStore, Apr 29, 2019.

1. hopeful

hopeful

Just thought I'd mention that in the current sale I had many opportunities to use the new "expand image" feature in the store. I was amused (?) to note that one developer submitted screen shots of his models taken from the Unity editor, but with the models visible in a tiny scene view, so when I expanded the image the actual view of the model was about the same size as the previous tiny pictures. lol

Like this:

JBR-games likes this.
  2. Andreas12345

Andreas12345

I see that some publisher start their own shop sites.
    I think that should give you a sign.
    I cant understand what for an CEO allow this crap since 1 year....
    Its not understandable

3. JBR-games

JBR-games

The updates on the new Asset store have gone a long ways.. I'm not hating it anymore.. and even like many of the new features..

But please do more work on the editor, it's Soo slow still. It's much better than it use to be but still much slower than the old store.. I'd rather have a minute or two upload time at the beginning than a 30 sec+ lag on every page or change in search type.. note I own 1200+ assets and have a lot of assets downloaded 100s..
    Checking what I have downloaded already / need updated , should not lock up the page.

transat likes this.
  4. AGregori

AGregori

Dear admins, please consider bringing back a small feature of the old Asset Store: the one that allowed the review writer user to see the like/dislike ratio on their own asset reviews.
    This is clearly a handy feature.

JBR-games and AndrewAssetStore like this.
  5. Deozaan

Deozaan

I can't even use the asset store anymore in my browser most of the time. It eats up my CPU and RAM and makes the tab unresponsive until either the browser kills the tab or I kill it manually. Either way, it never recovers or finishes whatever it's trying to do before it dies.

If I'm lucky I can scroll down to the bottom of the page and click the link to go to v1 before things break, but it often takes 2-3 tries or more before I succeed or just give up in frustration.

The asset store v2 website has got to be one of the worst and longest running mistakes I've seen from Unity.

The v1 asset store was not only superior in nearly every way, it was actually functional. The only good thing about v2 is all the money I've saved now that I don't/can't use the asset store anymore.

6. AGregori

AGregori

@Deozaan I hear you, I also got used to v1 store's workflow over 5+ years. Its search feature was antiquated however, that's where v2 wins.
    User reviews seem to be buried in v2, they were more conspicuous in v1, and these reviews are crucial.

7. Deozaan

Deozaan

Maybe v2 gives better results than v1 search did. I don't know. The tab won't last long enough for me to search for anything from the browser before becoming unresponsive. And if I try it from within the editor it locks up the editor for several seconds for each character I type in the search bar.

So, in my experience, attempting to search for anything in v2 of the asset store is either extremely frustrating at best or completely fruitless at worst.

I literally can't use v2 in my browser. Which means my alternative is to try to click the link to go to v1 before the tab becomes unresponsive. Either that or I have to use v2 from the editor, which is an awful, sluggish, frustrating experience. Or the third alternative: don't use the asset store at all anymore.

AGregori and Andreas12345 like this.
  8. Jes28

Jes28

Dont account that searching is better now. Always use Goggle to search on any site and it better than any internal site search.

site:assetstore.unity.com [search request]

9. SandboxRuckus

SandboxRuckus

Well there goes the Planet, the link to revert back to version 1 of the asset store has been removed. I am Not looking forward to this change!

10. hopeful

hopeful

They removed the old asset store without first enabling the new store to find invoice numbers for purchased assets. We often need to have the invoice numbers to prove ownership so we can get support.

I've mentioned the need to fix this multiple times in this thread. The old asset store did it right, the new one does not.

AGregori likes this.
  11. chingwa

chingwa

You can find invoice numbers by click on your account icon and going to "my orders".

AndrewAssetStore likes this.
  12. SandboxRuckus

SandboxRuckus

How do I make the Asset Icons smaller so more fit per page? I now have 6 pages of favorites instead of 3 pages. Why all the unnecessary Clicking to see the same amount of info Unity Store Dev's, Why?

JBR-games likes this.
  13. hopeful

hopeful

Well ... unless I'm overlooking an asset "search" button somewhere, you can't go to My Orders and look up an item you purchased unless you happen to know the date of purchase. The table displayed there is ordered by date, and asset names are hidden.

Actually - and I just realized this - you CAN find the invoice number by going to the store page for the asset and clicking on the "View Order Details" link by the purchase date at the top.

Off to the right, in tiny letters, is a link to "View Invoice."

So ... you can get the invoice number by going to the store page for the asset and clicking on two links.

I'm fine with that. I just need to remember it. :)

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
    AndrewAssetStore and JBR-games like this.
  14. AGregori

AGregori

Dear @AndrewAssetStore, thank you for re-enabling the visible like/dislike ratio on the reviews on such short notice.
    BTW many of us loved how the user reviews were so in-your-face on the old store. In comparison, they're now buried under the Reviews tab. Please consider merging the old & new approaches somehow. It doesn't have to be as elaborate as on Amazon.com, but a more visible Reviews drawer would be super helpful.

mgear likes this.
  15. AndrewAssetStore

AndrewAssetStore

Unity Technologies

Hi! Always happy to get positive feedback :D

For the reviews tab, I do hear your point. Our latest page iteration showed an increase in positive interactions. We will continue to test new ideas and such.

