Search Unity

Unity Asset Store site upgrade

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by JanisAssetStore, Apr 29, 2019.

1. Tortyfoo

Tortyfoo

Getting exactly the same issue. Completely locks up Unity for several minutes on start up. Once menu become responsive again if I then just click scroll wheel to move down page locks up Unity again. Wait several minutes and if lucky menus become responsive again but page has not moved. Try to scroll down again and same issue completely locking up Unity yet again.

Whilst never liked new v2 of store now it renders Unity useless as can't scroll down to even click on revert to old store. Only solution is do a force exit via Task Manager. Just tried to see if Unity working whilst been writing this message and still locked up and haven't tried to do anything for 10 minutes.

2. transat

transat

To keep things constructive, I think we should share our preferred workflow tips for the benefit of new users. Please chip in if you have your own awesome workflows! Here are two of mine:

PRO TIP 1

As there is no simple way to see what assets in my project need to be re-imported after an update, here is my suggested workflow for people who cannot use the in-editor store's My Assets page without going mad...

1. Go to in-editor store (no other option alas).
    2. Wait 5-10 minutes for the interface to respond. Do not scroll or click anywhere during that time @Tortyfoo !
    3. Click on "Update All"
    4. Check the MacOs/Windows Bin to find out which assets have been updated.
    5. Cross-reference these with assets you know to be in your project.
    6. Go to the web store (not the in-editor store, in case it locks up)
    7. search for the assets one by one and choose to "open in editor"
    8. In the editor-store, click "Update".
    9. In the editor-store, click "Import". If Unity crashes during the import then reopen the app and go back to 6
    10. repeat steps 6-9 for each asset anyway.
    11. Reload the My Assets page (as some assets invariably fail to update) and go back to 3 until you are satisfied that your project is up to date.

Doing things this way can save you anywhere from between 10 minutes to an hour!

PRO TIP 2

And as discussed earlier, here's the "pro" tip to be able to see the latest new and updated assets in the web store, in as few clicks as possible. Note you will have to do this every time as there there are no cookies being used it seems. Also note that I like to see at least 96 assets per page because the year is 2019 and not 1999 and my modem can handle it.

1. Click on the 3D checkbox in the filters. (1 click)
    2. Change the "Sort by" to "Recently Updated" (2 clicks)
    3. Change the "View results" to 96 (2 clicks)
    4. Uncheck the 3D checkbox. (1 click)

Only 6 clicks! That's exactly half the amount it would take if you used the regular way.

@LeonhardP Can we make a sticky thread from some of these tips - for beginners unsure whether they are doing things the right way or unsure whether Unity is the right platform for them? :)

Last edited: May 17, 2019
    Metron and JBR-games like this.
  3. HP

HP

@JanisAssetStore Every time I click on the "My Assets" link I have to wait minutes and it freezes the whole editor.
    It loads 446 of 455 assets without any scrolling just at start or any sort order changes in the editor. On the web page it only loads 100 assets and wait for scrolling and a click on "Show 200 more Assets".
    Is this a known issue?

I also don't like the new behaviour of the jumping asset items of the asset list after download is complete but not imported if the sort order is "Status". Every time I must download and after that scroll down and search for the downloaded asset to import it. I could use the asset search form, but this is very time consuming if I have more assets to download and import and must wait for minutes after remove the search terms to show all assets.

JBR-games likes this.
  4. truefx001

truefx001

Exactly the same issue as @Andreas12345 Asset Store download of purchased assets and imports is laggy as hell,
    it was slow with the old store but this here beats the crap out of everything.
    And same question why the hell do you change a store that worked before with something now horrible laggy, scrolling by itself and when manage to hit the import button so you think it scrolled 10 assets down the line.
    Please reverse back we are losing so much time with our games with this stupid store change.
    I would fire this genius who came up with "Oh lets change the store functions that worked" but do not touch real issues with your engine like the 32 bit resource file limit. And I can echo Andreas as well will not by a single asset before this is not fixed. Remove the image icons if this is slowing down the download make it a simple list with a link for fast display and download, we don't need fancy buttons or a small image telling us what the asset is, name is enough, get rid off the Release Notes as well in editor and have a simple more info link to open up a browser.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
    Andreas12345 likes this.
  5. JBR-games

JBR-games

Note: You can still go to the very bottom right-hand corner of the screen and revert to the old asset store.

