Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Asset Store site upgrade

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by JanisAssetStore, Apr 29, 2019.

1. Rowlan

Rowlan

Actually I get information to write a review on the store page, even though I already wrote one. Can you please fix that? Afaik it's forbidden to edit / bump reviews. And one could easily fall into that trap when you are asked for a review on the store page.

JBR-games likes this.
  2. JBR-games

JBR-games

it is possible i wrote a review already.. but i have no way to know other than looking through the 100s of reviews..

but reguardless i notice bad reviews consistantly being removed and reviews given to assets from other assets that are 100% different asset by the same publisher..
    examples gaia > gaia pro. Ufps > opsive UFPS.

transat and Rowlan like this.
  3. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

I agree that reviews should not carry over.

JBR-games and Rowlan like this.
  4. Andreas12345

Andreas12345

How the store is working for me:

Great Job!

Jerome_V likes this.
  5. transat

transat

@AndrewAssetStore I believe I actually mentioned this to you in a private conversation 9 months ago. Thanks for acting on it!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
  6. wood333

wood333

Every time I attempt to look at my assets on the new store, I have to re-select sort by name and show 100. Can;t the store remember my preferences? Also, I really liked being able to view all my assets on the old store, rather than pages of 25, 50, or 100. As it stands, I am better off not purchasing any more assets, because it makes all my assets more difficult to manage. I own over 400 assets, and I don't think you are taking your best asset store customers' ease of use seriously.

Rallix, JBR-games and transat like this.
  7. JBR-games

JBR-games

same i have over 1000... it is quite tough to find then now.. the old store was much better in this reguard. atleast the editor isnt a complete snail now but still annoying at best when used through the editor.

wood333 and transat like this.
  8. transat

transat

Some users write BS reviews about assets and then never go back to check the review (why would you?). If there was a mechanism to alert reviewers as to how many people actually found their review useful (say... 0 out of 22) then they might be more inclined to remove their spurious review or at least amend it. Also, alerting users as to when a review has received a response from he developer might be another good way to clamp down on crappy reviews.

l’ve reported nonsense “this asset doesn’t work” 1-star reviews only to be told that the review did not contravene guidelines. Perhaps review the guidelines if you don’t want asset developers to drop the platform?

Another suggestion: add a count next to each reviewer’s name that shows stuff like: “535 out of 537 of this user’s reviews were deemed unhelpful”. My guess is that would make people think twice before posting nonsense.

9. Rowlan

Rowlan

Publisher to fanboys on discord: Downvote that guy's review.

That's what's already happening. No matter the content of the negative review. Imo the like/dislike should be removed altogether.

What's also happening is that when there's a negative review a publisher gifts an asset, so that the gifted ones write a positive review on top of the negative. The old store made that very visible, but in the new version of the store the "has been gifted by the publisher" information is gone. It should be re-added imo.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
  10. transat

transat

True, upvotes and downvotes can be gamed on an asset. I’ve sunk cash into an asset developer with a huge fanboy following and that publisher is aggressive at replying to and sinking negative reviews. So much so that I haven’t even dared posting a review to say how crap the assets are. We may well be referring to the same publisher Rowlan.

On that note... I pretty much never posts negative review - only positive ones. Out of respect for dev’s livelihoods. I suspect this happens a lot, leaving a skewed impression that some devs aren’t as bad as they really are.

Difficult to know how to fix this situation and I suppose it’s not in UT’s financial interest to stop us from wasting our money.

JBR-games likes this.
  11. Rowlan

Rowlan

So is the livelihood of everyone else who put thier money into the Asset Store. Example: A publisher on this store keeps on selling roadmaps and at the same time posts on the forum that people won't get what they purchased and still pay for, but in order to get that they have to pay more. That's baiting. The problem with it is that you won't get a refund because time passes and Unity doesn't give refunds for assets that you bought more than 6 months ago. Basically a publisher seemingly gives you a refund for not delivering, but knowlingly keeps the money and shifts the blame to Unity. I already have a support ticket running, the asset store team replied with

My reply was

Waiting for a reply for more than a week now.

@AndrewAssetStore Unity shouldn't allow the selling of promises and roadmaps on the store imo.

