Search Unity

1. Looking for a job or to hire someone for a project? Check out the re-opened job forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 2020 LTS & Unity 2021.1 have been released.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Asset Store site upgrade

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by JanisAssetStore, Apr 29, 2019.

1. katasteel

katasteel

Labels can't be searched anymore.
    This is a big problem.
    Not sure when they stopped.
    I can see the labels are still on my assets but when I look under "My Assets" it shows this.
    upload_2020-5-18_15-4-32.png

At this point can we just get the old asset store back? At least that worked.

Socrates likes this.
  2. NuSyns

NuSyns

Looks like learn.unity.com is still having trouble with authentication. Is anyone else having trouble?.

If I am not logged in, I can browser learn.unity.com without an issue.

When I enter my email/password and the browser redirectes from learn.unity.com to oauth to authenticate my login, I see the the following error when the browser returns to learn.unity.com following successful authentication.

{"errorCode":"InternalServerError","message":"Internal server error: resp.StatusCode 500 != 200","target":"","details":null}

I've tested this in Firefox, Chrome, Edge with the same results.

Once this happens, I can no longer browse learn.unity.com and the only way to access the site is to clear the browser history and try again. Yep... the same thing happens as soon as I login.

However, If I know the URL, I can enter it and go straight to a tutorial (eg: https://learn.unity.com/tutorial/design-a-simple-puzzle ) but I cannot access anything from learn.unity.com directly.

Many Thanks.

3. ron-bohn

ron-bohn

Hey everybody, I just wanted to say that there are a lot of valid points about improvements that can be made. I heard that there were some seriously needed back-end updates that appear to have been rolled out with the new store....like really necessary things to lay the foundation for years to come. I agree the front-end still needs work, but they are going about it correctly through industry standards doing things like A/B testing, thus making many of these decisions based on data rather than opinion. I think the web team has been addressing issues in a responsive way. I think the new store really does look better (now) than the old one and that's probably helping sales overall. I can only assume that a lot of data was collected during the last spring sale that will further increase sales.

I do miss being able to search for assets based on size and I've experienced many of the things listed in this thread, but I really do think we're experiencing a growing pain that is in the right direction (overall). The old store really did look old and it's reasonable to expect Unity to want to bring in new users with a cosmetic face lift with bigger images and such....it actually would make them look really f'ing lazy if they didn't upgrade it. Keep in mind that the average unity user probably doesn't care as much about this stuff as those of us dealing sometimes with hundreds of assets for sale and/or that we've bought over the years.

4. Socrates

Socrates

@AndrewAssetStore, Not only this, but you cannot edit existing labels to remove them from an asset.

Tried in both Firefox and Chrome.

wood333 likes this.
  5. haomin1

haomin1

Unity Technologies

Thanks for the reporting, this label issue on "My Assets" already fixed

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  6. Rowlan

Rowlan

Can someone of the Asset Store please explain this:

Original Released May 24, 2018
    First Release Apr 15, 2020

And why is the "Visit site" link this one?

http://0.0.0.123/

I've noticed that a few times already.

It doesn't make any sense at all.

Link:

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/props/guns/colt-1911-83269

And is it allowed to sell an asset here for $10 and for $25 elsewhere? I thought it would be against the rules.

Thank you!

asset store.jpg

7. ron-bohn

ron-bohn

That's good for unity if the better deal is on the asset store website. Either way, Unity is non-exclusive for asset store publishers and has been for many many years. This isn't related to the new asset store because that aspect is the same as the old store. Cheers!

Rowlan likes this.
  8. hopeful

hopeful

So ... is my version of the asset store broken? Or are they simply not telling us anything about when sales start and end on the store?

I mean ... that should be the place to say something, you know. Especially about when a sale starts and ends.

wood333 and JBR-games like this.
  9. ArcaderSupreme

ArcaderSupreme

Whenever I try to open an asset page on the site, it gets stuck like this image:
    Screenshot (2).png Somebody explain this.

10. Antypodish

Antypodish

11. nasos_333

nasos_333

I see the same error in some of the videos i post in the forum, they were working before and now they dont and i have to remove some extras put to the video link automatically perhaps to make them work again.

I guess it may be related.

12. nasos_333

nasos_333

When i open my assets, i see this message for a split second before the actual video is loaded, so might be something in the loading process that get stuck in this case.

13. Deozaan

Deozaan

Check your ad blocker or script/cookie blocker extension. It's blocking 3 things in your screenshot.

14. Rowlan

Rowlan

@AndrewAssetStore @haomin1 @JanisAssetStore or @whoever reads this from the UAS team:

Would it be possible to have a fraction in the visualization of the asset store ratings?

If not, maybe replace it with a percentage? An asset getting 4 stars because it's being rounded down doesn't seem to be fair to the publisher. The same applies to an asset that doesn't have 100% 5 stars because it's rounded up.

The current rating visualization with stars is just unfair to the publisher, the other publishers and to the customers.

Thanks for the consideration!