6. hopeful

hopeful

One thing I'd like to see the v3 store change is the way pricing is noted. It has always bothered me, and it continues to bother me, how the UAS shows the price for Plus/Pro as the real price.

What they should do is have the actual price in regular ink, and the Plus/Pro price in faded ink, or even better, in something like a blue Plus/Pro box. People will wonder about the lower price, and see that it is for Plus/Pro. So it will serve the purpose of advertising Plus/Pro, and also showing Plus/Pro customers what their price is.

The way it is done right now, the implication is that the regular store customer is going to get the discounted price, and they aren't.

halley, JBR-games and Rowlan like this.
  7. Rowlan

Rowlan

^^ In addition to that it would be nice to have the tax included in the price.

8. JMarcel968

JMarcel968

Unusable and discouragingly slow
    Please bring back the old asset store at least as an Alt, I always stayed away from the new store because it was so painfully slow. Why waist 10 min for the dam asset store to update when you open it, try to scroll and it needs another 10 min to update 4 inches of space on the screen. I kept off the new store hoping it would get fixed since it was still being developed. Now we are left with a crippled asset store that's a complete waist of time, Time = Money and the new asset store makes a good waist of TIME.
    Its so bad that I'll have to do my searching in a browser and if I find something to download I'll click to open it in Unity and go to work, sleep or run errands because its a complete waist of time.
    If I didn't have so much time and money vested into Unity I'd switch to another 3D engine.
    You can ask and say the problem might be hardware or a network connection but I can assure you it isn't, Nothing on my computer runs as slow as the Unity Asset Store.
    Get rid of this crap, bring back the old asset store or make it easier for us to download/manage from a browser, then watch and see how may subscribers actually use the built in store. It's Horrible!

9. hopeful

hopeful

There IS a link to the old store, which is still up as an alternate.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/asset-store-site-upgrade.669670/page-5#post-4557898

10. JMarcel968

JMarcel968

If they reduce the results per page the asset store will speed up.
    Give us a choice to view results 10, 20 or 50 per page not ALL of our assets.

Attached Files:

StefanoCecere likes this.
  11. JMarcel968

JMarcel968

12. hopeful

hopeful

IDK. It kinda seems like if the Unity store devs hide the v1 asset store well enough, they can present their bosses with metrics that show that more people use - and therefore like - the new one ...? ;)

annelisew, JBR-games and chingwa like this.
  13. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

I actually prefer to see all of my assets, just the way they are displayed is slow.

choice is good, so those options would be good. but I need also a choice that is show all that I own.

transat and JBR-games like this.
  14. JBR-games

JBR-games

Exactly... They Appearently dont have the skills to make the V3 asset store actually better, so they are simply hiding the older version. :mad:

15. transat

transat

@petero_unity Your thoughts on the generous user feedback in this thread? :)

16. Rowlan

Rowlan

The asset store shows an asset as updated when the description changes. Would it be possible to flag an asset as updated only when the asset itself got updated, not something on the website?

halley, Akshara and transat like this.
  17. transat

transat

@Rowlan True. Some developers seem to update the description of their assets 10 times during sales (to stay on the home page) while they get all too rare updates the rest of the time. :rolleyes:

Rowlan likes this.
  18. sxa

sxa

Following up on my post of the 7th, it would appear that, out of the blue, V3 seems to have started to acknowledge the full list of assets associated with my account. Unexpected (not seen any UT posts acknowledge it as an issue) but an improvement.

JBR-games likes this.
  19. hopeful

hopeful

I think there have been some incremental improvements, but there's a ways to go.

FWIW, I don't suffer from the horrible lag others are experiencing. My online shopping experiences with v3 are better these days, and I can actually use the store to buy things now, which is an improvement. (I couldn't, before.)

In editor, it's a little clunky searching for things because there's this huge black drop down window that obscures search results, but I often search the store using the browser, find what I'm looking for, and then click to open it in my project.

20. sxa

sxa

Indeed. For example its a total PITA that within Unity, the 'sort by' capability (as well as the less useful search filters*) disappears completely unless the Asset Store window is resized to more than half the width of an HD screen.

