Search Unity

Asset store packages used info panel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ugur, Jul 6, 2017.

1. ugur

ugur

2. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

I move all 3rd party stuff into a directory called "Assets/Middleware". Quite easy to keep track that way, just a matter of looking into that folder :)

3. ugur

ugur

Interesting approach, though i have to say not my favorite. The reason is: basically in that moment you have already messed with the folder structure of the package, which is something i like to avoid as much as possible.
    Basically, as possible, i try to avoid messing with any of the assets coming from a package directly, as to allow for example upgrading it as smoothly as possible later on without messing up anything in the project.
    (So i then duplicate visual assets if i have to alter them or for scripts make duplicates with name indicating what they are based on or classes inheriting from those base classes).
    Me personally, i have the same goal as you, separating project's own things from external packages and keeping all organized and tidy, but do it the other way round, which is i put all project specific stuff into a folder called something like _projectSpecific_<projectName> so then it is shown as the top most folder in the assets folder and everything from external packages is kept in their own folders outside of it.

But yeah, neither of those is a solution to the problems i'd like to see tackled with something like that "(asset store) packages used in project info panel/listing".
    Problems like when one works longer on a bigger project it could happen that for example some plugins got updated and one does not know about it, or one does not know which version of a package is used inside the project, or one does not know which all files come from which package. Such things... =)