Search Unity

Asset store licensing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by eco_bach, Feb 1, 2021.

1. eco_bach

eco_bach

Can anyone clarify for me whether its ok to take a purchased asset from the asset store and use the code as part of a larger commercial application?

2. sxa

sxa

That really depends on whether its a larger commercial application made in Unity or not.

For anything bought on the Asset Store, assume the licensing is for use within Unity only.

That doesnt preclude you approach the developer directly for licensing for some other platform or engine, though.

3. eco_bach

eco_bach

Thanks. So as long as the end result is Unity and I'm not redistributing the actual source code I assume I should be ok.

4. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

There license is at the link below. Scroll down to "Asset Store End User License Agreement" about halfway down the page.

https://unity3d.com/legal/as_terms

The gist of it as far as your questions, whenever you get anything from the store you need to check if it mentions any additional restrictions. The vast majority of assets do not, so are just fine for commercial use. A very small minority of assets have restrictions on commercial use.

If you're part of a large team, you will want to pay attention to whether an asset is licensed per seat. For those assets you'll need 1 license per developer, instead of 1 license for your company.

There's no requirement that assets purchased on the Asset Store must be used with Unity specifically,