(* And why is the Plus/Pro button wasting space in that set of search options? Unity doesnt actually have Plus/Pro -only features, as of 2015 or so, so what on earth is this for? )

21. lawsochi

lawsochi

I think the new store is a bad store. Too much marketing. It is annoying. I do not have to look through all this nonsense, I know what I want, but you slip marketing to me. This is not respect for me as a buyer. Return the link to the old store, please!

nasos_333 likes this.
  22. drcfrx

drcfrx

@petero_unity @JanisAssetStore @AndrewAssetStore

I currently have 2653 assets on the asset store, with "only" about 1200 files locally. Accessing the My Assets page in the Editor takes more than 20 minutes, every time I access this page. So if I check an asset store page, and go back to My Assets, the check happen again and it takes again 20 minutes... So downloading or updating anything is a nightmare. Totally useless at the moment.

As a test I removed all the local files, and now accessing the My asset page inside the editor takes about 2 seconds to refresh and checking the assets. Nothing to check so it goes fast, like in Mozilla outside the Editor. Going through the whole 2500+ list takes about 15-20 seconds which is fine.

So the bottleneck is really the Update check which takes way too long, the more locally saved assets, the longer it takes. So with large amount of assets, it's totally unusable.

I want to emphasize the fact every time you change the focus from the My asset list to somewhere else, like accessing a store page, or simply accessing another tab in the editor, when you go back to the asset list, the check happens again fully with the exact same delay, which takes the cherry. At least there should be some memorization or cache for the session.

I really hope that will be sorted soon, because I rely a lot on bought assets and currently it's making me loose time, which is the exact contrary purpose of the whole thing.

Also I'd like a date for assets file (not description) last update, which I could use directly to check my locally saved assets because the update check doesn't seem reliable, or even better an auto version number added to assets packages. This way there wouldn't be problems.

Regards

23. JBR-games

JBR-games

I mentioned this might be the issue earier in this thread.. Thanks for verifying..

And now weeks go by with no fix or even a mention of up coming updates.. Other than the original post which said a few months ?? Really ?

As a side note i keep trying the "new and improved asset store" and keep find more issues.. The filters and sorting functions dont work on searches or liked asset list.. And thats annoying..

drcfrx and truefx001 like this.
  24. Akshara

Akshara

@JanisAssetStore @AndrewAssetStore @petero_unity
    Last night in 2019.1.4f1 this process would cause the entire Unity Editor to lag, which I hadn't noticed before.

When I open the Asset Store window and navigate to My Assets, once the scanning process starts, if I then click away to the Hierarchy or the Package Manager windows, the mouse freezes and stutters with the same behavior as in the Asset Store window. And if I click on the File menu, there is a long delay before I am able to click on anything or exit Unity - long enough to want to open Task Manager to see if the system is frozen.

This lag appears to only happen if I visit the My Assets tab in the Asset Store window, and then appears to persist until I shut down Unity, though I admittedly haven't waited long enough to see if it ever goes away on its own.

P.S. May we have the option to default sort My Assets by Status, rather than Purchase Date? This would at least remove one complete scanning step when trying to update assets within the new store.

drcfrx likes this.
  25. transat

transat

V2 defaulted to "status" but V3 got rid of that. :rolleyes: And now when you update an asset you purchased months ago, it automatically disappears from the "status" sort order and drops several pages down the normal listing (this didn't happen with V2 if you stayed on that same page)... and so it can now sometime take 20 minutes just to find the updated asset again in order to import it. :rolleyes: I find it hard to believe the store went through any kind of UX design process. And the lack of response from Unity makes me wonder if they have a customer service division either. ;)

JBR-games, StevenPicard and drcfrx like this.
  26. ibps13

ibps13

27. MangeyD

MangeyD

I have been hoping for things to improve but it is still just unusable trying to sort through your purchased assets through the My Assets page in the editor. This needs to be fixed with incredible urgency and not take several more months!!!

28. nasos_333

nasos_333

Yes seems that way, i am switching back to old store every single time, even though takes me more time to do it, it saves me so huge time and frustration after, because new store is so much less efficient in browsing.