16. WaveCave

WaveCave

Great job on the new interface for asset page!

Much more convenient to see screenshots, and much more obvious to see the details.

However, I don't like the new package content system. If you select a file to view at the bottom, the preview just stay at the top and won't follow down, like this:

c.png

Also you can't see the disagreement of the review now.

So please, fix these problem as soon as possible. Hope I got a good answer and result :)

AndrewAssetStore likes this.
  17. PolytopeStudio

PolytopeStudio

It's working for you? For me it's just the up-votes now

18. AGregori

AGregori

Upvotes only, it seems, and in tiny letters too.

@AndrewAssetStore, please consider including the downvotes as well, it was also a helpful part of the feature. Thanks.

19. AndroYD

AndroYD

The mobile site is broken, the "sort by" feature cannot sort your favorites only, but only all assets from the entire store.
    This doesn't happen while on the desktop site, too bad someone thought it was a good idea to give only mobile versions even when you explicitly tell your mobile browser that you only want the desktop version of the site, even at full hd resolution in landscape mode.
    Please fix this, I can't buy anything while I'm on mobile because of this, it's really frustrating.

AGregori and JBR-games like this.
  20. JBR-games

JBR-games

ive bewn complaining about the mobile version for quite some time now.. it has been getting somewhat better. but apparently no one buys from their phones.. other than me and you..;)o_O

21. AGregori

AGregori

@AndrewAssetStore OK so what's up with the store layout now? Reviews are completely obfuscated behind a tab and the page only shows the developer's own blurb -- so even badly reviewed assets seem like good choices to buy.
    This is good for business, but deeply consumer-unfriendly.

22. AndrewAssetStore

AndrewAssetStore

Unity Technologies

I will kindly disagree with you on this one. The average review is clear right by the price and "buy now" button.
    Screen Shot 2020-01-28 at 9.15.48 AM.png
    And clicking the "31 Reviews", or the "Reviews" tab link, will now show a breakdown of the reviews, which I think makes it easier than ever to get an overview of other users sentiments.

Screen Shot 2020-01-28 at 9.15.57 AM.png

Rowlan likes this.
  23. Rowlan

Rowlan

Is rating not possible anymore from inside Unity? I can't find the option anymore.

24. transat

transat

The in-editor asset store is gone from 2020.1 so I doubt that will be changed.

25. Rowlan

Rowlan

Then how do you rate an asset? Only by review?

26. JBR-games

JBR-games

how does one import assets, if the in editor asset store is gone ?

27. transat

transat

Via the package manager. But the package manager doesn’t tell you if any of your asset-store packages need updating. It does tell you if any of the assets which you’ve already downloaded in your local asset-store folder (not your project!) have an update available. Though the version numbers don’t always match up with the online store. And there was a bug that went for about a month that prevented the package manager from updating the list of packages. Also, you can’t see the release notes for asset releases. And until the latest version there was no way of ordering your assets by the date the asset was updated in the store. And if you want to look at any photo or video from the description, you get sent to the online store.

Plus it’s slow as hell. And the browsable list can only be loaded x items at a time (and doesn’t stay in memory) so it takes ages to sift through what you own.

All of the above mostly works for Unity’s packages though. But I don’t think they could afford an extra staff member to check that “My assets” section works. It’s still buggy as hell and there is no sign from UT that they are taking these things seriously, from the conversations I’ve had with them.

JBR-games likes this.
  28. JBR-games

JBR-games

thats not good... just when they finally got the new store usable they find another way to completely f it up again... hopefully someone with common sense and some pull there can get it figured before its released..

hopeful likes this.
  29. Rowlan

Rowlan

@AndrewAssetStore Found a bug on the store, it seems that the information whether a reviewer was gifted an asset or not is gone again.

JBR-games likes this.
  30. nasos_333

nasos_333

Correct ordering

Wrong ordering

There is a new bug where ordering of assets is randomly changing on each page reload.

I post an example with the correct and wrong ordering of assets, those are just after a reload of the page.

JBR-games likes this.
  31. NewGame_Studio

NewGame_Studio

Hi,

I'm found the bug in Asset Store.

If you try to find assets in sales then outputs assets which discount no longer available. Снимок экрана (37).png Снимок экрана (38).png

32. sxa

sxa

The list of stuff on sale has changed, so the individual asset price had gone back to normal; I suspect that your browser may have been displaying a cached or outdated version of the 'on sale only' page.

33. WaveCave

WaveCave

Dear Unity Team,

Please add saving "sort by" feature, so we can quickly find the wanted asset without changing this again.

