Search Unity

Asset Store EULA and Using Assets in Contracted Work

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by landon912, Oct 22, 2017.

1. landon912

landon912

Hey guys,

I plan to take on contracted work in the future with a partner. However, we are interested in the legal and professional implications of using assets from the asset store in contracted work.

For example, I take a job to complete a simple mobile game for a client.

1) What are the legal hurdles? My current understanding is that:
    • Obviously my company needs a license.
    • My client needs to purchase a license/I need to purchase a license registered to them?
    Is this correct? What would be the best way to go about this?

2) What are your thoughts about the professionalism of this?
    • By default, we would plan to create all original artwork, but perhaps use code frameworks when it would be beneficial. Theoretically, this would allow us to save our client money by cutting our working hours. We plan to be very transparent and obviously give the customer the option.
    If you were interested in working with a game development studio to develop your game, how would you view this proposition?

Thanks,
    Landon

2. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

If it would save me time and money, and the quality was "good enough" then why not.

3. ikazrima

ikazrima

Depends. Did you only provide the APK or also include the source? If you need to give the source, then maybe an option is actually to purchase licenses using their account and just use that.

4. landon912

landon912

We provide the source. It’s my understanding that both I and they need individual licenses since we are two separate legal entities.

5. LaneFox

LaneFox

Just invoice them for the licenses to the assets.

6. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

This ^^^

7. TonyLi

TonyLi

^ Yes that, but buy them under an account made for them, not your own account. You can't transfer licenses. This way they can download updates.

You may also need to buy multiple seats for them if it's a seat license or if they have people accessing the source project in physically different locations.

Sanhueza likes this.