There is even a section in the Asset Store Provider Agreement:

A text in the asset description where something is sold and promised and at the same time the publisher already knows that customers don't get what they pay for is definitely not truthful.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
    JBR-games likes this.
  12. transat

transat

When I try to connect to the store now what I get is this:

Screen Shot 2020-03-23 at 2.42.39 pm.png

When did this happen? What code? What is the Authenticator App? Where are the communications about this? etc.

13. rrahim

rrahim

Hi, Now that the asset store v1 has been completely removed.
    Can we get notifications on the new store? I've been using the old store to see notifications in browser and I can't seem to find it on the new store.

14. Rallix

Rallix

It's still there, just hidden in the context menu under your account.

Notifications.png

rrahim likes this.
  15. Andreas12345

Andreas12345

I give up, i buy my stuff at cgTrader

Jerome_V likes this.
  16. chingwa

chingwa

I’m increasingly doing this too, but maybe that’s because they have huge sales every other week... it’s kinda of crazy.

Jerome_V likes this.
  17. rrahim

rrahim

Oh, how did I miss this, lol.
    Thanks.

18. Rowlan

Rowlan

Would it be possible to have dedicated slots in a review for self-made youtube videos and pictures?

I tend to post videos now of how the asset looks like simply because it gives more visual information than when one would just write words.

Example: https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/environments/tropical-forest-pack-49391#reviews

It would be nice if it would be possible to have a thumbnail strip similar to the one the asset description has.

StevenPicard and JBR-games like this.
  19. GunFister

GunFister

Ok.....so maybe I missed it, but what exactly is the reasoning we are being forced to use the "New" Asset store?

This new version is much harder to find, compare, and just view assets when searching and browsing for potential buys. The whole "Metro" style of assets looks like it was designed for people who use MS Surface tablets which need big ol' buttons for their fat fingers.

Isn't there a way we could have both versions of the store available as an option?

(someone please tell me this whole asset store 'upgrade' wasn't a goofy attempt by a Web & UI division within Unity to display relevance in light of future downsizing)

<End Rant>

Jerome_V likes this.
  20. SolarixLunarre

SolarixLunarre

I can't download anything into my scene and all it shows is an error message saying it timed out due to it not connecting.

JBR-games likes this.
  21. wood333

wood333

Face it. This is evidence of the decline of Unity management, a bungled attempt to improve sales of store assets rather than a reasoned effort to improve the asset store user experience. This is part two of the failed forum upgrade, (remember that?), but without the sense to back down this time. Sorry, just saying....

JBR-games likes this.
  22. ejhong

ejhong

I can't buy anything on the store right now. Was charged but assets don't list. And if I try again, it just errors out.

23. GunFister

GunFister

Actually, I kinda disagree with part of that assessment, as if the intent were to increase sales, they'd do everything in their power to make accessing assets that much easier so people could buy MORE.. In fact, this whole new store layout makes it HARDER to actually browse and find things. Sure, they added filters to certain elements so you could quickly see which assets have upgrades available, etc., but overall, making the asset entries larger and more spread out (e.g. for fat-fingered Surface users), it's actually harder to see different assets and find / comparison shop.

Regarding the decline of their management - well, I think it's more likely a case of too much management and too many departments - something seen in organizations that are too bloated. The thing is, if they really wanted to make more money, they'd take a larger cut of each sale (if they do so at all).

This whole thing screams NEW COKE... (Sorry, I might be dating myself here...)

Jerome_V likes this.
  24. JBR-games

JBR-games

i think your likely right about management.
    i believe they take 30% cut on each sale.which would be fine if thwy listened to their asset store publishers about all the issues they have caused them as of lately..

past that im very unsure how this new package manager /asset store download system is going to work. but ill save my judgement until ive tested it more.

25. wood333

wood333

You are assuming that Unity management should believe that making the process "easier" would lead to increased sales. Logical. But marketing isn't driven my logic, it's driven by subtle persuasion, and the hand of marketing execs can be seen by the actual changes to the asset store over the past 5-6 years. More banners, bigger banners, more slogans, more in your face. They may in fact increase sales, (they don't tell us) but they annoy me. The older asset store was much easier to navigate and search. It was a snap. The Unity asset store has only ever grown more flashy, less user friendly. The useful information is still there, but clicks deeper. It's Unity's choice, and their right to do it as they see fit. I just wish they would bring back the ease of use. I don't know about you, but time is the rarest commodity in the development of my project. I wish they would at least have perfected the new asset store before pulling the plug on the old one. Sorry about the long winded response.