Thanks. a.png

34. JBR-games

JBR-games

i realized there is no sorting with liked items ?
    edit.. apparently this is only on mobile.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
  35. Rowlan

Rowlan

The price filter is broken. When you drag the sliders to 0, i. e. find all free assets, the store page doesn't get updated.

JBR-games likes this.
  36. nomax5

nomax5

Is it possible that the new Asset store is so bad on purpose?
    has a competitor got a mole in there trying to ruin Unity?
    I'm a web developer, and this is Bad, by design I think.

It is almost unsuable and I am finding more and more Unity Assets "off site" on gum road and the developers own sites.
    I've spent about £1,800 over the years since 2014
    I can't use the new site it's so bad
    my last three purchases have been offsite not on the Unity asset store
    I'm just not discovering assets anymore.

Perhaps Unity can give us a REST API into the db and then someone compitent can develop a store site.
    it would take me about a weekend FFS

I hate Unreal with a vengence and the company that owns it.
    But Unreal Marketplace site works, Unity asset store is Struggling TBH

Sorry to be so brutal but I feel this issue is Crucial to Unity going forward
    Also the Version 1 site has just stopped working which is like the end for me.

I feel the distain users have for the new site is not going high enough up the food chain in Unity.

JBR-games likes this.
  37. Antypodish

Antypodish

That is long time circling theory. At least Unity does not deny it.
    And other things as well.

38. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

maybe this has come up but thought I'd point out that I can not use the keyboard arrow keys while typing a review since it is caught by some underlying system on page. This is super annoying. On latest Firefox.

39. WaveCave

WaveCave

It is not broken.

Be sure tap the > button at the right of the text area to get the page update. I try it today and works.

before.png after.png

Rowlan likes this.
  40. eric_delappe

eric_delappe

The "recently updated" sorting option sometimes shows assets which... haven't been recently updated.

For example, today a bunch of NatureManufacture assets popped up at the top of the list, even though they haven't received an update in many months, as you can see in this screenshot.

JBR-games and Rowlan like this.
  41. Rowlan

Rowlan

I noticed an asset might also get flagged as "updated" when only the description changes.

42. AndrewAssetStore

AndrewAssetStore

Unity Technologies

I believe that is what is happening here.

Thanks for the report!

Rowlan likes this.
  43. nomax5

nomax5

There are no links from the asset store to these forums anymore I have some assets which I KNOW had links to the unity forums in the old asset store and now they don't.
    A Basic Fundamental extremely important thing like that over looked? missed out on purpose?
    It doesn't surprise me in the least. the people who developed the new asset store couldn't develop a temperature in my opinion.

JBR-games likes this.
  44. TonyLi

TonyLi

Maybe the publishers took down the links or need to update them. Links in asset descriptions still work. Take a look at the Dialogue System for Unity, for example. The description links to its Unity forum thread.

45. nomax5

nomax5

You are right TonyLi point taken

Still it is such an important part of the Support which is a major imput into the 5 star rating system that is should be a mandatory link.

The quality of asset support is obviously a big factor when rating a product, it is good pactice when buying an asset to check it wasn't abandoned 3 years ago and it's working with the version of unity you are using.

If there is no forum or support is hidden away on a Discord channel (like many dodgy asset devs do), you can't guage the level of support the Asset is recieving.
    There are Tons of Great and wonderful assets on the unity Asset store, it's a wonderful thing, it's what makes unity special.
    But there is also a ton of outdated, over priced, under supported, crap on there too, for a newcommer to Unity it can be a bit of an expensive minefield.

I have your Love/Hate Asset BTW Never tried it but I update it and read all the update notes, Can't wait till I get to the point in my development where I can start using it.

TonyLi likes this.
  46. TonyLi

TonyLi

Thanks for buying Love/Hate! An update is coming out next week. When you get around to using it, if you have any questions just let me know. The README file has multiple contact methods (email, web form, forum, and discord).

Regarding links, there is currently an issue on Unity's side with older links that use assetstore.unity3d.com instead of assetstore.unity.com. Hopefully they'll be able to resolve it soon.

47. nomax5

nomax5

I wish they would release a Rest API for the asset store, then I could do my own asset store version. I'd be tempted to put inside Unity in a 3D mall - Multiplayer .... ;-)

JBR-games likes this.
  48. WaveCave

WaveCave

Yeah I tried it last week and is really works. But this link is unavailable now.

49. JBR-games

JBR-games

Is the review system broken ? ive literally reviewed certain assets several times and the review never posts.. they were not good reviews but i didnt feel they were overally mean or untruthful... 3/5

but apparently Unity doesnt allow bad reviews when its their pet devs ...??

50. AndrewAssetStore

AndrewAssetStore

Unity Technologies

Feel free to send me a private message with more details. As many publishers have discovered, we are very strict around removing reviews, but there are specific reasons that we would remove a review if it's reported.

unityunity