Search Unity

[Asset Store] [Released!] Cave & Dungeon Toolkit - For Next-Gen Fantasy Scenes

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by ChaosWWW, Dec 5, 2016.

1. ChaosWWW

ChaosWWW

This is now released! Get it here: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/79550.

Hey, I've been working on this project for the asset store and I figured its about time to post about it and get some feedback. I've still got some work to do, but this should be coming to the asset store soon. Here's some of the features:

• Hundreds (currently 226) of modular rocks, ice, props and architectural pieces for creating your scenes.
    • Pre-made room kit prefabs that allow you to create scenes in minutes!
    • Component kit prefabs that allow you to add fine grain detail and create environments of any shape and size.
    • Hand crafted high resolution PBR textures that retain clarity even up close (but can be down-resed for lower spec platforms as well!)
    • Custom shaders featuring advanced detail mapping, tesselation, environment blending and adaptive UV scaling.
    • Custom tools for blending in environmental effects for snow, moss, sand and water (more on this soon!)
    • Includes lots of VFX prefabs, including atmospheric effects, weather, lava and more.
    • Well optimized, including LODs and a very static batching friendly setup.

If you are interested in this pack, I'd love to know what features you'd like to see from this toolkit. I still want to add some more props and objects, and you could help me determine which direction to go with those! That + any additional feedback or questions you have, I'd love to hear!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
    Mister-D, chelnok, TeagansDad and 4 others like this.
  2. netnetnetnetnet

netnetnetnetnet

Looks great! Looking forward to it!

3. ChaosWWW

ChaosWWW

Thanks!
    ------------------------------

UPDATE:

In the first post I mentioned this will include tools to blend in environmental effects like snow. Now I think its time to talk about what that actually means.

The Cave & Dungeon Toolkit comes with a system that allows you to place "Vertex Influence Spheres" that will blend in environmental effects in a radius. These work very similarly to Unity's point lights. This allows for a non-linear workflow, so you can decide where you want your environmental effects early on, then build the scene around it and have the new objects update consistently and predictably.

This system currently supports adding snow, moss, sand or water to the scene. Snow, moss and sand are considered "environmental effects", and you can only have one active per object at a time. However, water is handled on a separate layer, so you can have overlapping areas that are dry, wet, and covered with snow, for example.

The moss and sand textures are still being developed, but expect examples of those soon!

Here's what the inspector looks like for a vertex influence sphere:

xavia91, Farelle, Adam-Bailey and 3 others like this.
  4. Silly_Rollo

Silly_Rollo

Neat idea with the influence spheres. Looks really good.

5. VisualPath

VisualPath

That looks awesome.
    Any idea when this will be available on the Asset Store?

6. ChaosWWW

ChaosWWW

Thanks! Glad you like it!

Not entirely sure, still have a bit of work to do to finish it up. I would say for sure I will be done and submit it some time this month. A week from now might not be far fetched! This is my first release on the Asset Store, but from what I hear there could be upwards of a week between me submitting it and it actually getting up there, so also keep that in mind.

7. hopeful

hopeful

If it's your first submission, plan on a minimum of two weeks. Also, it could get rejected not because of the quality of the work, but some empty line / box on your submission that you were supposed to have filled in, so just be mentally prepared for any possible hiccup in the process. ;)

8. ChaosWWW

ChaosWWW

Alright, good to know. You inspired me to do some research into the submission process, and hopefully now I can avoid any pitfalls. Especially since its around the holiday season I wouldn't be surprised if it took a bit longer than normal.

9. ChaosWWW

ChaosWWW

Update:

Recently finished moss environment blending and created this example scene to show the kind of environment you can create with it. The sand environment blending will be completed soon, and you will be able to chose if you want a snowy, overgrown or sandy environment when building your scene.

imaginaryhuman likes this.
  10. ChaosWWW

ChaosWWW

Update:

In the first post it was mentioned that there were prefabs for ice, but so far it hasn't been shown off too much, so here's an example of the type of scene you can make just with the ice prefabs. Every rock object that you can use to make caves also has an ice variation. You can make scenes entirely out of rocks or out of ice, or you could chose to mix them as well! Ice also works with environmental blending, although it must be said that moss or sand on ice doesn't make very much sense, but you can do it if you want to!

Regarding the project as a whole: For a while I've had a checklist of items to complete before submission, and I've been narrowing that list more and more. In case you're interested, here's what I have left to do:
    • Sand environment blending
    • Dungeon "Kit" prefabs (kits are collections of components to help ease of use. Cave & Ice kits are done!)
    • Additional environment props (small things like sand VFX and cobwebs)
    • Additional dungeon props (furniture and scenery)
    • Finish and polish all example scenes
    • Upgrade to Unity 5.5
    • Clean up project.
    • Submit!
    As you can see, not too much left! I'll update this list with each new update I post in this thread.

11. GamingTyrantStudios

GamingTyrantStudios

Great Work!! The influence sphere is really nice. Just through that in a package and get it up and you can have my money. :) But really nice work.