Jerome_V, Deozaan and JBR-games like this.
  26. GunFister

GunFister

More likely than not, we're probably both right on this.. and we totally agree that the current store is by far much harder to use and more of an incentive for folks to go elsewhere (e.g. CGTrader, etc.).

So the big question is this now - What do we think it would take for Unity to either just roll back to their old store or better yet, retain the option of users being able to choose which layout they'd prefer. I'm pretty curious as to what's under the hood that's so much better with the new store (which couldn't be ported over to the old store without much effort).

Jerome_V, wood333 and JBR-games like this.
  27. JBR-games

JBR-games

dont think youll get the old store back, but hopefully they will keep improving the new version. its came a long ways.
    My personal biggest complaint at the moment is the lack of ability to look through what i already own.. even when i load 100 at a time i still got 15 pages to look through...

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
    Jerome_V and wood333 like this.
  28. hopeful

hopeful

I had a weird thing happen today. On my asset store page there was no listing for the Audio category. That was on a fresh copy of the asset store page. Eventually it corrected, by some mysterious means.

29. KeithBrown

KeithBrown

Is there a way to only filter assets that have not been downloaded in the new store?

30. rasto61

rasto61

Not sure if this has been mentioned but when switching tabs back to store (safari 12.1.2), the banner gets added over and over again:
    Screen Shot 2020-04-09 at 10.37.00 PM.png

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
    Rowlan and JBR-games like this.
  31. JBR-games

JBR-games

OK after Testing the package manager way of loading asset.. i have to say its a lot better. being able to browse the store on the internet and have it link to the package manager is quick and bypasses the laggy editor version...

on another note, not that mobile is a priority but many of the sorting options are missing or hidden in it.

32. Rowlan

Rowlan

I'd like to see a better sale. The daily deals are just plain awful. Who should be addressed by that? Certainly not the average Unity customer.

Pro GIF Universal: €267.11 (excl tax), 1 Reviews, not enough ratings

Omnity Camera System for Immersive Projection: € 268 (excl tax), 2 Reviews, 4 Stars

Landscape Auto Material: € 133.11 (excl tax), 33 Reviews, 3 Stars

"LowPoly Dinosaurs" Ultimate Jurassic Pack: € 268 (excl tax), no reviews at all, not enough ratings

Snaps Art HD | Industrial Harbor: € 89.32 (excl tax), 1 Reviews, not enough ratings

Super Orcs Monster Pack: € 233.33 (excl tax), 3 Reviews, 4 Stars

Fantastic City Generator: € 268 (excl tax), 8 Reviews, 5 Stars

Tropical Jungle Pack (v8): € 133.11 (excl tax), no reviews, no ratings <<<<<<< my personal favorite, because it doesn't work and hasn't been working in HDRP and SpeedTree defends with they're waiting for Unity to write the HDRP shaders. So it's not even fully 2019.3 compatible. How could this even get into such a sale?

Highway Racer: € 134 (excl tax), 10 reviews, 4 Stars

This doesn't look like Quality at all, definitely not something that anyone would ever recommend to buy, not even at a -70% price reduction.

There are so many good asset from very skilled publishers on the store. Why not promote those better and get a chain reaction of additional promotion when people use them and show what they can achieve with them.

33. Rowlan

Rowlan

The Asset Store needs a clear classification of assets depending on open and closed source. Yesterday I wanted to try something, so I downloaded a quadcopter drone asset I bought in 2018, I didn't touch it before. The asset - although up to date - didn't work and after trying to debug it I realized that the core of it was a DLL. And it turned out that it wasn't the only drone asset that comes as DLL, as can be seen in the package details. Nobody who is in serious software development would ever choose that kind of dependency.

Something like that, it was the first Icon I saw as google result, the designers at Unity probably have a better:

open vs closed.jpg

A clear presentation - exactly in the same size as the refunds coverage - would benefit everyone. For one I'm not in the business for helping others fix their closed source bug, nor could I wait to get a reply from the publisher, let alone wait for him to fix his buggy asset. So I moved on to another asset and gave that one a 1 Star recommendation, I just can't recommend that. If I'd have known beforehand about that trap, i. e. that the asset comes as DLL, I'd have considered a different review. I wouldn't have even bought it. I bought it in a purchase rush during some sale, but even that was lost money in retrospective.