In old store i just click on the category in right panel and find my assets instantly, in new store same thing takes so much more time to do that i will avoid it for sure if i can and i hope they never remove this amazing link to old store :)

JBR-games likes this.
  29. chingwa

chingwa

I just tried making a purchase on the V3 store, and couldn't even complete the transaction. Kept getting an error. This has been happening for months, and I thought perhaps the new store would fix it. Nope.

Switched over to Asset Store 1.0 and had absolutely no trouble. Why hasn't this been fixed yet?

Akshara, nasos_333, truefx001 and 2 others like this.
  30. Jaimi

Jaimi

It's almost unusable to import my purchased assets. The store has actually gotten much slower in the past few weeks. Now, I go to my assets, and Unity basically locks up for 10 minutes or so. If I get tired of waiting and switch it out, and then switch back, it seems to reset the timer. This is very hard to use.

My I suggest you PLEASE keep some sort of local database, and store all the information you need about the items in it, so you don't have to search my filesystem, and then talk back and forth to your server? If you're worried about piracy, do the security check when I attempt to import something. Right now, it's nearly impossible to get assets imported.

hopeful, truefx001, JBR-games and 2 others like this.
  31. nasos_333

nasos_333

This was strange from beginning, everyone complain about the new store and nothing happen, it obviously affects sales and users in a HUGE way right now and in the past months, and i wonder why Unity wants less income and bad reputation, is very very strange.

Why not just revert to old store and everything works and everyone be happy (plus is 1000x better experience to browse)

StevenPicard, JBR-games and hopeful like this.
  32. JBR-games

JBR-games

Aapparently we only represent 3% of asset store sales ?? I honestly cant believe that. Well i guess since they hide the old store.. It inflates thier numbers.

33. Akshara

Akshara

My guess is that the new store is a foundational aspect for a near-term project or campaign that Unity are either unable or unwilling to disclose at this time; and that managing assets either through the Package Manager or the Unity Hub is taking longer than expected, which was intended to be either an alternative to or a replacement for doing so through the new store; and which is why the asset management UI of the new store wasn't prioritized or significantly improved for usability, as it is a temporary and/or basic solution. Wild speculation, of course.

JBR-games, nasos_333 and transat like this.
  34. transat

transat

@Akshara I suspect so as well, from what I've seen on other threads. But I'm not really prepared to have to wait a few months before I can import/update assets into my projects again. Some fixes would take one person one day to implement and would save pro users hours of waiting for the screen to respond. The least they could do is tell us "we hear your pain - we too think this is a very big issue and are dedicating resources to this as a priority".

That's all it takes: a little bit of CX to soothe the UX.

nasos_333 and Akshara like this.
  35. nasos_333

nasos_333

I agree, if old store was in front of page when load, would be 97% instead of 3% imo

Btw, i just tried to load the right panel categories this morning and was completly broken for some reason, took ages to do anything, buttons delayed creating confusion, some button checks that is not certain what they do etc etc etc

All i wanted to do is go to the category my sky and grass assets were and seemed like an impossible task.

The new store version is as ready for public consumption as it was when v2.0 was in first versions, which is zero ready, in every way i can think of.

JBR-games likes this.
  36. nasos_333

nasos_333

This is so vastly disappointing what is happening with the store, is also so puzzling why Unity allows this to happen and do nothing about it.

Having so huge issues with every aspect, from buying to using the assets, i would assume at the very least make v1.0 that works default and v3.0 (which is actually version -3.0) a use at your own risk Beta for a few years until is actually working.

Even better of course would be to scrap v3.0 altogether, as the browsing experience is terrible by icon sizes alone.

truefx001, JBR-games and Akshara like this.
  37. Akshara

Akshara

This is interesting, as I've actually been experiencing the opposite, where the old store won't allow me to choose a payment method during the purchase process, forcing me to instead purchase through the new store, which does process the transaction. I just thought that it was part of the migration to the new store.

A bigger problem for me however is that with the old store, when payment processing was working, if I chose PayPal then I could select the payment method that I wanted to use. With the new store PayPal transactions default to the pre-approved subscription payment method, which already caused me to make a purchase with the wrong payment method, not realizing that I wouldn't be allowed to select a method before checkout. So to use a different payment method requires changing the preapproved method in PayPal before making the purchase. While not difficult, it is not as efficient as selecting a payment method before checkout, as it was before.

