Search Unity

Asset Store pet peeve

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by warthos3399, Jun 19, 2021.

1. warthos3399

warthos3399

Sup guys! I had to say something about this. Some of the asset devs need to have an organized structure. Example: decided to use a scene asset i picked up a few months ago. Totally unorganized, The hierarchy scrolls for ever (no joke), no subs, no structure at all, everything just thrown into the hierarchy.

Ive seen many assets like this, I just spent 30 mins just to put things into subs (foliage, particle effects, water planes, etc.), just so i could have some room to work! The scene and artwork are great, but im one of those devs who is organized and clean with everything i do.

Just think all asset devs should be required to at least have an organized hierarchy for any asset being sold on the store. Its just plain laziness.

Anyone else feel the same?

PutridEx likes this.
  2. Acissathar

Acissathar

I think a minimum standard that should be enforced (and granted I haven't run into anything in a while that hasn't been like this, so maybe it is now) is a folder for the asset dev themselves and not just in the root assets directory. Assets\AssetDev -> massive dump is much better than just Assets\ -> massive dump, and it helps to avoid conflict between various assets if they have common folder names.

Socrates and warthos3399 like this.
  3. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

I think the asset store does have a standard. But they must be undermanned. Because it is enforced sometimes, and other times not.

Time wasted setting up folders is one of those things some little UI tricks can help though. With more quickly accessible filters the need for subfolders is no more. A batch rename that adds suffix or prefix to items by type would be a great tool to sister with that.

warthos3399 likes this.
  4. StaggartCreations

StaggartCreations

I recently imported an asset and it was extremely frustrated to see how fragmented demo content was spread around. Had to go over everything and deselect it, but had to be done 3 times since some of the scripts were actually needed.

The submission guidelines exist, but being guidelines, they're aren't really enforced:

What works for me, is putting all demo content in a "_Demo" folder. The underscore makes it appear at the top, so it's easy to deselect.

warthos3399 and NotaNaN like this.
  5. xjjon

xjjon

I believe you can preview the asset structure before you purchase (to weed out poorly structured ones)

upload_2021-6-19_14-33-54.png

For importing assets, I find it is better to import them into a blank project and then copy over what you need. That way you can import only what you need

Ryiah and Socrates like this.