Moreover it would be preferred if there were a filter for that, I don't want to see closed source at all. It's an option for toying around, but in serious business I'd avoid it.

hopeful, rrahim, DeoSsin and 3 others like this.
  34. Rowlan

Rowlan

Another feature request:

I'd love to see an option for free assets that allows you to disable reviews and ratings. I tought myself modeling and texturing over the years. I use e. g. wind turbines, hot air balloons and what not in my prototypes and created several free assets which I put on github. I don't mind sharing those for free on the store. The only problem I have with the store is that a fanboy collective of competitive assets would easily trash my assets if I'd put them for free on the store and I'd have nothing from it.

I mean look at the Unity Particle Pack. It's absoluetely awesome. But since it's free, lots of people download and downvote for reasons beyond me.

ps: apologies for the spam, those posts where initially int he wrong thread, i didn't notice :(

JBR-games and Jerome_V like this.
  35. Rowlan

Rowlan

Since Unity refuses to react (e. g. pulling the asset from the sale) nor comment on my complaint, a question: How is it fair to every potential customer to have an asset that got 459 reviews for a price of $300 on the store when literally nobody ever paid that price? And more than that the majority of the reviews aren't about that asset either, I took the time and counted the reviews: 43 are about the $100 asset (negative ones which Unity deleted aren't counted). The others are about the $60 old version. A "massive" change in an asset that changes the price from $100 to $300 makes the asset not be the same anymore. The price may have changed considerably, the value hasn't.

Unity makes an asset look like it would have a $300 value. I have been tricked like that as well into purchasing the asset in having me made blieve it was of value while in fact it has no value at all for me. And Unity didn't have me "covered" like it's advertised.

One could at least make a fair and trustworthy review system. Currently it doesn't look like one can trust it. I hope Unity improves on that. Thank you very much!

JBR-games, Jerome_V and StevenPicard like this.
  36. WaveCave

WaveCave

And I notice there is no way to search by pricing at 'my assets' page.

JBR-games likes this.
  37. AndroYD

AndroYD

What's the deal with companies "upgrading" their websites when they're actually downgrading it? They remove important features and make it overall work way worse than the old version, this isn't even an opinion or a matter of perception, it's a fact.

FACT: Notifications are now limited to 25, so if you get more than 25 you're screwed, I can't scroll down a list like in the old version, everytime something on my favourite list is on sale it gets hidden from notifications (ie. updates) of my other assets.

FACT: The mobile version is entirely crippled, you can't even sort your favourites anymore, only the entire website, if you have 100 favourites it will sort through all FIFTY THOUSAND of them, doesn't happen on the desktop version. Good luck scrolling through them all. Even when you explicitly command your browser to switch to the desktop version, the website will still refuse to do so.

FACT: Often forgets you're already signed in, so when you're at a page with an interesting asset you want to add or buy you can't do it unless you click "Sign In" first, but then it remembers you're already logged in so it doesn't ask for any authetication and logs you in. Good luck if you have multiple tabs open and having to refresh them all.

This is so infuriating I rage quit from buying anything. I am tired of contributing to this broken system that willingly and knowingly causes frustration and bad user experience, YOU KNOW THERE ARE PROBLEMS BECAUSE IT'S BEEN MONTHS THAT USERS ARE REPORTING IT, I refuse to deal with terrorists.

hopeful, JBR-games and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  38. Rowlan

Rowlan

An excellent example for the poor choice in the sale is today's Daily Deal for -70%.

asset.png

Not supported in 2019.x ... And these are all the reviews which customers should base their purchase decision on:

reviews.png

It doesn't look like a sale, it looks like a garage sale where someone tries to get rid of the trash.

Whoever made the choice for the sale and whichever the criteria were, from a customer's point of view this is quite unclear. It doesn't look like someone wants to make money.

Those previous Humble Bundle like sales on the Unity Asset Store were way better imo.

JBR-games, StevenPicard and Jerome_V like this.
  39. WaveCave

WaveCave

Would be better to add 'others' category for those half-classified assets. For example, if an asset classified to 3D/Environments, use 3D/Environments/Others instead (to not let clearly classified assets mixed in).

