Search Unity

Asset Store doesn't allow downloading if version is even slightly different

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by HonoraryBob, Jul 3, 2017.

1. HonoraryBob

HonoraryBob

I'm trying to download a free asset which was submitted with a slightly newer version than the one I'm using, so it won't let me download it despite the fact that it should work fine. This is a huge pain in the rear end, and completely arbitrary.

2. HonoraryBob

HonoraryBob

Is there a workaround for this? We shouldn't need to upgrade Unity just to download stock assets which work with any version, but right now if an asset was submitted using a newer version - even slightly newer - it's impossible to download. Upgrading can be a huge undertaking if a project is already far along in development, and for me it isn't feasible. Surely there must be an alternative way to download stuff from the asset store?

3. Dreamwriter

Dreamwriter

The problem is what you mentioned - “upgrading can be a huge undertaking”. The asset in the store will have the same issues, it may have been made using new API calls that are in the new Unity version, that aren’t compatible with the old version, and the updates may have been made to remove old calls that are deprecated in the new upgrade.

Having said that, here’s a hacky workaround for what you want to do. Download and install the new Unity version alongside your current old one (in a different folder), create an empty project in the new Unity and download the asset into that, then copy the files into your project (making sure your project is backed up somewhere first) and then open your project in your old version of Unity.

If the new assets don’t work in your older version of Unity, there is another thing you can do, though Unity says it’s a last-resort. If the new assets don’t import correctly into your old Unity project, then do it again, but when opening Unity there’s a commandline feature to make Unity try and downgrade the assets to the older version, you can see the option here: https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/CommandLineArguments.html - enableIncompatibleAssetDowngrade.

4. Jaimi

Jaimi

The only suggestion I have is to install a later version of Unity in a separate folder, and download the package with it.
    You can then open the older unity with your project, and import the package manually by using the "Assets/Import/Custom Package" menu item, and browsing to the package.

Windows: %AppData%\Unity\Asset Store-5.X\
    Mac: ~/Library/Unity/Asset Store/

5. Novacane89

Novacane89

I have to say it is a REAL PAIN in the rear end... I mean regardless of the Unity Version !!!! Many times i wanted to get an audio file asset or just a 3d Model Character with its animations and i cant download it because i need Unity 2017. YES YES i know unity projects aren't backward compatible... But i don't need it to be!! I just want the audio file!!! Tell me what audio file works in Unity 2017 and NOT in unity 5.5 mmm? They should provide an alternative way where you conceed that the Asset MIGHT not work and that is your problem if it does not work. ... then provide the ability to get the asset data after you agreed to this... Its not rocket science!

FiveFingerStudios and bruh0 like this.