Search Unity

Asset store packages use

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by DoomDude99, Jul 29, 2019.

1. DoomDude99

DoomDude99

Definitely not the best subforum to ask but, are packages such as:

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/integration/alps-easy-live-wallpapers-for-android-101053

or

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/integration/ulivewallpaper-pro-52477

one use only? in a sense that if I buy a package that is not compatible with the current version of unity I'm using, but the author makes an update so that it is, should I repurchase the package? (I'm not familiar with asset store policies; or are these custom to each package author?)

2. kdgalla

kdgalla

Typically when you buy an asset, you can download it again anytime you want. The author of the asset will continually release updates and you can just keep downloading it again to get the latest version and you don't have to pay for it again.

The author can decide to stop supporting the asset anytime they want to, though. The author may choose to stop updating the asset and make a "version 2" and release it as a separate asset package, in which case you would have to buy the new package if you want version 2 and any subsequent updates. Often times there's a special upgrade price for people who already have version 1, so that you don't have to pay the full price.There is no guarantee though.

Joe-Censored and DoomDude99 like this.
  3. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

One of 3 things typically occurs:

1) The author never makes updates, and eventually a change in Unity breaks the asset, preventing you from using the asset in later versions of Unity unless you do a bit of self support fixing it yourself

2) The author makes regular updates, making the asset usable in newer versions of Unity for years to come

3) The author does a very significant update and re-releases the asset as an entirely new asset, either a totally new name or a v2 of the same asset. As already mentioned, typically there is a reduced cost update path, but that is not guaranteed.

Unity itself places no requirements on the asset developer beyond that the asset effectively works in the version it was originally uploaded for. Ongoing support is not required or implied, though most asset developers try to be helpful and try to fix problems. Most make hardly any money, so don't get mad about slow response times.

DoomDude99 and Lurking-Ninja like this.