40. Jerome_V

Jerome_V

It used to be so much fun to browse through the old asset store, but with this new version of the store that has been forced upon us for now clear reason, I no longer enjoy using the asset store. I find myself buying less and less assets from the Unity Asset Store, and I have even stopped buying 3d models and environments via the asset store entirely, since there are much better alternative stores and websites that offer much better deals and have a much better user interface! I'm even thinking of ignoring the Unity Asset Store altogether, unless they bring back the old asset store.

I have bought hundreds of assets via the Unity Asset Store over the years, but there is just no convenient way to find them or browse through them, due to the unacceptable lag of the purchased assets overview section of the asset store. How on earth can a team of professional programmers and designers screw up this essential function in such an embarrassing way for such a long time? Don't they see how damaging this is to the store's business?

Another extremely annoying problem of the Asset Store is the fact that the Asset Store's browser within Unity still has no option to view videos on the product pages directly, without having to open an external browser! How difficult can it be to implement video playback, like they did years ago? Can't they see that opening an external browser often leads to web traffic to other websites and stores, away from the Unity Asset Store? Youtube already knew this many years ago, when they started to discourage the use of external links in video descriptions by giving such videos lower 'visibility', which affects the monetization of these videos.

PLEASE, bring back the Old Asset Store !!!

41. VIC20

VIC20

Since today bookmarks or direct links to any sorting except "Popularity“ are broken. It starts displaying the correct page and quickly falls back to sorting by popularity. You still can manually switch the different sorting but you can’t bookmark or link to it anymore.

Just try yourself:

https://assetstore.unity.com/3d?orderBy=1 (works because orderBy 1 is popularity)
    https://assetstore.unity.com/3d?orderBy=2
    https://assetstore.unity.com/3d?orderBy=3
    https://assetstore.unity.com/3d?orderBy=4
    https://assetstore.unity.com/3d?orderBy=5

42. hopeful

hopeful

I'm getting a BAD error in the store right now, where if I have an item in my cart to buy that has a "seat" number ... well, the shopping cart automatically increments the first one of those to 2 seats. And it's not just a visual error; the total price goes up too.

If I remove that item and re-add it, the problem goes away ... but only until I display the shopping cart again, where whichever item first in the list with a seat option will now be incremented.

I don't want to be forced in some stealthy way to buy 2 of any items, thank you! ;)

JBR-games likes this.
  43. Rowlan

Rowlan

It would be great if the Asset Store Download section could be split in 2:

• asset core files
    • demo files

The demo files rarely change. Better yet would be a flexible solution where publishers can create their own download categories. You know for model and shader changes and such.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
    LaneFox and JBR-games like this.
  44. fherbst

fherbst

Is there any update from Unity about monetization of Packages? Or does Unity basically want to force people who are willing to go the extra mile and create packages (as intended) to sell and monetize outside of AssetStore?
    I know there were discussions about this, like, two years ago when packages came up - where are we now?

45. arikasses

arikasses

Hello, i can not access my unity asset store it gives me an error
    "Internal server error: Fail to get redis data"
    Does the server has any problem? BR

46. NuSyns

NuSyns

I’m on Mobile (iOS) and seeing the same error when trying to access the Asset Store.

Internal server error: Fail to set redis data"

47. arikasses

arikasses

It looks like it was there server error it has been fixed.

48. NuSyns

NuSyns

Thank you

49. ron-bohn

ron-bohn

As a customer is anybody experiencing bugs with the "labels". I made a bunch of labels and they seemed to have vanished from the menu on the right, but they still appear under the list under each asset under "my assets". Just wondering because if people can't filter based on their labels, it kind of defeats the purpose. Sorry if someone else brought this up previously.

50. Andreas12345

Andreas12345

1. Anytime i start unity i need to Login
    2. Anytime i login, i see "New Features on My Assets"
    3. Asset Store preview Videos are not working
    4. The asset store window in unity is overload with bullshit "Frequently bought together, You might also like"
    5. Outside unity the asset store is not working with chrome.

It feels like since 2 years you try to build your Asset Store 2.0, and you re just not able to make it.
    For me its ok, because other sources can make it. :)

wood333 likes this.
unityunity