12. ChaosWWW

ChaosWWW

Thanks for the feedback! I was thinking about putting the influence spheres in another package, and I will probably end up doing that! There would have to be a bit of work to decouple it from the art assets and make sure it works well on its own, so I'm going to hold off until I've released this first. The sphere system by itself will most likely come soon after, though!

Teila likes this.
  13. Teila

Teila

Love it!!! Great job. :)

malkere likes this.
  14. ChaosWWW

ChaosWWW

Thanks!

Update:

Finished sand environment blending! In addition to the 3 environmental blending types (moss, snow and sand), you can also change the color of the rocks from grey to tan, which is also demonstrated here. Probably 2 updates away from submitting!

Update on the checklist:
    • Dungeon "Kit" prefabs.
    • Upgrade to Unity 5.5
    • Clean up project.
    • Submit!

15. zenGarden

zenGarden

Influences spheres is really good, instead of painting bya hand a complete levels.
    You should make it an Asset Store item.

16. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Care to share your texturing / shader workflow?
    Phenomenal work by the way. Top shelf!

17. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

The Sceenshots really look fantastic. I just hope that it's not so "comic'ish". I am working on a Horror Scenario with the Style like Bloodborne. So everyhting that is too comic'ish does not really fit for me :(
    I am really interested to see the WebDemo of your Dungeons to see how everything looks like and fit together.

You talked about Custom Shaders. Did you add Displacement / Height Maps textures? Cause I am using UBER for our project and POM features using Displacement Maps is pretty important.

Keep it up!
    Ronny

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
    Teila likes this.
  18. Farelle

Farelle

those influence spheres are specially amazing :) but I also really like the look of those dungeons :O

19. pixelsteam

pixelsteam

Yes for sure buy. I really like the cliffs and overhangs ...please make sure they can scale ;)

Teila likes this.
  20. Teila

Teila

With the lighting, it is difficult to see if these are more hand painted or photo-realistic. I too would like to see a demo. :)

21. ChaosWWW

ChaosWWW

To talk a little bit about the shaders, there are mostly 2 slightly different shaders being used.

One is pretty similar to the standard shader, but with greyscale maps like glossiness, metalness and others being packed into one texture. In addition, this shader supports the material blending. This shader is used mostly for the dungeon tilesets and props.

The second shader is a bit more complicated. In addition to the channel packing and environment blending, it also has special detail mapping and tessellation displacement support. The detail mapping basically uses some masked blending in order to make some larger objects not look low-resolution. The tesselation displacement works like you'd expect, adding extra geometry up close to make the object have more depth and detail. The tessellation is for Direct X 11 and as such (I believe) only works on Windows, but there is a fallback that doesn't have tessellation that looks good as well. This shader is used mostly for the rocks.

--

In terms of the style, I'd say mostly what's making these screenshots look comic-ish is the way I chose to compose and light them. I think you could certainly be more grounded and realistic in terms of the composition and everything would feel more realistic. The next (and probably final) scene I'm planning on posting a screenshot of before submitting will most likely be more intimate and realistic, as opposed to the more "epic" and comic-ish ones I've posted.

I'll see what I can do about a demo, but that might be hard for me to pull off right now. For sure I'm going to make a video once everything is done, though, so you can get a better sense of what these assets look like in action. There's a decent amount of atmospheric effects and motion that are not captured in these screenshots, so I'd like to show that as well.

I hope that answers these questions, but if not feel free to follow up!

Making sure these assets can fit in both small scene are really large scenes is a big priority for me. There is one set of assets included with the cave prefabs called "freeform" pieces that have a unique shader that scales up the UVs based on the scale of the object. If you are making a really large scene, these can help break up the repetition.

kilik128, TeagansDad, frbrz and 3 others like this.
  22. SteveB

SteveB

Dayumn...watching!

Edit: Actually, since you're also selling materials as well as models, would you be averse to showing us material spheres so we can focus just on materials?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
    Teila likes this.
  23. ChaosWWW

ChaosWWW

Sure, I will do that soon. Right now I'm really focused on submitting this, but once its in review I can do that. Though, one thing to know is there aren't that many materials that could be displayed this way included, since most of the assets actually have unique textures created specifically for them. I could be missing some, but off the top of my head I believe there are only 10 materials that tile like this.

Update:

Here's a scene to show off some of the props I've made as well as to highlight the dungeon side of this package a little bit.

Update on the checklist:
    • Dungeon "Kit" prefabs.
    • Upgrade to Unity 5.5
    • Clean up project.
    • Submit!
    As you can see, everything is basically done! It's going to take some effort to prepare the submission since this is my first time doing it, but it shouldn't take any longer than a few days at maximum. After that, once Unity approves it, it should be up!

24. ChaosWWW

ChaosWWW

In case anyone was wondering, I submitted the package a few days ago! It's up to Unity to determine how quickly it gets up now.

Hans and Teila like this.
  25. Hans

Hans

Oh yes....this pack will work very well.