15. Rowlan

Rowlan

Just to extend this I took a random asset.

vuf.png

Has 4 stars. One might think it came down from 5. But actually it has 3.7 by my calculation which is quite a difference imo.

vuf2.png

By my calculation 2.69.

jp.png

By my calculation 4.1

ie it makes a difference on the average if something is shifting between 4 to 5 or between 3 to 4.

16. Rowlan

Rowlan

In addition to the above, would it please be possible to see only ratings based on reviews? Or maybe optionally? I'd like to see whatever a reviewer writes, then I can have my own opinion about the rating stars. I'm absolutely not interested in seeing e. g. 1 star from someone who got mad at a top asset for whatever reason like here without seeing a review:

ratings.png

17. wood333

wood333

I gave up trying to view videos via the Unity Store. The security of my computer is more important to me, and I can usually get to the videos I really need to view through the developer's links to U-tube. Best of both worlds.

I made my preferences for the Asset Store clear long ago. Unity consistently ignores me, so I do a work around, when possible. Frankly, I now buy far fewer assets from the frustrating Unity Store, and have found some nice assets available from other sources.

KarlGG and Socrates like this.
  18. Rowlan

Rowlan

The Asset Store is totally foobared right now. I've wasted 1 hour of my life time with this utterly broken nonsense. And I still didn't get all of the assets because of the problems with the Asset Store site.

I bought the Infinity PBR Bundle on Humble Bundle. Now I'm supposed to "purchase" each and every single "bonus content" for free. That takes forever on the asset store. The best is that at the purchase itself it runs into a gateway timeout. Or worse, the assets that I put for "FREE" into my bin all of a sudden cost 500+ €.

That bonus content is obviously tied to the asset. Why is it not possible for the Asset Store to implicitly tie those to my account? Why do I have to do that manually for each and every single one of them?

After a successful purchase I have several of the purchased items again in my cart???

By the way, the keys were also valid for Unreal. On the Epicstore entring a key takes less than a second to become valid. On the Unity Asset store it took half a minute. Every single one of them. :mad:

Edit: And again. Apparently the Asset Store can't handle 12 assets at a time:

gw.png

And after that I see this in my cart:

purch.png
    Which makes me wonder if that is transaction safe.

price.png
    But hey, 11 of those I don't know 50? assets cost 536.89 € ... I do wonder now what the total value is that I got for wasting a Sunday morning ... and every single one of us who bought the assets has to go through this waste of life time ... o_O

While I was modifying the post, I got this again for the 11 above:

gw2.png

How should I trust that if I made a purchase which involves money? Especially with an asset store support response time of weeks ...

Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
  19. sxa

sxa

That's entirely down to how the developer decided to put the Bonus Content up on the Store. Its been done such that ownership of one asset gives you a 100% discount on the other 'bonus' assets (and vice versa, it seems)

Clearly the Asset Store was never designed for a scenario where someone broke up their product into multiple separate buyable Assets like that. The mechanism for getting a developer-defined cost reduction on one Asset if you own a different Asset was already built-in, though, likely to allow for the common scenario of upgrading major versions at a discount.

So basically its probably not 'possible' because the expectation has always been that the Asset one buys is complete.

Which, to me, is understandable. 'Automatic ownership' of additional products isn't really a feature of shopping cart systems anywhere. Discounts, zero-cost items, voucher codes, that's how its handled pretty much everywhere else. Even online supermarket systems which do BOGOF make you add the second item to the cart.

The way the Bonus Content is delivered is 'the problem', whether that's a workaround for something or just a specific decision by the developer.
    Also, if you use the Unreal codes, you dont get any Bonus content. That makes me suspect the Unreal Asset Store isnt providing any way to do this. So basically, its pretty much a 'bonus' that the Unity Asset Store allows a mechanism for this at all. Its obviously not ideal, but TBH its pretty clever marketing by the seller; one $50 asset becomes '$400 worth'...

20. Rowlan

Rowlan

The real problem is that the asset store isn't capable of handling multiple assets per purchase.

21. sxa

sxa

No, that's not a problem, the store can already manage multiple Assets per purchase, because a purchase is a paid-for shopping cart. What it cant manage is multiple Assets per Asset in a purchase.

Given that you said this should be 'automatic' , it is a bit of a presumption that everyone actually wants extra assets added to their account by default.

So here's a question; if the workaround the OP is using wasn't possible, would you have been okay with one redemption code for ever single bonus file?

Anyway, what's broken about the Asset Store isnt one-off edge cases like this. What's broken about the Asset Store is slow response, timeouts, and hung downloads that cant be cancelled or restarted.

22. hopeful

hopeful

I hear your frustration, but I didn't have a very hard time of it myself. I don't know what I did differently, but it probably took me about 20 minutes to run all the bundle codes and collect the free upgrades.

23. Rowlan

Rowlan

I noticed the time the purchase takes depends on the number of items in the shopping cart. If it's too many (around 10) of them, the Asset Store site eventually runs in a timeout. Moreover it's obviously not everything stored on server side. Or not correctly. If everything were correct and transaction safe, my shopping cart would have been empty after the transaction with the timeout.

hopeful likes this.
  24. mmvlad

mmvlad

I won't lie - it's bad. Like really bad.

