Search Unity

Asset Store Screw-up caught on tape.

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by namoricoo, Oct 30, 2011.

1. namoricoo

namoricoo

I made a Video showing some of the problems I've been having with the Asset Store. I hope other people who have problems will make their own videos so that we can see if there's a pattern. It's one thing to have a bug report. It's a totally different thing to have a bug report and a video.
    1)Access t0 My offline assets is my number One Aggravation
    2)When the Asset Store does not load. That's another aggravation.
    3)Having to keep doing a refresh is another aggravation
    4)As I show in my WWW video, there is a simple solution....

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  2. UnleadedGames

UnleadedGames

That is exactly my experience with the asset store. I'm glad I'm not crazy!

3. namoricoo

namoricoo

No, you are not crazy. Before UniDDatabase 3.0, I had a lot of problems with managing remote Assets. After I collaborated with Alex, I came up with a solution Unity can learn a thing or two from. Working with remote Assets is hard work if you don't know what you're doing.

4. caitlyn

caitlyn

Hey Namoricoo, thank you so much for taking the time to create this video. Our apologies for the inconvenience-- and I'm making sure our dev team gets to the bottom of this.

Cheers

Caitlyn

5. leo-carneiro

leo-carneiro

Unity Technologies

Hey Namoricoo,

This video is actually very helpful to us!

We would like more information from you to help us improve the Asset Store.
    It would be a great help if you could Zip up the following folder: ~/Library/Unity/Asset Store/
    And use the Unity Bug Reporter to send us the zip file.

Please let me know the Case Number so we can investigate it further!

Cheers,
    Leonardo Carneiro,
    Online Team Developer

6. namoricoo

namoricoo

previous Case: 425727, I looked in the Library folder on my Mac and there is no "Unity/Asset Store" folder in there. I will check on my PC

7. namoricoo

namoricoo

I'm doing a side-by-side run of Asset Store on my Windows XP computer Vs the Asset Store on my Mac snow Leopard. When I open up the Asset store on window it works. When I go to offline Assets section. I see the local files. After a couple of seconds, the window will auto refresh so that I can see Assets I purchased but have not downloaded yet. So in under 60 seconds I see all Assets regardless of download status. However on my mac I get what you see in the video.
    If somebody on Windows is getting errors they should post a message here so that we can help make the Asset store a better place. Let me know if I can do anything else.

8. freyr

freyr

Did you look in the right place? It should be inside the Library folder inside your home directory, not the one at the root folder of your hard drive. (the ~ in the path Leonardo posted is a shorthand for /Users/[your username])

If you are using OS X Lion, the Finder does not list the Library folder. You can still open it using "Go To Folder" and open the folder directly.
    Hit Command+Shift+G from the Mac desktop (or Finder > Go > Go to Folder) and type in ~/Library to temporarily access the Library directory in the Finder. When you are done, close this window and it will no longer be visible.

With kind regards
    Keli

9. scarpelius

scarpelius

Except the fact is blocking Unity by the duration of connection and the Looooooooonnnnnnngggggggg time to connect (i can make a coffee in sand in this time) after connection is working ok. Sometimes is having hiccups in retrieving the content but they are probably because of server not responding in time.

Win 7/64

10. namoricoo

namoricoo

I will have a new case number when the bug reporter finishes uploading the file.

11. freyr

freyr

Excellent!

As a workaround until we have found a fix for this problem, after uploading it, try deleting or renaming the folder and restarting Unity.

12. namoricoo

namoricoo

New Case number:425727.

13. namoricoo

namoricoo

My account appears to be working correctly for the past two days. If anyone else is having problems you should post the error you are getting here so that the Asset store can help you too. I think we should add a "factory reset" button to the Asset Store window. That will delete all Local Assets so that the user can start over.

14. Yann

Yann

Deleting the "Asset Store" folder and restarting Unity seems to have solved the most annoying problem I was experiencing : several packages failing to decompress. Thanks for the tip !

A remark about ergonomics : each time you download something from your purchase list, the whole page refreshes and scrolls back to the top, so you have to re-scroll down to the last downloaded asset in order to import it. I think it would be good in terms of user experience (especially with long lists of purchases) if the interface kept the focus on this last element.

15. namoricoo

namoricoo

That's why I was saying we need to add a "factory Reset" button. A lot of people who are having problems don't know where to find the correct file to delete. A factory reset button would fix a lot of these problems.