Search Unity

Asset Store needs tags for Render Pipeline Compatibilities

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Flow-Fire-Games, Dec 29, 2020.

1. Flow-Fire-Games

Flow-Fire-Games

With the current chaos that are the render Pipelines, it is getting increasingly frustrating to search forums, CTRL+F Asset stores and try and error to find out what is compatible with which as store descriptions are overwhelmingly unclear just like general intercompatibility.

This is only a symptom but still the situation should be improved and new asset uploads or patches should have mandatory tags declaring render pipeline compatibilities just like with Unity versions as we are basically operating on 3 different engines at this point and people need to know what they are buying.

2. Le_Tai

Le_Tai

Just so everyone know, publishers have been asking for this for a long time. This cause us to have to spend more time on support.
    Fun fact, when you upload Asset, there are mandatory check boxes declaring a varieties of things, including compatible render pipelines. None of these boxes seem to do anything.
    My impression is that the Asset Store team is a quite small part of Unity, so things often get done rather slowly.

Walter_Hulsebos likes this.
  3. MDADigital

MDADigital

It's crazy that so many new assets does not support built in since URP/HDRP is in preview

4. Le_Tai

Le_Tai

Unity has made it clear that URP is the new default, so I can understand that some publishers who can't afford maintaining multiple pipelines chose to not support built-in.

5. MDADigital

MDADigital

Sure that makes sense when it leaves preview and all features from built in is present in URP

6. Le_Tai

Le_Tai

Agree.

7. Flow-Fire-Games

Flow-Fire-Games

Haha, I was looking at your store page from your signature just now and I am interested in your shadow and background Blur but it says nothing about any pipeline ; P

8. snacktime

snacktime

First off SRP was out of preview a long time ago.

I tend to think compatibility tags here would tend to make Unity look bad. A search of assets that support a tech release for example would be tiny. There are few assets that support SRP and most of those only support LTS releases due to how painful upgrades have been so far.

9. Le_Tai

Le_Tai

Yeah that my bad.
    Translucent Image support builtin and URP. It from the time when built-in RP support is a given so the store description only mention URP. I never thought to update that.
    True Shadow is in beta so I haven't thoroughly tested everything yet, but should support all pipelines.

10. gilley033

gilley033

It's almost 2024 and they still haven't added a way to refine your search according to which SRP (or built in) is supported by the asset . . . that is quite simply mind boggling.

vertexx and SunnySunshine like this.