Previous version was great UX- and Design-wise. Everything was clear, large enough, etc. Only the search was really bad - like it was sending ajax requests for search after each letter so it froze all the time (why would anyone do that? add some delay like 0.5 sec and then do a search request).

Now when you open the main page:
    - First 40% of the screen is top assets. Everyone that has been on the asset store more than 2 times has seen those tops and opens them few times a month. They don't change that often. Do you think a feature that gets used rarely should take 40% of the main screen? I would argue that no.

- Sale feature - 60% of the screen - wasted. It was large enough before. Now it's like a huge billboard that you just scroll by as you open it a few times per few weeks as you have seen it all already.

- New to unity - 40% of the screen again. I mean sure it is useful but why do you have to do it SO big?
    - Sell assets on the Asset Store - again like 50% of the screen for a feature that 90% of visitors don't care about. They are either buying or are already sellers.

Overall, for some reason, everything is very very big now. I am not sure what was your goal with this update but it looks shiny now and became 10x less usable. You have to scroll like 2 pages to get to categories..

I've been using asset store a lot for like 5 years and this update is the worst.

Shiny and not usable.

25. Sinister-Design

Sinister-Design

Suggestion: more information under "Support" than just "Unity Versions." I've now run into numerous assets that support the current Unity version, but fail to disclose that they only work with the default render pipeline. There needs to be a clear marker indicating which render pipelines a given product works with.

Socrates, wood333, Rallix and 2 others like this.
  26. JBR-games

JBR-games

so it seems Unity no longer wants us to have search filters in the asset store ? why are they all hidden now?
    o_O

27. sxa

sxa

Because you -want- to have to click-through an extra page to see them, of course.

JBR-games likes this.
  28. AndroYD

AndroYD

I really can't fathom what kind of cognitive disabilities someone must have to not realize how utterly broken the Asset Store is, it physically hurts, find me me a single person in this entire thread that says they prefer the new store over the old one, I dare you.
    What is the reason the notifications systems is limited to 15 messages? When you put 6115 assets on sale, if 20 are on my favourites list then 5 notifications will be lost forever by default, even worse if I get notifications of assets getting updated as well, ever more are lost then. The old store allowed to check all notifications and go through them page by page, it was very convenient.
    There's no option to sort which of my favourites are on sale as well, this will badly impact your sales as many customers don't have time to scroll through all 6115, so it's likely some sales will go under their radar.
    This is a great example of shooting yourself in the foot, because other than causing frustration to your users, you're ultimately hurting your finances from losing sales. Just my two cents.

JBR-games likes this.
  29. hopeful

hopeful

What I like is the store's plan on how we're supposed to navigate through their list of 6000 assets on sale. You can tell they didn't actually try to look at each item, because if they did, they'd realize their method of accessing items sucks.

It took me several tries over a few days, and a long time, to actually think that I might have seen most if not all of the items on sale. A real store would try to sell things, and thus make it super easy to see every single item that's on sale. What we have instead is something that workers presented to a boss, the boss grunted, and none of them actually use it.

JBR-games and Socrates like this.
  30. JBR-games

JBR-games

to top this off, scrolling favorites is limited to 24 or so per page.. and over the past 8 yrs or so my fav list is around 900 :p:eek:, yeah i know i need to clean it up eventually.. but still i cant even see which of my favs are on sale..

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
    Socrates likes this.
  31. mmvlad

mmvlad

They have a department that works on it, they can't sit without work so they constantly change it ignoring the most obvious and basic rules of product design, like if something is already good - you have to stop changing it and just leave for a while, or forever. Google doesn't change its front page because there is 0 need to do it.

But Unity keeps redesigning asset store over and over, though literally 0 people that use it want the redesign, only designers that work on it as they need to show some progress or whatever. The same with their service. The UX there is so bad I want to cry, it takes forever to remember what is where, and just as you did - they change it and it is just as bad as it was, just different, and you have to learn all over again.

JBR-games likes this.
  32. hopeful

hopeful

There's a lot of pain points with Unity, but I don't want to grind back and forth over it all. It's just disappointing that where they've done something right they can't manage to recognize it and repeat it. ;)

Mark_01 and JBR-games like this.
  33. Rowlan

Rowlan

There's something wrong when you acquire new free assets. After clicking the add button and the asset gets assigned to you, it shows the popup that you got it, but it still shows the add button instead the "open in unity" button. No matter how often you click it, it happens over and over. You have to logout and login, then it's assigned to you.

JBR-games likes this.
  34. hopeful

hopeful

This has been happening to me for months. If you click the Add button and it brings the little popup at the top, you're good to go. If you want to double check, refresh the page and you'll see the proper "open in unity" button.

Or it least that's how it goes for me.

Rowlan and JBR-games like this.
  35. JBR-games

JBR-games

so now they completely removed the ability to sort / filter assets on the asset store... o_O ? guess you better be one of Unitys top sellers or they block your products from even being seen..

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  36. Antypodish

Antypodish

Use asset store on the desktop, you will see more filter options.

37. JBR-games

JBR-games

Amazing..

unityunity