Search Unity

Asset Store and Prepaid Gift Cards

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by derf, Dec 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. derf

derf

I am asking this to mostly US Unity Developers. Have you used any Prepaid Gift Cards in the last 3 months on the Asset Store?

Did it work? Did you have any problems?

Which of the gift cards do you suggest as the one with the least amount of issues?

I used a Vanilla Gift Card sponsored by Visa and it has been declined 3 times. I than used it at a fast food Chinese food place and it worked fine so the card was good.

So do prepaid gift cards work on the asset store and which ones do you suggest? Thanks. :)

2. CaptCanada

CaptCanada

I haven't tried using a prepaid Visa card but I know that it works with my Visa debit card.

3. Murgilod

Murgilod

Just make sure to go to the gift card and register it so it passes security checks and it should be fine.

4. derf

derf

Doesn't seem like we can buy assets on the asset store with a Prepaid Gift Card anymore. They are being auto rejected by the issuer. I tried a Visa and Master Card gift card on the normal process and through the PayPal account I have and both fail to process. This sucks.

5. derf

derf

This is an update for those in the united states who plan or have used prepaid gift cards in the past to buy assets off the asset store.

As of April 1st 2012, you can no longer use prepaid gift cards (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, etc.) on foreign websites which the asset store currently is outside of the US.

The following link http://www.giftcards.com/gcgf/giftcards-work-internationally explains it in better detail.

So if you are in the United States, you must either use a bank debit card that allows outside purchases either directly or through PayPal. I think if you have funds in your PayPal account those will be used, can anyone confirm that?

Also an additional update, a straight credit card with any of the large credit card companies will still work, I suggest setting up PayPal account and attaching a low credit available card to it and using that for those who are in a bind like me. Any way...as you were.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
    a_engel123 and darkAbacus247 like this.
  6. boxhallowed

boxhallowed

Are you kidding me? I wish someone would have said something AT THE ASSET STORE PAGE. I just went out and picked up a prepaid mastercard for the express purpose of purchasing assets, and now I'm out $100 with this crappy card. Thanks for the update.

7. Samuel411

Samuel411

Is there a way to put that into paypal or link it to paypal? If you can then you can checkout with paypal on the asset store. Good luck.

8. boxhallowed

boxhallowed

No, you can't. Apparently Visa & Mastercard have an issue with Paypal where you can't use gift-cards to pay to a Paypal account. I ended up taking it back and buying a money order because surprise, you can't get a refund or cash off the card either. They are useless.

9. DeLong

DeLong

Well, wish I would've read this forum BEFORE I got a gift card to buy some assets. Got one yesterday because I don't want to use my bank card - and stopped using PayPal years ago. I could use a normal CC, but I am using my personal budget money. It's not a huge deal to use the normal CC, but I thought a gift card would be simpler. Guess I'll be buying coffee and lunch with that card now.

10. orb

orb

For those of you in Europe there's Revolut. MasterCard debit, virtual and physical extra cards with different reserves, fair exchange rate (basically no fees until generous limits are reached) and usable all over the world. Works with PayPal too.

It's worked perfectly for me on the Asset Store so far. If you have a Visa/MC gift card I believe you can top up a Revolut account with it, since the top-ups are just like regular debit/credit card purchases. It's become my Internet shopping card.

Disclaimer: Needs a smartphone to do anything with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.