Nice work ChaosWWW - my card is ready :)

26. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

Still not in the Asset Store? 3 Weeks is a pretty long time if you ask me :(

Teila likes this.
  27. Billy4184

Billy4184

Looks fantastic! Nice work.

28. ChaosWWW

ChaosWWW

29. frbrz

frbrz

When I first saw the pictures of this asset on the store I thought to myself "no... this must be an artist concept, this can't be a 3D thing, is too realistic and detailed". Obviously I'm a total ignorant and this is great. :p Those influence spheres will sell by themselves. Besides, the scenes can be huge. A lot of people will like this, good job.

30. JustaGameDev

JustaGameDev

This is amazing. Definitely gonna use in my project.

31. Elzean

Elzean

What part makes it only for Unity 5.5 ? That's the only thing preventing me from buying it.

32. ChaosWWW

ChaosWWW

I had to use the latest version of Unity to upload it to the asset store. However, I can upload versions of the asset on older versions of Unity. Since you brought this up, I'm currently working on uploading a version for 5.4. Unfortunately, backwards compatibility is pretty bad between 5.5 and 5.4 apparently, so it's going to take a bit of work. However, I should be done by the end of today, then it's up to Unity to approve the new version.

TLDR older unity version support is coming within a few days :) .

33. Elzean

Elzean

Nice! I'm on 5.4 and going in the store page of your asset doesn't even propose the "buy" button because of that :p

34. ChaosWWW

ChaosWWW

The 5.4 version is now up! In theory you should be able to easily downgrade that to other versions, but if anyone has issues with that, let me know.

35. magique

magique

This looks great. One question. Is tessellation mandatory for the prefabs? I am working on Wii U and tessellation is not supported for Wii U in Unity.

36. ChaosWWW

ChaosWWW

Tesselation is not mandatory, no. Every shader that has tesselation has a non-tesselation fallback.

In theory all the shaders should work for Wii U, but if you decide to purchase and have any issues specifically on that platform, email me. I would be able to modify the shaders if there was an issue. :)

pixelsteam likes this.
  37. magique

magique

Excellent. Thanks.

38. Sovogal

Sovogal

Just wanted to drop a line and say nice job on the refactor. This is shaping up to be quite useful.

39. malkere

malkere

Heyo, I just imported the core+simplified version straight into my loader project and I have quite a few missing scripts on the fps characters in the demo scenes:
    Audio Listener
    Missing
    Tonemapping
    Color correction
    Missing
    Missing
    Missing
    Animator

I'm also getting "Flare renderer to update not found" constantly in the overhang scene and can't get it to start =o

I am on Unity Plus not pro, so that might be causing issues? 5.5.0f3

edit: I see there are some stuff I didn't import, that's probably what it was. PlayDead games and Unity cinematic effects

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  40. obrodhage

obrodhage

Hey Walter, does the toolkit work with Unity 2017.2?

41. ChaosWWW

ChaosWWW

Yes, the package still works after I tested it with the latest version.
    Sorry for the late reply, I was offline for the thanksgiving week.

42. CuriousScribbles

CuriousScribbles

Wow...what in the heck did I just watch??? Where is my friggin credit card :D

Excellent work!

ChaosWWW likes this.
  43. jeromeWork

jeromeWork

Hey @ChaosWWW Awesome toolkit for creative level design. I'm well impressed. Any progress on the shader updates for 2018.x? Are you looking at supporting the Lightweight Render Pipeline too?

44. ccjay

ccjay

Was interested in this package but based on the comments post - wasn't sure how well it works?

Will the results be the same without the Shader Forge variants?

45. malkere

malkere

I have never touched Shader Forge and use a lot of stuff from this package.

46. Kamakrazee

Kamakrazee

hmm, was about to buy this but he hasn't commented for a year, right down to the day, so not sure now if it will stay updated...

47. magique

magique

While this asset looks really nice it is very poorly optimized and the demo levels are constructed poorly. Just to get a demo level optimized and properly set up is a major nightmare. I would pass on it if I were you.There are better alternatives.

ccjay likes this.
  48. ccjay

ccjay

Thanks for the heads up, The user seems pretty inactive too.. so anything deviating from standard shaders is always a gamble in that case.

Gonna pass for now.

49. ChaosWWW

ChaosWWW

Hey, sorry I don't look at this thread all the time but I'm responsive to emails if you have specific questions. Regarding the shaders, there was a brief time where for some reason they didn't work in a specific Unity version, but they work fine with the latest stable release. I was going to make an update with that fix but that issue only happened briefly for that one version. If you need it, though, just email me and I can give you an updated version that works with the incompatible version of Unity.

kilik128 and malkere like this.
  50. kilik128

kilik128

i want say instant buy !! amazing loving !!

same question shader updates for 2018.x Are you looking at supporting the Lightweight Render Pipeline too

and compatible opengl 3.0 ?

it's possible to get little help if need create terrain shader for exemple thank's