Search Unity

Asset store search bar (website)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by OccularMalice, Feb 25, 2021.

1. OccularMalice

OccularMalice

Not sure if this is nitpicking or not and not even sure if anyone from Unity would be paying attention to this but the search box on the asset store website is atrocious and it would be nice if it was fixed.

As a web developer I know how this stuff should work but the current search is too aggressive when you're trying to search for something. Before you type in two characters the search is done (that part is nice) but then the focus is taken away and you're not entering text to further refine your search.

I find I have to type extremely fast to keep the javascript churning enough to finish my search term. I think it should be a simple fix to make it a more usable UX. Perform the store search in the background, but don't steal away focus from the search box until the user has stopped typing.

Maybe I'm the only one who's complaining about this? I couldn't find any other threads on this and wasn't sure where to post it.

Thanks

2. It would be beneficial if you report what kind of browser are you using, because it just works fine for me in uptodate Chrome browser, the focus is not taken away despite the quick response from the search engine.

3. OccularMalice

OccularMalice

I'm on the most recent version of Chrome (88.0.4324.182) my computer has. Also tried Edge and get the same behavior. I can type in a few characters and the search finds something, but the bar vanishes and focus is lost for me, forcing me to click on the search bar to enter more characters.

4. Me too (version, and now just updated to the latest Version 88.0.4324.190 (Official Build) (64-bit), also works just fine). It works just fine for me. Do you have any extensions? Maybe one of them will be the culprit? Or some other software grabs the focus away? Although the search bar returns to the search for me even after I click away to other program and back.

5. User340

User340

I'm noticing the same issue in Safari on Mac.

6. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

I get the same behaviour on some computers, not on others.

Devices that work fine:
    Windows 10 Acer Nitro 5 with Ryzen 5 and RX 560 - Google Chrome latest
    Macbook Latest M1 - Google Chrome latest

Devices that produce the erroneous behaviour:
    Windows 10 Acer Nitro 5 with Ryzen 5 and RX 560 - Firefox
    Windows 10 Acer Nitro 5 with Ryzen 5 and RX 560 - Edge
    Macbook Latest M1 - Safari
    Mabcook Air 2016 - Safari
    Macbook pro 2018 - Safari
    Macbook pro 2018 - Chrome

Dont really use the asset store so it does not bother me enough to file a bug report, but info is here for those that will find it useful.

P.S not all these devices are mine, hence why I was not able to test all browsers on all devices