Search Unity

Asset Store declined... but why?

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by kag359six, Jul 11, 2012.

1. kag359six

kag359six

[I have a pack of 3d models that I submitted for the asset store. I got two emails, one saying that the package needs more documentation, and 15 minutes later i get a declined email. Here's what they said in order:
    email 15 minutes later:

The problem i have with the second email is the lack of reasoning. I see things on the asset store that dont look like quality products, but they still were accepted. I understand they can reject it for any reason, but I would like to know that reason.

I re-submitted my package with a read me letter that said the following and it was declined again saying to read the previous letters.
    So why exactly was my package declined? Was it lack of quality or the documentation? If it's my documentation, any suggestions for improvement? And by documentation do they mean the readme.txt in your package or the description?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  2. kalamona

kalamona

Well, maybe the quality wasn't high enough. Otherwise you should probably add a "demo scene" with your 3d models in it, and the camera orbiting around them or so. Kinda like THIS.

3. stimarco

stimarco

The second email looks like an automated reply. It's the first email that's important; you are required to include at least a simple README RTF file (or PDF) with your package.

This should be in the root folder of the package when you ZIP it up for submission: i.e. when your customer opens the top-most folder of your asset package in Unity, that README.TXT file should appear in there, so users can open it and read it. I'd recommend using either PDF or RTF for this as the older ".TXT" format doesn't have a standard for line endings, so what appears fine on Windows may come across as one very long line or wall of text on a Mac, and vice-versa. RTF and PDF files avoid this problem and also support graphics and fancy text should you feel the need for those.

You cannot just write the text into the Asset Store text description bit. That's not sufficient. Nor can you just write the docs into a supporting email. The documentation—even your short paragraph—must appear in the package itself.

I'd recommend including some images showing how the various components can be used, as well as some basic information for each Prefab, such as texture size(s), shader suggestions, and the number of polygons. This is info your customers will likely find useful—especially if they're not artists themselves.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  4. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Have you tried emailing them back they will respond (at least sometimes).

5. unityjohan

unityjohan

We apologize for the confusion and inconvenience this has caused. The whole case is a misunderstanding and was caused by us as we accidentally sent kag359six some feedback regarding a package belonging to another publisher. We do NOT expect or require art providers to provide documentation :)

We have contacted kag359six and sent him relevant feedback. The reason why we declined the package was due to the large number of meshes, each with separate textures, included in the package. They add up to a lot of draw calls.

Again, sorry for the mixup!

Cheers
    Carl-Johan Kristiansson
    Content Management Support | Asset Store

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012