Search Unity

Asset Store Dollar/Euros conversion

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by sicga123, Jun 30, 2015.

1. sicga123

sicga123

This morning assets were being sold for 22.80 euros, this afternoon they're now at 26.80 euros this seems a big increase, and no indication why. Any ideas? It can't just be the conversion rate and it would mean a whopping increase in VAT. So any idea why this has happened?

2. LaneFox

LaneFox

Prices can be changed anytime.

3. sicga123

sicga123

Prices haven't changed. It looks like it has something to do with the VAT and how it is being applied. It's confusing because I am working in Germany temporarliy and Unity are applying euros as the currency and not dollars but I am buying assets in pounds. Plus yesterday an item that cost 22.80 was 19 euros plus VAT and now it is 22.80 euros plus VAT. Confusing as anything.

4. Ostwind

Ostwind

Any example asset?

5. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Well maybe the euro went to S*** after the grexit

6. faduci

faduci

They adjusted all prices to a more realistic EUR-USD conversion. The Euro has been falling in value for a couple of months, while the prices remained the same. An asset costing e.g. USD 75 was available for EUR 57 yesterday, today the price is EUR 67 plus VAT. The current exchange rate for USD 75 would be EUR 67.37. So assuming that the US prices are the base line, the Euro zone sort of was lucky for the last few months by paying less than the US for the same assets.

7. MoonbladeStudios

MoonbladeStudios

an announcement would have been nice... just saying... especially because it's a pretty big change...

8. Cscompo

Cscompo

Hi,

Today strange things happen on asset store,

normally 1 euro = 1.11 dollar
    but on asset store 1.08 euro = 1 dollar
    ( for one dollar is almost nothing but on 100 dollars asset..... )

what's happened ?
    Due to taxes / tva , the "Second bug" =P ?

Any ideas ?

9. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

I'm not answering on behalf of Unity because I don't know.

But I think EUR prices include taxes.

So a $100 asset would cost around 90EUR, but would be charged at 108EUR if the VAT rate was 20% (like it is in the UK).

10. nuverian

nuverian

Cscompo is somewhat correct.
    Today all asset prices went up, by an amount I can't realy pinpoint. Yesterday all prices were different (lower).
    I can't really tell why.

11. Cscompo

Cscompo

Yes, Yesterday all prices were different (lower on euros) on asset store.
    That's why I'm wondering.

And today, on a lot of shops prices are always lower in euros.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  12. Thomas-K989

Thomas-K989

Unity Technologies

Yes. The EUR exchange rate on the Asset Store was changed today.

All packages on the Asset Store are priced and paid for to the publishers in USD. EUR prices are calculated based on a fixed exchange rate between USD and EUR. This exchange rate has - until today - not changed since the Asset Store launched almost 5 years ago. But the value of the EUR compared to the USD in the real world has.

The EUR exchange rate introduced today is practically today's public exchange rate. This has resulted in an increase in EUR prices. But actually it means that EUR prices are now valued correctly towards the USD.

In practice the Asset Store has for a long time favored EUR prices with a 15% discount due to our 5 year old exchange rates. This discount didn't cut into the publishers' revenue cut, but solely into Unity's cut, since publishers are always paid based on the official USD price.

You should also be aware that all non-company customers based within the EU are charged local VAT of their country of residence. You can see the added VAT percentage at the bottom of the page. For some this might be why you calculate the EUR price to be higher than the USD price.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  13. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

14. YX_Iain

YX_Iain

For those of us who live in the EU but who's local currency is not the Euro, why are we not allowed to pay the price in dollars and let PayPal do the currency conversion?

Edit: Just remembered, Unity is based in Europe rather than the US, whoopsie!

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
    MoonbladeStudios likes this.
  15. ippdev

ippdev

Frikkin' bankster games. I suggest ya' all building zombie games replace the zombies with goldman-sucks executrons. Can us US folks that have tools going live or live on the store offer our Euro brothers and sisters a break so the aren't hit by the shenanigans at USB, DeutscheBank and Brussels. God bless the Greeks folks and to my fellow Greek developers here and other Euro pals.

16. Pecek

Pecek

Will this affect subscriptions too?

17. sicga123

sicga123

I realised Unity had probably not been adjusting the exchange rate and decided to do so. Fair enough. The budget for my game is the same whether Unity reduced the amount that should have been charged or not, I will just have to make do with less models for the same price. Probably just stop impulse purchases. It was good while it lasted.

18. MoonbladeStudios

MoonbladeStudios

it would have been nice for unity to post an announcement. i don't understand why unity doesn't solve it's communication problem. i think most of us would be ok with this price increase if they would have posted an announcement.

19. Pix10

Pix10

"All prices are exclusive of VAT"

Perhaps prices were listed inclusive of VAT previously? (Might be wrong - we get it deducted at source so haven't really noticed!)

20. sicga123

sicga123

Unity was just reducing the asset by 15% by not applying the right exchange rate. The company was taking a hit on it apparently, now the situation has been corrected.

21. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

I've just merged and moved this thread, for those looking for the update, it's here ^ (click to expand)

22. blackbird

blackbird

well done unity from now on i will never buy anything from the asset store

23. VIC20

VIC20

First of all, it is totally correct to use the new conversion.

But sorry, the statement about the conversion is misleading and anybody can check that online. Most of the time over the last 5 years the Euro way above your exchange rate of 1.31. You can't really say it favored EUR prices with a 15% discount for a long time when the truth is that more than 50% of the time it was opposite.

The price is below your old exchange rate for just 10 months now but since march the Euro is slowly recovering. It seems it was OK to make everything more expensive to the euro customers when it was to your favor but as soon as it is a disadvantage for you over a time of just 10 months you change the rate when it is comparable low.

We all know that from the beginning Unity was a multinational company based in denmark later with offices all over the planet and a (comparable new) HQ in the USA. Copenhagen is still the biggest office, how many of your staff is paid in Danish Krone or EUR anyway? (btw: compared to the last 5 years the EUR-DKK rate is currently pretty good)

I have no problem when you use the exchange rates to your favor but please don't try to advertise it to us as if you were losing money most of the time due to your Euro-Customers when the opposite is correct.

So instead of telling us about your feelings about the exchange rate it would be more interesting to hear why it isn't possible to change the exchange rate each day like it should be.

Just for the record: this graphic of the last 5 years shows when the Euro was higher than your exchange rate.

euro.png

nuverian and blackbird like this.