Search Unity

Asset Store in Unity freezing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by brian1gramm1, May 9, 2019.

1. brian1gramm1

brian1gramm1

I noticed recently that the new asset store is the only version now available in the unity editor. Before I could choose to use the old version, and I would always choose to bc the new version seems to be very laggy, and occasionally freezes up. Well, now that I can't choose the old version, I'm getting constant freezes in unity when I try to move through the asset store and the other views if the asset store tab is open. And by freezing I mean that I can not click anything else in the unity editor until it unfreezes.

I have versions 18.3, 18.2 and 17.1 and it occurs on all versions.

Is there some feature that may be causing this lag and freeze up that I can remove?

2. rasto61

rasto61

That's just the 'new' asset store experience; forum.unity.com/threads/asset-store-site-upgrade
    The 'use old store' button is still there if that helps, you just have to search at the bottom of the store.

3. BradZoob

BradZoob

Shame you can't download Assets from it though, i have 1100 Assets and can't access a single one from the editor as Unity just freezes, this happens in all versions of Unity presently.

4. Cheeeese

Cheeeese

Same here, I got 1205 Assets and cant do anything with the in Editor assets store. It freezes and lags, its unusable. It's 2019.1.7f1 and it's still broke. I wish they use a standalone utility to do this because this imbedded browser is not working.

5. Amon

Amon

This has been discussed numerous times, including by myself, and there is no end in sight for this problem with the asset store in unity.

Believe me you are not alone. It blights us all and our forum noise regarding this issue has fallen on deaf ears.

6. sxa

sxa

There's a thread about the new store being unresponsive elsewhere, off the announcement that the old store is going to be removed. In it, someone from UT points out that there's only a tiny percentage of people still using the old V1 store, which doesnt have these responsiveness issues. Anecdotally, the more assets you have, the less responsive the new store, and if you're using the new store it may also freeze the rest of the Unity UI.

I'd urge everyone who find the new version problematic, especially within Unity, to revert to the old store; it'll help with problems -and- be visible to UT that the new version isnt good enough and the old version is still required.

UT made access to the old store much harder to find (which probably skews those numbers!) but it is accessible within Unity, right down at the very bottom of the new store page, there's clickable text which says 'Revert to Old Store' beside the currency selector. Inside Unity, you will need to make the Asset Store wider than normal to see it, though, around 1000 pixels wide (half an HD screen). And its not a sticky choice, you'll need to do it every time.

7. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Having to do this within unity every time I use the asset store is a big pet peeve right now.

I get it, they decided to destroy the asset store and piss everyone off in the process, its okay we are past it. But why make the revert to old version even harder to use, knowing lots of people make a choice to use it? I think I would stop caring as much if I didnt have to do this song and dance every single time

8. BradZoob

BradZoob

My god this is frustrating, how on earth could such a simple thing to fix remain outstanding, at least give us API access so we can build our own damned store integration if they're incapable of understanding web technologies. yeesh.

Murgilod likes this.
  9. Murgilod

Murgilod

I posted this in the thread in the asset store forum. I have 152 assets, for whatever clarity that may bring.

It is honestly shameful that the asset store performs as poorly as it does. If I turned out products this bad, I'd be out of work.