Search Unity

asset store policy for code file header copyright?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by createdbyx, Dec 20, 2012.

1. createdbyx

createdbyx

My latest asset store submission was rejected on a few minor points. Namely this ...

"All asset store purchases are covered by the license that customers agree to when they create their account. It protects your work from abuse and prevents people from reselling your work. Would you please remove the existing license so there isn’t a conflict?"

... so I removed the License.txt file but I am wondering what is the asset store policy for my C# scripts if they have copyright and licensing comments in the file header.

Will the asset store still reject my submission? Or should I play safe and leave out any license info in the file header comments...

2. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

Is it a free asset or are you charging money? If it's free, I believe you can include a different license but you need to discuss it with them and have that license viewable on the asset store page for your asset. If you're charging money, you have to use the Unity license; you can't include your own. Are you trying to secretly trick people who buy your asset into agreeing to the second license? I don't think that will hold up in court, and would get you in trouble with Unity if you tried to enforce it. So don't try to sneak a fake license past Unity. You have to remove it if you're planning to sell it for money.

A copyright notice is fine; you can put a line like "Copyright (your name) 2012" or something like that. But you can't put license terms like "This is GPL" or "You are not allowed to distribute this".

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012