This whole thing is super frustrating - and it is discouraging how Unity appears to be tone deaf to everyone's concerns.

Last edited: May 28, 2019
    chingwa and JBR-games like this.
  38. JBR-games

JBR-games

This actually makes sense, especially with a several month time line. One can only hope this temporary.. But then again we are going on 2 years of dealing with crap as asset store.. :(

39. JanisAssetStore

JanisAssetStore

Unity Technologies

Thanks for all of your feedback. We really appreciate your feedback, and we are reviewing the feedback that is being submitted on the Asset Store as well as on the forums.

Improving the performance (and the UI) on the "My Assets" is definitely a priority for us and we are working on it currently.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, we are working on more improvements as well, and will release those continuously and will also keep you updated.

40. mgear

mgear

can you please add regular scroll bar also? (for both in editor and in browser..)
    upload_2019-5-28_19-42-46.png

JBR-games, hopeful and chingwa like this.
  41. Baronmarcus

Baronmarcus

Thank you JanisAssetStore for checking in, and the update.
    It is important to hear that the performance of the "My Assets" section in the Unity Editor is a priority for your team.

It is how we get to our purchased assets - so it is important not only to developers, but also to the intensive to purchase products from the Unity Asset store - i.e. the Unity corporation's bottom line.

Again, thank you for checking in - please continue to post your progress here, it is much appreciated.

transat and JBR-games like this.
  42. JanisAssetStore

JanisAssetStore

Unity Technologies

In parallel with working on the My Assets page, we are working on other improvements as well, as mentioned above.

One of the features, which many of you have been asking for is a more condensed view, when looking at search results. So, we have just released a little feature, which allows you to change between different views, which we hope you like:

list-view.gif

annelisew, nasos_333, Akshara and 4 others like this.
  43. lawsochi

lawsochi

Thank you for your response to our requests! If possible, please return the opportunity to use the familiar search logic in the new store.
    upload_2019-5-29_22-19-37.png

This is convenient, and everyone is used to it, why force us to receive negative emotions, just add new features, do not rule out the usual ones ... Thank you.

Attached Files:

VIC20, JBR-games and mgear like this.
  44. transat

transat

@JanisAssetStore 2 tiny changes would ease some pain:
    - setting the default sort in the asset store in My Assets to “status”
    - having a one click way to see ALL "recently updated" assets in the web store (currently this is possible only when viewing on a tablet).

45. transat

transat

Another free UX tip. ;) Avoid repeating information unnecessarily...

eg. Less clutter + more visible assets + 2-3 extra lines of release notes:

This way you could even free up enough screen space to show users the FULL name of the asset (by moving the name to where the exisiting "release notes" label currently sits). I'd say the name of the asset is kind of important in this context. More so than what time of day it was purchased. :rolleyes:

I'd also expand the icon size relative to the height of the row. etc.

Last edited: May 30, 2019
    JBR-games, truefx001 and hopeful like this.
  46. nasos_333

nasos_333

This is just perfect !!! Thanks for adding this option, it makes life so much easier.

Also please make something simpler for selecting categories in right panel, the arrows in v1.x were instant, the new tick boxes are not working well enough and have some small delay, which makes it hard to choose fast categorization.

47. huran438

huran438

How to see updates of plugins in new asset store? Why u are breaking things which worked fine? I have 282 assets. And in 2k19 i must click on every asset to see is there any updates. If i have 2 or more projects i also must remember which assets i already updated because unity cant store info about downloaded packages from the store inside project... Are u serious about that? My 15 years old brother can teach u how to save and store package version inside unity editor. When i will be able to normally manage plugins?

hurleybird and JBR-games like this.
  48. TokyoWarfareProject

TokyoWarfareProject

at this exact moment the store is broken.
    I can´t integrate in the project purchased assets.
    i've confirmed with other users too. please fix my production is stalled.

EDIT- FIXED

EDIT 2- ITS DOWN AGAIN.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
  49. Baronmarcus

Baronmarcus

Unity Store appears to be completely down - old and new versions.
    Sunday June 2nd 3:55pm EDT
    Cannot access any purchased assets. All game production on hold.

50. timdevil

timdevil

It seems that everything is broken atm. Cloud build, support ticket system and unity connect are all broken.